The leaky roof saga continues!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DanielFord, Jan 11, 2016.

1. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Well after a night of truly awful weather, I woke up this morning to the familiar dripping water coming from the air conditioning unit. I thought I had got to the bottom of all the leaks but apparently not.

I have spent the day investigating, and fingers crossed, I think I have found the culprit. The seal around the skylight hole looks as if it has failed. Because we have had so much rain, there is a wet patch on the roof timber, which I have never had before.

So it is off to the garage to have the air con unit removed and resealed. Hopefully this will be the last of the leaks!

• Like Like x 3
  2. f6c

f6c Funster

Sorry to read about your leaking roof, hope you get it fully sorted.

3. Pikeman

Pikeman Funster

I had aircon on the roof. The weight of it bowed the roof and created puddles, which went over the top of the crap seal that had been used when it was originally fit. Had to have the van on a slight incline if there was any chance of rain, otherwise there was water coming in. I eventually realised that it was a worthless piece of kit, as the only time we would use it would be at night and the blower fan would keep us awake. I took it off and put a roof light back in. No more leaks, saving on weight and much more natural light. Sorted!!

Keith :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  4. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

@Pikeman I know what you are saying, but we do travel to places where the air con is an absolute must!

Poking around on the roof, I have found exactly what the issue is! When the unit was fitted, it should have had mastic strips laid around the roof light hole, the air con unit would then sit on these and seal. The people who fitted it instead opted to go mad with sikaflex, which got pushed out under the weight while it was curing. Meaning there is virtually no sealant at the rear of the opening. In attempt to cure the problem, I ran a bead of sealant around the base of the unit, this partially cured the issue, but of course the aircon unit has drainage holes in its base to allow water to run off onto the roof. So when it rains really hard, rain goes into the unit, and then comes in through the unsealed opening!

I do actually feel better when I find a solution, I'll be ecstatic when it is fixed :D