The Italian Lakes

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Norm, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Norm

Norm Funster

We are planning a first trip to italy in mid April. We propose to spend some time in and around the Lakes generally but not confident of the weather. If it's not likely to be good we might head down to the Monaco area for a week or two and then back up. Lake Maggiore is our favoured destination and we would appreciate any advice as to routes, stopovers etc. Just be gratefull to learn of others experiances. We will be crossing through the tunnel to Calais and then have 6 or more weeks ahead of us. If there is a Lakeside campsite on Maggiore that would be our ideal but we have yet to trace one.
    Norm

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

For the route we meandered down through France to Chamonix and went through the Mont Blanc tunnel. We took our time about it - Calais to Garda took us a week.

Can't help with Maggiore as we haven't been there yet.

3. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

We are off to Italy next week and are planning to go via the Mont Blanc tunnel. Is it likely to be closed for snow? Can you recommend a route that avoids most tolls also please?

4. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mr Mousy

Mr Mousy Funster Life Member

How can a tunnel be full of snow?

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. NickNic

I never try and avoid tolls so can't help with that although from memory it's not that bad on the direct (ish) route from Calais to Chamonix anyway.

You can get live weather reports for the area here The tunnel is a main route so I think it's got to be pretty bad to close it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Unfortunately most of those routes ended up in North East Italy, whereas I want to end up in North West Italy - first place I want is on the Med coast Genoa way. Mind you just seen how much the Mont Blanc tunnel is and I am having second thoughts!!!!!!!

How much will it cost for a vignette through Switzerland I wonder with a 4.5t motorhome less than 3m high?

8. NickNic

You can't get the vignette over 3.5t.

You need to pay the Heavy Vehicle Fee which is actually cheaper for a short visit. It's €3.25 per day and you have to prepay for a minimum of 10 days so €32.50

• Like Like x 3
  9. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

I am 4.5t and it was cheaper to do the 10 day thing cant remember price a nice coach driver showed me how to fill out the form. I have the form in van if you cant find info I will dig it out let you know price if needs be

• Like Like x 2
  10. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Do you do this at the first stop over the border or before you cross? Does that then cover all motorways and tunnels? If so cheaper than Mont Blanc which is 57 Euros one way.

11. NickNic

At the border. It's for all roads, there's no way to avoid it.

Depending on how you're getting there it may or may not be a better option. If you're taking your time then the cost of stopping for a night in Switzerland will make your eyes water. If you're going to blast straight through then it might be the way to go for you.

We love Chamonix so stopping there for a couple of days on the way down is what we would choose to do whenever possible. That makes the tunnel the obvious choice.

• Like Like x 1
  12. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Thanks. We are heading for some spring sunshine in Italy (we hope) so not sure the wife will be keen to stop in the Alps. In case I can persuade her is than an Aire or site you can recommend at Chamonix?

13. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I think it to early...wait till May, very risky.

This the virtually no toll route we take but pay the vignette for Switzerland or toll free Via Austria (another days driving) This year would have been our 13th but health now in the way. We like Lake Iseo nearbye, so have a week there but head for site near Salo. Camping Fornella.

The Islands on Maggiore lovely on a boat trip but once done....prefer all the other lakes...Have fun we adore Italy:)

I can get home on this route with two overnights...tend to tour down. Oh Cheap fuel at Luxembourg...

Eddie

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Calais,+France/Salò,+Province+of+Brescia,+Italy/@48.0805362,1.699355,6z/data=!4m20!4m19!1m10!1m1!1s0x47dc3f75d7f1e363:0xacbed9e08cd279f4!2m2!1d1.858686!2d50.95129!3m4!1m2!1d5.2458681!2d50.0753151!3s0x47c1cd6876491811:0x82c7c9e2b14f46f7!1m5!1m1!1s0x47818e836d174831:0x40678022e671640!2m2!1d10.5263488!2d45.6180372!3e0!4e1

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

If you're going through Switzerland theres also cheap fuel at Livigno should you go that way.

• Like Like x 1
  15. NickNic

We just use the main aire at Chamonix. It's pretty basic - literally just the main public car park with water and waste in the corner. There are dedicated motorhome spaces but at busy times you will end up parked amongst the cars. It's not particularly cheap either - €12 per 24 hours last time we were there

If that's not for you then I know there are a couple of campsites but I don't know anything about them.

• Like Like x 1
  16. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Thanks Eddie, will look at that route. But too early for what?

We were not planning on staying in the mountains or the lakes, just aiming to get down to the Mediterranean and a run through the 5 terres, Pisa, Rome, Naples area and the Amalfi coast, with maybe taking in Florence on the way back

17. Rapido925M

Rapido925M Funster

Driving a MH along the Amalfi coast is a bit of a problem: the roads are twisty, narrow and have Italian drivers attempting to commit suicide coming in the opposite direction (and sometimes in the same direction)!

Not only that, but MHs are (were?) banned on some sections at some periods of the day/year (Sorry I can't remember exact details: CHECK!) - Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  18. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

We found it easy on Maggiore, Iseo, and Garda, lots of campsites, dont book just turn up with ACSI unless you go in August. Como was a problem, small roads, crazy drivers, gave up on Como. Everything else was easy peasy.
    Didnt use any toll roads at all.
    Phil

• Like Like x 1
  19. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Thanks. I am planning to stay at the campsite at Sorrento for a few days and use the scooter or take the bus or boat to get around the coast and to Capri. That should be OK shouldn't it?

20. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

A couple more questions I have about going through Switzerland please. How do you pay the charge - do they accept credit cards? Also once you have paid can you use all the roads, motorways and tunnels without paying tolls?

Many thanks for any help you can give.