The Importance Of A Second Driver

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by normanandsue, Apr 29, 2015.

1. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Have just arrived in France on our way to Twin Lakes meet and arrived at Maileraye sur seine when I managed a heavy fall resulting in bruised ribs,and a bruised hand that meant I could not change gear. If Sue had not been willing and able to drive the motorhome we would have stranded so to all you partners who wont drive the motorhome, be warned a simple accident like this could spoil your holiday. Fortunately Sue was able to drive and we shall arrive at the meet not to discomforted by our experience.

• Like Like x 23
  2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Jan doesn't have a licence (yet), nor did my first wife, so for the past 40 odd years I've been on my tod.. hope my luck holds.
    A co-driver would also be useful on long hauls..

• Like Like x 4
  3. Spidey

Spidey Funster

Totally agree we have had our motorhome for a year now and i have still not driven it :-(. But it is on my list to do this year :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have taken swmbo off the insurance, as she cannot and will not drive the mh. While she was on the insurance it was expected that she could drive and so the repatriation bit of the insurance wouldnt pay out.
    Bruises pah! A year or so back I drove back with a broken arm on my gearchange side. Swmbo, a nurse, said I was being a baby and it was only a sprain. An xray on our return proved her wrong.

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. jonsea

jonsea Funster

My wife don't drive the van so this year I will put my son on the insurance this is just in case something happens while we are in Spain then he will fly out .We have spoke about it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  6. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

I plan on driving our PVC as much as Ralph. Although I could Drive , I got into the habit of him driving our previous Motorhome.
    I would have been able to if there was a problem though. But I'm going to start as I mean to go on. The Pug Boxer drives like a car anyway. You forget it's an xlwb. It's got 6 gears like my car and cruise control .
    Me being on the PVC , Ralphs pick up and our sons car as a named driver, reduces the insurance quite a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  7. English Springer

English Springer

I'm glad to say the other half will and does drive the MH when asked to take over in any country. She prefers motorways but will drive in towns if needs must but she doesn't like me as a passenger so I (try to) keep quiet :lipssealed:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

9. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Val drives our van 99% of the time when we're away, while I do the map reading and criticizing other drivers (y)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Findlaters

Findlaters Funster

Up until last year I included my wife on the MH insurance even though she had no intention of driving it, as it saved a few quid. When I phoned to renew last year I asked why it was cheaper with my wife on the policy and was told that if anything happened to me she would be expected to drive the MH home. As she would not be confident to do this, I took her name off the policy. It turned out to be a smart move as a couple of months later I had heart attack while down in Norfolk and the insurance company recovered the MH to North East Scotland. So the moral is, only put your wife on the insurance if she intends to drive it.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. Murphy

Murphy Funster

Both myself and the wife share the driving, we plan out the legs of the trips and breaks, she prefers motorways or main roads and I tend to get start and end legs when roads tend to be narrower or more complex,
    Ensures we both arrive relaxed and ready to get set up and get to pub in good time !

12. Pikeman

Pikeman Funster

Wife is on the policy and we share the drive. I will drive short haul, but we now discipline ourselves on long haul to 2 hours on 2 hours off. It makes such a difference to enjoying the journey.

Keith :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  13. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

My wife wasn't confident enough to drive our van until last year when she went on a motorhome movability course with the CC now she drives the middle section on most of our trips and it was money well spent and I arrive on site quite relaxed. :)

14. keith

keith Funster

Once you are both over 70 it all changes unless you are both prepared, or able, to renew the C1 part of your license. No chance Jean could do that, so no option then, so get ADAC to take the strain.

• Like Like x 2
  15. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    My passenger seat is always empty.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Can't agree more with the OP! A few years ago we both got severe sunburn whilst canoeing down the Ardeche gorge (28.5km!) - we didn't realise how strong the sun was and the effect the water had on intensify the rays ... I ended up with burnt legs - worse on my thighs as, fortunately, my lower legs were more used to the sun, but hubby's lower legs, ankles and feet got second-degree burns! We visited a pharmacist who said "Ooooo la-la" in shock (yes they really DO say that!) and sent us straight round to the local doctor who took one look at hubby and took him straight in - she though he had actually been in a fire, she was all over him like a rash checking this and that as apparently severe sunburn/burns can cause heart problems!!!! :eek:

His ankles and feet swelled up and he had massive blisters developing a day later ... his new nick-name was Shrek feet - I couldn't laugh too much though as he was in severe pain! As my ankles/feet weren't as badly affected I could still drive so did the long run back up from Millau ... in a MH over 7m long which I hadn't driven previously (we hadn't had it that long) and I had never ever driven abroad at all, not even in a previous MH! :eek: It was still painful and I utilised a walking stick to hold the throttle pedal down at times when on long stretches of motorway etc, it was also very tiring but we eventually up to Calais ... I did it in 5 days and during most of that time hubby couldn't even get out of the dinette bed which we'd made up as there was no way he could get in the one over the garage! He was then off work for 2 weeks.

So if you are on the insurance then drive the MH! We couldn't have anticipated what happened and whilst I was okay driving it would have been easier if I'd been familiar with it beforehand! (y)

• Like Like x 3
  17. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

Have always done most of the driving, am a bad passenger lol This lets john have a few more beers when abroad as I wont drink after 6pm if driving the next day and don't much like drinking in the daytime, alcohol that is.

18. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

My wife can drive but will no,t she says I will criticise her driving, I do not when she drives the car so why would I do in the van.
    She used to own a long wheel base Transit and that is only what we have now but with a long overhang. If I buy another small van then she may, but I am not holding my breath.

19. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

I'm fortunate, SWMBO drives fire engines for a living and has an LGV licence. Conversely, I rarely drive a car, mostly hurtling about on motorcycles. So whilst we can and do share the MH driving, I'd say she is more competent than I in a vehicle of that size.

However, she's a bit "driving Miss Daisy" on her Kawasaki though, not big on lean angle :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Petrol_headz

Petrol_headz Funster

We share the driving usually i drive on my own to somewhere and set up and make a start on the wine :) as paul works late he then turns up later on in the car to a fully set up van and tea ready for him.
    on way home paul drives van i drive car. It works for us. :)