The Importance Of A Second Driver (1 Viewer)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Have just arrived in France on our way to Twin Lakes meet and arrived at Maileraye sur seine when I managed a heavy fall resulting in bruised ribs,and a bruised hand that meant I could not change gear. If Sue had not been willing and able to drive the motorhome we would have stranded so to all you partners who wont drive the motorhome, be warned a simple accident like this could spoil your holiday. Fortunately Sue was able to drive and we shall arrive at the meet not to discomforted by our experience.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Totally agree we have had our motorhome for a year now and i have still not driven it :-(. But it is on my list to do this year :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have taken swmbo off the insurance, as she cannot and will not drive the mh. While she was on the insurance it was expected that she could drive and so the repatriation bit of the insurance wouldnt pay out.
Bruises pah! A year or so back I drove back with a broken arm on my gearchange side. Swmbo, a nurse, said I was being a baby and it was only a sprain. An xray on our return proved her wrong.

Sep 9, 2011
Worcester
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
My wife don't drive the van so this year I will put my son on the insurance this is just in case something happens while we are in Spain then he will fly out .We have spoke about it.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I plan on driving our PVC as much as Ralph. Although I could Drive , I got into the habit of him driving our previous Motorhome.
I would have been able to if there was a problem though. But I'm going to start as I mean to go on. The Pug Boxer drives like a car anyway. You forget it's an xlwb. It's got 6 gears like my car and cruise control .
Me being on the PVC , Ralphs pick up and our sons car as a named driver, reduces the insurance quite a lot.

English Springer

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
I'm glad to say the other half will and does drive the MH when asked to take over in any country. She prefers motorways but will drive in towns if needs must but she doesn't like me as a passenger so I (try to) keep quiet :lipssealed:

Findlaters

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Into our 4th year
Up until last year I included my wife on the MH insurance even though she had no intention of driving it, as it saved a few quid. When I phoned to renew last year I asked why it was cheaper with my wife on the policy and was told that if anything happened to me she would be expected to drive the MH home. As she would not be confident to do this, I took her name off the policy. It turned out to be a smart move as a couple of months later I had heart attack while down in Norfolk and the insurance company recovered the MH to North East Scotland. So the moral is, only put your wife on the insurance if she intends to drive it.

Murphy

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Shire Conversion
Exp
Both myself and the wife share the driving, we plan out the legs of the trips and breaks, she prefers motorways or main roads and I tend to get start and end legs when roads tend to be narrower or more complex,
Ensures we both arrive relaxed and ready to get set up and get to pub in good time !

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Wife is on the policy and we share the drive. I will drive short haul, but we now discipline ourselves on long haul to 2 hours on 2 hours off. It makes such a difference to enjoying the journey.

Keith :cool:

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
My wife wasn't confident enough to drive our van until last year when she went on a motorhome movability course with the CC now she drives the middle section on most of our trips and it was money well spent and I arrive on site quite relaxed. :)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Once you are both over 70 it all changes unless you are both prepared, or able, to renew the C1 part of your license. No chance Jean could do that, so no option then, so get ADAC to take the strain.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can't agree more with the OP! A few years ago we both got severe sunburn whilst canoeing down the Ardeche gorge (28.5km!) - we didn't realise how strong the sun was and the effect the water had on intensify the rays ... I ended up with burnt legs - worse on my thighs as, fortunately, my lower legs were more used to the sun, but hubby's lower legs, ankles and feet got second-degree burns! We visited a pharmacist who said "Ooooo la-la" in shock (yes they really DO say that!) and sent us straight round to the local doctor who took one look at hubby and took him straight in - she though he had actually been in a fire, she was all over him like a rash checking this and that as apparently severe sunburn/burns can cause heart problems!!!! :eek:

His ankles and feet swelled up and he had massive blisters developing a day later ... his new nick-name was Shrek feet - I couldn't laugh too much though as he was in severe pain! As my ankles/feet weren't as badly affected I could still drive so did the long run back up from Millau ... in a MH over 7m long which I hadn't driven previously (we hadn't had it that long) and I had never ever driven abroad at all, not even in a previous MH! :eek: It was still painful and I utilised a walking stick to hold the throttle pedal down at times when on long stretches of motorway etc, it was also very tiring but we eventually up to Calais ... I did it in 5 days and during most of that time hubby couldn't even get out of the dinette bed which we'd made up as there was no way he could get in the one over the garage! He was then off work for 2 weeks.

So if you are on the insurance then drive the MH! We couldn't have anticipated what happened and whilst I was okay driving it would have been easier if I'd been familiar with it beforehand! (y)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have always done most of the driving, am a bad passenger lol This lets john have a few more beers when abroad as I wont drink after 6pm if driving the next day and don't much like drinking in the daytime, alcohol that is.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My wife can drive but will no,t she says I will criticise her driving, I do not when she drives the car so why would I do in the van.
She used to own a long wheel base Transit and that is only what we have now but with a long overhang. If I buy another small van then she may, but I am not holding my breath.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I'm fortunate, SWMBO drives fire engines for a living and has an LGV licence. Conversely, I rarely drive a car, mostly hurtling about on motorcycles. So whilst we can and do share the MH driving, I'd say she is more competent than I in a vehicle of that size.

However, she's a bit "driving Miss Daisy" on her Kawasaki though, not big on lean angle :)

Jul 21, 2013
Vienne France
Funster No
MH
VW T4 & MC LOUIS 671
Exp
2013 / 2004
We share the driving usually i drive on my own to somewhere and set up and make a start on the wine :) as paul works late he then turns up later on in the car to a fully set up van and tea ready for him.
on way home paul drives van i drive car. It works for us. :)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I know there are one or two exceptions but the general theme here seems to be that many of the ladies are reluctant to drive their 'vans despite being capable. Despite the fact that Jay used to tow a caravan, & drive a 7.5 tonne recovery truck all over the country, she is very reluctant to drive the camper.
I wonder why? she says she doesn't know herself.
Dave

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I managed a heavy fall resulting in bruised ribs,and a bruised hand

Hope you are feeling better, Norman... (y)

You will have to have a few day`s rest when you get there, and catch up on the quiz`s.. ;)

Jim&jo

Free Member
Apr 29, 2015
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Renault trafic t1000
Exp
Hi Norman,

Sorry to hear of your accident and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Having only just bought our camper, we have discussed this and my partner will be taking her first drive this evening after the rush hour traffic has died down. It's a fair bit bigger than her Fiat500 but she knows that it is better if we can both drive it. Fingers crossed!

James

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Improvisation, I once had a serious back problem that I had an operation for as soon as I arrived back from Norfolk. I couldn't bend or sit so I drove back the 140 miles standing up. There was just myself and my youngest who was around six, being a single parent at the time there was no other option. I was able to see the road through the over cab bed window. We laugh about it now but it was a pain at the time. I spent the day at Blakeney leaning across the sink watching my son through the window catching crabs then we set off after midnight propping myself up against the back of the seat. They don't make them like they used to.:)

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
That was the main reason for downsizing to a PVC , I was getting increasingly worried that my hubby might feel unwell or something untoward would happen and I would be thrown in at the deep end , I was very nervous moving the bigger van, the hand brake for one!!

Although he is still reluctant to let me in the driving seat, I have driven it (after he had a paddy) :D and got out of his seat when we were parked and said "you drive then" I did with no problem!! his only complaint is I don't drive fast enough for him , well tough Im not going to drive faster than I feel comfortable on the wrong side of the road.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
My wife can drive but will no,t she says I will criticise her driving, I do not when she drives the car so why would I do in the van.
She used to own a long wheel base Transit and that is only what we have now but with a long overhang. If I buy another small van then she may, but I am not holding my breath.

You men are your won worst enemy !! He cant leave me alone and keep quiet , yet he hates it if I tell him his speed when I think he is doing more than he should!!

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I'm glad to say the other half will and does drive the MH when asked to take over in any country. She prefers motorways but will drive in towns if needs must but she doesn't like me as a passenger so I (try to) keep quiet :lipssealed:

I drive at regular intervals to keep my hand in although OH does the lions share as he's useless at navigating.
I drove alone a lot in France last year while hubby and son cycled between campsites and purposely stayed off the motorwway. I wasn't confident of managing the tolls by myself.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
You men are your won worst enemy !! He cant leave me alone and keep quiet , yet he hates it if I tell him his speed when I think he is doing more than he should!!
I actually quite like being a passenger when Cindy drives, I just relax and be nosey at what is around us. I only get nervous when she attempts to encourage slow moving traffic in front to speed up via her close proximity

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back