The ideal motorhome layout

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wizzer59, Aug 18, 2009.

1. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

After renting one for a few days we think we know the basic motorhome layout we like.

We have been searching the internet and trawling shows and dealers trying to find OUR ideal motorhome layout, which is a fixed low level double bed with bathroom alongside it at the back, kitchen and wardrobe in the middle and two lounges either side at the front,
    a lot like the kon-tiki 665p, bolero 680fb, bessacarr e560 or bessacarr e765p all made by swift and all without exception lowlines, trouble is we like the traditional big lump over the cab (if only to give us somewhere to store lightweight bedding and stuff)

Can anyone think of any other motorhomes with this layout? what are the advantages and disadvantages of this layout? and what are the advantages and disadvantages of the lowline vs highline?

Tim

2. SpongeBobsDad

SpongeBobsDad Read Only Funster

ideal layout

check out the swift voyager685fb it`s got everything you have described that you want. I have one and i think that it is a fantastic van the only drawback for me personaly is that i miss the garage space that i had on my last burstner 647 levanto .

3. crazylazy

crazylazy Read Only Funster

Sad you are so far away my Bolero 680FB is for sale...although I have only had it a short while (see Advert) I think it is superb and when I get more time I will buy another one... hopefully the end of next year! storage under the bed is excellent and storage under the seating either saide is excellent as is the upper storage units the fridge is superb and large...I do not travel light!.....it drives like a dream has everything you will need and trust me it gives you that feel good factor. I hope you find what you are looking for.

4. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

5. Lincolnshire Rover

Lincolnshire Rover Read Only Funster

We have an Ace Airstream 680FB which is from the same mould as a Bessacar 560 and Swift Bolero 680FB the layout is superb loads of storage space a well designed layout our dream machine with a chipped up engine giving an average 33mpg not bad for a 3.5 tonner we upgraded from a Compass Suntor 115 which we thought was ideal , but the Ace is fantastic off again on thursday this time to France / Luxenbourg / Germany , can't wait.. :thumb:

6. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hi Ronny thanks for replying

Yes the 685fb would seem to be the nearest to our ideal but as there is only the two of us, we don't need the two transverse dinette seats and would prefer there to be another side lounger if you get my drift it also seems more spacious that way.

Yes I would prefer a high level rear bed with a garage but SWMBO sleep walks accasionely and is worried about falling off!!!!! do you think there is enough storage in the 685fb for extended trips of two or three months or more?? and do you know are swifts winterised or not??? we have a son living in the french alps!

Tim

7. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hi Crazylazy thanks for replying

We are not quite ready to buy yet, otherwise for the right van we will travel where ever it takes, after all we can then take as long as we like to get back:BigGrin:

Yes we think the van you have is just about the ideal the only thing it needs for us is the overcab bed.
    Can you tell me one thing, in your photos it shows a small table, is that the only one or is there a bigger one as well?

Tim

8. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

9. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi Tim,

Theres a fair selection of Kontikis and Boleros on my website plus variations on a theme on other makes.

Have a look, might give you some ideas.

Peter

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

That's very expensive storage. Ever mile you drive costs much more than a lowline design.

You were doing so well up to that line !

11. SpongeBobsDad

Hi Wizzer

12. SpongeBobsDad

Hi
    My answer would be it depends on how much you want to take away with you there`s plenty of storage under the bed, also all of the undeseat lockers are available for storage ,unlike most of the motorhomes i have owned before the fresh water tank is usualy sited in one of them. Also the over cab area would make ideal storage for more bulkier item`s (don`t forget to check the payload) It`s very easy to exeed.

As far as i know most motorhomes are equiped to withstand winter conditions but saying that i think a lot of the newer swift range with the water tanks fitted externaly underslung on the chassis may have to be winterised for extreme conditions ,i think Swift do a kit for this .Living in the van should prove no problems as they are well insulated and have blown air heating operating from either gas or mains electric.

Have you thought that the dinette layout does provide two extra belted passenger seats where as the double side lounger seats as fitted to the bollero and others like it don`t. You can all ways take the main dinette table off and leave it in its dedicated storage place to give you more floor space. I have just returned from a months holiday in France with 3 of us on board and found the living area big enough for us.

Anyway I could rant on for ever! all i can say is good luck on finding the perfect layout to suit your needs ,hope my advice has been usefull to you .

Ronny

13. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Thanks Peter will do, may well come and see you when we are closer to buying.

Tim

14. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hi Brian
    Yes I did wonder about that and it was going to be one of my questions at a later date, do you have experience between the two then??

15. bob and jules

bob and jules Read Only Funster

Hi, We have a bolero680fb and we love it! We travel as a couple (leaving the teenagers at home!) and we have found that there is plenty of space for the two of us- in fact, we can't fill the storage space!

We have recently had a look at other van layouts with an overhead cab but we decided that we would only store clutter up there plus we like the light that the big window over the cab in our bolero gives us.

There have been a couple of gripes with ours. Make sure that the habitation door fits correctly (we are waiting for a replacement) and we have had problems with the control panel display reversing itself. Swift have been great with us but they do seem to be having a problem rectifying the control panel fault. Everything works despite the problem so we don't really worry about it!!!!!

Good luck with your search - it's all very confusing isn't it!!!!

16. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

How about an A class like ours, exactly that layout. Itineo LB690. :thumb:

17. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I know we have The Bump on a 2l JTD 2003 Ducato and struggle to get 25mpg whereas the lowline brigade talk in the 30s. Some quote figures so high I think they must be on drugs.

Also FWD seems a poor choice to me, nothing but wheelspin when we want Traction.

So I would certainly be thinking in terms of RWD and lowline next time around.

18. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hi
    Thanks for that, I am going to ask everyone but what do you think is the advantages between A class and lowline coach built??:thumb:

19. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Hi, space and comfort in a nutshell. No draughts as the whole body is built as a unit. The Itineo is made by Rapido as a budget A class so well respected convertor and we have found the build quality better than the two Burstners we owned.

Here is a link if you want to see the layout

Midgley Motor Cars - Midgley Motor Cars

Regards Ken

20. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hi Brian

Thanks for that, I must admit the compass 180 we hired struggled to get those figures as well and my foots pretty light but I figured that being an old fashioned square design didn't help. So I may have a rethink there!!

Ive been driving Vans for work for the last 20 years or so and most of them have been fwd and its not something Im too concerned about as Id probably carry some mats to go in front of the wheels anyway, but don't get me wrong I'd rather have rwd on my cars, motorhomes the lot but as we will probably be buying second hand I don't want to restrict ourselfs even more. Mind you I do like the look of the new Transit.:thumb: