The Hymer is out!

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by jaykay, Jan 4, 2015.

1. jaykay

jaykay Read Only Funster

Well, we spent all day yesterday visiting showrooms at the ready to be persuaded to buy our motorhome.
    First stop Lowdhams at Gunsthorpe, and saw nothing we liked. We did look at an Aviano, but as much as it looked nice on the outside, it didn't impress on the inside. No double floor either which I believe was an option.
    Next stop David Fuller, to see the B660 Starline Hymer which we liked the look of. As soon as I opened the hab door, I could see all the plastics were extremely yellow. At first I thought it was a smokers van, but there was no sign of any smell so put it down to sun damage. The salesman came over, and whilst it was hissing down, he did have an umbrella. He was not very interested, and when I pointed out the faded and in some places cracked plastics, and enquired what his best price was, he came back after about 15 minutes and said he would knock £500 off! I laughed and he went on his way. What a salesman! Didn't even enquire about what we were looking for or offering any alternatives. We wont be going back.
    We then went over to Newark and Brownhills. They had nothing and explained they wont go over 10 years old and even though we are looking at under this age, they had nothing to suit. Nice salesman though and we will keep checking in. Had a nice lunch in the Bistro.
    Then onto SMC at Newark, to see an Adria Vision we had seen on Ebay. It turned out this was sold two months previously and was advertised without the consent of SMC even though it had their details on. They said this was a common problem. Nothing else of interest so we moved on.
    Last stop Camper UK at Lincoln, and would you believe it, another Adria Vision advertised on Ebay that was sold three months ago! So it is indeed a common problem. They did have a couple of Rapido 9096/9097's that we liked but only the 9097 had four belted seats. We may get a good offer from the dealer this week as he couldn't get it within our budget. Good attention from the sales staff without being too over pushy or full of crap so may well go back and do a deal if they can meet where we need to be.
    Still looking though.
    I did see the prices RS at Doncaster had on their ebay listings and got a little excited for a bit, then realised "if it looks too good....."

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I've seen "yellow Hymer plastics" on here quite recently, maybe a feature you will have to accept.

There's loads out there, keep your brain turned on and panic mode off.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

Interesting.....they are all the dealers we have been to. Have to say Lowdhams have always been very attentive to us. Good luck with your search. Hope you find THE one soon!

4. Portland

Portland Funster

Often the case with Hymers etc, is they are good quality but have no comfort in them. many Beds bunks and tables, live outside. These Germans must be made of sterner stuff than me. :whistle:

5. Printermick

Printermick Funster

When we were looking I was most impressed with Edgehill motorhomes near Mansfield. Found them very helpful. They did not have a van to suit us but we would suggest you give them a call.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Don't panic, keep looking.

Don't buy because you feel you have to - whilst the money is in your pocket you are in control.

Read up about the various dealers - people have different experiences of them ;).

• Like Like x 2
  7. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Hayes Leisure Walsall might have something -

• Like Like x 1
  8. jaykay

jaykay Read Only Funster

Lowdhams were ok, just didn't have anything suitable.

9. jaykay

jaykay Read Only Funster

I hear you, but its so hard when you've been waiting for years to be in the position to buy one!! :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Maybe too far ?
    .. Becks at Yarmouth .. heard some very good reports

have a couple of nice second hand Rapido's in stock

• Like Like x 3
  11. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I can vouch for them as an excellent dealer too.

• Like Like x 2
  12. MikeD

MikeD Funster

When we were hunting for a motorhome we also were impressed with Edgehill. I would be happy to recommend a visit to them as well (y)

Not sure if you know about this resource http://www.motorhome-dealer-reviews.com/

13. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

And us. (y)

14. signworks

signworks Funster Life Member

I would say becks were brilliant for us two would highly recommend them love family run business after sales first class as well

• Like Like x 1
  15. Badknee

Badknee Funster

It's a long way from you but google BCS Manchester, Paragon Ind Est, Canalside, Smithy Bridge, Littleborough, OL15 8QF.

We called when looking and all the MoHo's are undercover and very well presented, they may not have what you want but always worth a look or a phone call. I do know there stock changes rapidly.
    Good luck.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Debs

Debs Funster

@jaykay

Interesting to read your comments as these are our local dealers and we visited them all several times.

Agree about David Fuller - couldn't get on with them at all.

Is Oaktree too far for you? J26 M1? They have a big turnover so I would ring before you travel.

Out of all of them Edgehill were the most helpful but they usually go for LHD and >40k. But really lovely people.

The Adria Vision at Camper UK you mention is the one we bought from them. Very happy with the mh and them.

Good luck, keep looking.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Have you had a look at the one in Hull:

http://www.motorhomesltd.com/

Steve and his wife a very, very nice people (we've used their habitation/installation services in the past) and it might be an idea to given him as ring as I don't think all of this is stock is always on the web and he'll probably haggle with you too! (y)

18. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

If you travel to Becks at Martham, worth stopping at Simpsons at GtYarmouth.

19. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

We had a good experience at Southdown in Portsmouth.

20. jaykay

jaykay Read Only Funster

Not impressed with them, so not for me. I went there a while ago, and watched them doing a bodge paint job on an old motorhome to tart it up. I am from Hull as well and used to live near one of the owners.
    Thanks for the suggestion though.