Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
A Massive thank you to everyone who has given advice on my generator problems this weekLink Removed

I finally got the bl***y thing going this afternoon.

To cut a very long story short, I printed off everyones advice from here and RVOC and set off to the RV. I patiently went through all the points but still no luck (No voltage at the genny at all). Then went back and tried everything again but still nothing.

I then resorted to my plan "B", hitting the ground with a large stick for 5 minutes in the style of Basil Fawlty, while shouting all manner of profanitiesLink Removed

Incredibly, that didn't work either. So before leaving defeated, I went back to the house battery and removed the battery leads one last time to make sure the terminals were spotless. As I was using some wire wool on the positive terminal from the generator, it came away in my hand with a couple of inches of cable.

Not sure how the cable became broke but the outer sleeve must have been holding it in place and I disturbed it when I took off the old batteries.

Got under the RV and removed the whole cable (About 3m), took the lot to a local garage and they made a new one up for £20 and threw in cable ties.

It took me about 20 minutes to fit and the Generator started first timeLink Removed

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Excellent news... I am really pleased for you...

Not only do you now have a working generator but you also have all that accumulated knowledge that will serve you in good stead in the future...

Well done...

JJ :Cool:

ps... my Hymer loo is not holding water again (and thus not forming an air tight seal from the holding tank)...

Last time this happened I spent over a hundred pounds on a new part and stripped the loo out to fit it...

...this time I will fix the problem in ten minutes (max) with a bit of (especially made for the job by me) bent aluminium and the knowledge I gained from the first repair... :thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Well done persistence pays off.

The only other case I saw of this was on a company car, that kept cutting out it turned out to be a break in a lead, how the mech. found it he said he was getting annoyed and gave the lead a tug and about 8ins of conductor came out in his hand. On splitting the insulation it looked a fault in manufacture and 2 bits of wire had been joined in the sleeving. It had worked fine for 2 years

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
pleased it is sorted

Pleased to hear it is sorted out now.. good feeling when you resolve an issue.. Genny issues are often lead related.. earth or power in some form.. the fact it was running before the battery change it had to be that area.. so pleased it got resolved and you are up and running again.

Bob

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
result :thumb:

when i did breakdown recovery we found this a lot on engine braided earth straps which are usually tinned copper wire.....the earth strap looked absolutely fine, but a good tug would sometimes see it fall apart.

more pronounced on unsleeved straps but still happened on sleeved ones too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back