The first week of our aborted summer trip (Northern Spain) (1 Viewer)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
On Monday 27 July we left Totana for what was intended to be our summer tour away until October. Our first day we drove towards Teruel. From junction 100 of the A23 autovia we headed towards a small village, Formiche Alto from where we picked up the signs to a via ferrata. This particular ferrata has three sections, the first two suitable for novices and is a cross between an aided climb and a walk up the river bed. The final section starts after the last escape route and becomes more of a physical climb.

Of course we did all of it.

The night we arrived we wild camped just after the track to the river. The track is drivable but not in a motorhome, so we found a parking area and walked in.

IMG_20160627_174003975_HDR.jpg

Overnight wild camping spot

IMG_20160628_091244354.jpg

Starting the ferrata

IMG_20160628_093005357_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160628_094014205_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160628_095508156.jpg

IMG_20160628_101212607.jpg

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We had a full morning out, starting early and returning to the van before 1.00 pm so we decided to drive to Albarracin and stop for lunch.

Just before Albarracin we stopped next to the river in a shady parking area and had lunch and spent the afternoon there. I even went in the river which is a first for me! Martin wasn't quick enough to get a photo tho.

IMG_20160628_153713339.jpg

As the weather cooled we headed to Albarracin intending to stop at the motorhome parking there. We didn't see any signs and we didn't use the GPS so we carried on through. Now we were driving in torrential rain so we pulled up until it eased off.

IMG_20160628_171623832_HDR.jpg

As we've been to Albarracin before (cycling the Ruta del Cid two years ago) we decided to go to the village of Bronchales as we'd managed to find information about walks starting there.

Not finding a suitable area to stay before the village, we drove through and followed a information sign up a track to a sink hole viewing area. We parked up and strolled over to look at the "hole".

IMG_20160628_182403349.jpg

IMG_20160628_185555553.jpg

The hole was huge, not able to tell from the photo.

We returned to the van and settled down for the evening until the lightning began. We looked at each other and prepared the van to move. We were the highest thing up there!

We drove back into Bronchales and parked next to a play area and small chapel. It was raining so thought we'd be OK there. We went to bed at 10.30, the rain stopped at at 10.40 the kids came out to play with their Uncle. Luckily they were small kids and 20 minutes was sufficient! After they left we had a quiet night.

IMG_20160629_110553008.jpg

Parked in Bronchales

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Judith Lovely start to your holiday and spectacular scenery so sorry it was curtailed so suddenly .hope Martin is feeling a bit better at home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The next morning we woke to another sunny day, the storm having passed over. We set off along the track directly from the motorhome. We arrived at a junction with walking route boards. Two of the boards gave the same destination in opposite directions so we reckoned it would make a circular walk. We took the route to the left which was a broad track through farmland.

We stopped to view some birds of prey. If we see more than two together we assume they're Griffon Vultures. We saw three together and then two more later on. A little further along we came to more route posts and started to head back. The route now followed a path (GR red and white marks) through oak woodland, passing a Fuente before climbing a short hill in the open. Eventually we arrived back at the earlier junction and back to the van. This was approximately a 10km easy walk.

IMG_20160629_095557896.jpg

IMG_20160629_102138790.jpg

IMG_20160629_102103065.jpg

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We were still following our previous cycle route, albeit in reverse and we wanted to stop at the refuge we'd overnighted in. We drove through Orihuela del Tremedal and up the hill towards Idea. We pulled off the road at the refuge (good wild camping spot) and put the kettle on for coffee.

I went to look at the refuge. The old broken fence around the area has been replaced and new benches and tables added. From the deposited remains on the ground it appears that this can be used for people travelling on horses.

IMG_20160629_115725324_HDR.jpg

We continued on towards Medinaceli to stay on the Motorhome parking there. Heading down to the N211 the town of Molina de Aragon came into view.

IMG_20160629_131846418.jpg

The next photo was taken through the windscreen whilst at the fuel station!

IMG_20160629_132955735.jpg

We arrived at Medinaceli in time for lunch. We'd cycled through here also. We were the only motorhome in the huge mixed parking area until later in the afternoon when four enormous German Merc trucks arrived, followed a little later by a Belgian caravan!

IMG_20160629_152915571.jpg

IMG_20160629_181917991.jpg

IMG_20160629_182036151_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160629_183304579.jpg

Roman arch and mosaic.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Many thanks for posting this. Spain is a dangerous place - you mentioned driving through Teruel at the start and this morning I read in the news a matador was killed there yesterday. And someone else has been killed during a bull running at a village near Valencia. :(

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I've started so I'll finish!

We were meeting friends from the UK who had spent the night at the motorhome stop at Cabarceno. We had arranged to meet at the parking at the Cañon del Rio Lobos. After a quick stop for shopping we headed up the valley to the gorge. We stopped short to put on Co-Pilot. Now anyone using this, take care. It wanted us to go up the switchbacks, past the viewpoint and into the forest on the left of the road and above the gorge! Our friends later told us their GPS wanted them to do the same thing approaching from the north!

The parking is along the valley floor. If approaching from the south turn left immediately after crossing bridge. If from the north after the switchbacks turn right before the bridge. Simples!!! We stayed the night of July 30th and parking was free. However the park ranger told us payment would start the next day. This is still only €5 so won't break the bank!

Looking down to the gorge from the viewpoint. The parking is near the river not up in the "gods"!
IMG_20160630_112946944.jpg

IMG_20160701_084356853.jpg

Our friends arrived late afternoon and we went for a walk up to the Ermita and cave.

IMG_20160630_190922031_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160630_191108336_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160630_191524102_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160630_192512223_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160630_193139274_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160630_192958704_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Many thanks for posting this. Spain is a dangerous place - you mentioned driving through Teruel at the start and this morning I read in the news a matador was killed there yesterday. And someone else has been killed during a bull running at a village near Valencia. :(

Hopefully these tragic deaths may help the cause to ban bullfighting etc. None of our friends like it.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Nice photos and blog. Sorry your trip was cut short.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Nice photos and blog. Sorry your trip was cut short.
Yep, and the same sentiments from me too Judith.

All taken on mobile phone.
I am surprised, as many of the photos are amazing. (y)

Will you continue the blog, ie, up to the present? It might help others, who may find their best laid plans changing all of a sudden.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
As requested by @JockandRita I'll continue.

Friday morning we left the cañon and drive up the switchbacks to go to the village of San Leonardo de Yague to do a bit of orienteering training for the competition starting the next day. During the day we started to meet up with friends from many different countries who we hadn't seen for some time. We had especially looked forward to meeting our Welsh friends just back from a 10 month trip to the southern hemisphere. We all got parked up together for a good chat and they were preparing for the big match!!!

The orienteering went well on Saturday and we all decamped to the parking for the next area. The Welsh contingent were still buzzing from the result.

Sunday morning we had the second race. I finished my race and walked back to get my bag and Martin was sitting on the ground with blood all down his arms. I thought he'd had a problem with his calf muscle again and fallen but he told me he'd stepped off a cliff into thin air and dropped about five metres into a cave hitting a boulder on the way down.

The ambulance was at the event and Pablo, one of our friends, brought the first aiders over to Martin. He was taken into San Leonardo to the health centre for assessment. I arrived there with Maria (the "little star"!) and the decision was that Martin needed to go to Soria for x-rays. At this point we all thought it was just a technicality so Pablo and Maria took Martin in Pablo's car whilst I went to sort out the motorhome and inform our friends what had happened.

By early evening they hadn't returned. Eventually we got a phone call to say he was being kept in overnight and so arrangements were made to get me and the moho to Soria. Luckily Spanish vehicle insurance covers the vehicle not the driver so there was no problems there and Fermin, Maria's brother drove it for me. He's a doctor so wanted to have a word with the doctors at the hospital and see the x-rays for himself.

Anyway, to cut a long story short Martin ended up in hospital in Soria for two nights, before being transferred to a private hospital in Zaragoza for three nights. The motorhome was driven back to Totana by Salvador, Maria's husband and put into their garage. The insurance connected to our sport licence was used for the hospital stay. All the arrangements were made by Maria, who went out of her way to make sure we weren't bothered. She even washed Martin's black dusty feet on his admittance the first night! I said she was a star!

Friday afternoon Martin was released from Zaragoza and our vehicle insurance arranged for an ambulance to bring us back. The insurance was happy that we'd arranged to get the motorhome returned but they would have sent a driver for that also had it been necessary. The President of the Spanish Orienteering Federation rang our Regional President to say that anything the insurance doesn't cover they will pay for.

We are now back in Totana until Martin can travel again. He sustained four broken ribs, damage to a lung, luckily not punctured, various cuts and bruises. He says he knows he's lucky to be here.

The moral of this story is make sure you have sufficient insurance to cover all eventualities. We were lucky that we were still in Spain and even luckier that we were with many friends who took over and arranged everything. What we have learnt is that I need to know more about the working of the motorhome and I need to bite the bullet and drive it!!!

IMG_20160707_162742649.jpg

Martin in hospital in Zaragoza looking well because of the drugs!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Wow reading this made me realise how much worse it could have been for Martin and that although he is in pain he knows how lucky he was .
You are very lucky to have wonderful friends who could help.
Hope the recovery goes quickly and you can resume some of the trip if not this year but next year.
Good luck with the driving:Eeek:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That gets a thanks for both of you coping so well. 5m onto rocks.... the possible outcomes don't bear thinking about. We've certainly been a lot more cautious since Mary fell last year and ended up in plaster.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Must have been very worrying for you.
Glad Martin is on the mend and hope he recovers fully very soon.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Wow Judith.....hadn't realised the extent of it all....I suppose you just have to deal with it at the time & it's probably just sinking in now:Eeek:.

A positive thing though is that with Martin being so fit I imagine recovery time will be super speedy:)....can't imagine he likes sitting still for long going on your posts about your normal daily activities:D

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Gosh Martin was realy lucky. Hope he's back to full health soon. You realy "don't know what's round the corner " do you ?
Thanks for posting the lovely pictures.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We have a ferry booked to the UK on 15 August. If we make it we do, if not it's only money. We've lost the money for the next event, it started yesterday, but the others we've been able to cancel and also our climbing trip in Poland. We may lose the deposit but last time we had to cancel with the same company they let us transfer to another trip. We'll hear from them tomorrow, probably.

Fermin, the doctor friend, has just been to visit. He's suggested a better schedule for the medication. We can even double up the tablets if required but Martin would prefer not to unless necessary.

Martin is happy to sit still at the moment but I dread the day when his pain lessens and I have to insist he takes it easy!!!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
As requested by @JockandRita I'll continue.
Thanks for sharing the unfortunate experiences of your orienteering holiday Judith.
As it has shown, folks are now able to appreciate the true depth of what happened, and what might have been. :eek:

It also serves to support the need for adequate insurance arrangements.

I am very pleased for both you and Martin, now that it is all over, except for Martin's speedy and full recovery. Fingers crossed for that. (y)

Reading your blog also helps to restore faith in "human nature". :)

Thanks again,

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thanks for sharing the unfortunate experiences of your orienteering holiday Judith.
As it has shown, folks are now able to appreciate the true depth of what happened, and what might have been. :eek:

It also serves to support the need for adequate insurance arrangements.

I am very pleased for both you and Martin, now that it is all over, except for Martin's speedy and full recovery. Fingers crossed for that. (y)

Reading your blog also helps to restore faith in "human nature". :)

Thanks again,

Thanks.

I sometimes get angry when people say nasty things about the Spanish. Like everywhere there are good and bad people. Our friends are firmly in the good camp.

BJKD

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia A class 840 BD
Exp
Since 1996
Hi.Just seen your post Judith.A great start to your trip with a very good blog.
Very sorry to hear about Martin,s bad luck and wish him a speedy recovery ,and glad that he,s back home and that you had good friends who helped you when in need.
Take care both and looking forward to seeing you in the Winter.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi.Just seen your post Judith.A great start to your trip with a very good blog.
Very sorry to hear about Martin,s bad luck and wish him a speedy recovery ,and glad that he,s back home and that you had good friends who helped you when in need.
Take care both and looking forward to seeing you in the Winter.

Hi to you both. A little bird told me you now have your new motorhome. Look forward to seeing it, and you and Sandra, in the winter.

Martin should be up for some biking by then!

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just a brief update. 12 days after the accident Martin is managing to sleep through the night with the help of a painkiller. He's moving about better now and has started to do a few things around the house. If he continues to improve this quickly our 15 August ferry looks possible.

Thanks for all the good wishes we've received and hope to see some of you soon, if not in the winter.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sorry to hear about Martin's unfortunate accident & glad to hear that he is on the road to recovery. Very lucky & could have been far worse. All the best to you both & hope you make the ferry.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Just a brief update. 12 days after the accident Martin is managing to sleep through the night with the help of a painkiller. He's moving about better now and has started to do a few things around the house. If he continues to improve this quickly our 15 August ferry looks possible.

Thanks for all the good wishes we've received and hope to see some of you soon, if not in the winter.
Judith that's great news! Hope the recovery continues as quickly! Look after yourself and Martin! And hope you have rain!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back