Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Moving From Beginner To Advice Seeker

Well having collected, driven, parked and had a lengthy exploration of the van, the first of many questions I think!

Under the passenger front seats I found this guage;

air10.jpg

Instincts told me that is was to do with some sort of air suspension unit.

My buddy was soon diving under the rear of the van to confirm that there were air suspension units in place.

A lot of wading through the masses of manuals and guides that I now own gave some information via pictures but as it was in German I was lost to go any further.

What is obvious is that the left unit is low on pressure.

So:

Is this unit user serviceable or is a garage visit required?

If user serviceable, how?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Not the clearest of pictures but I suspect there is a cap on the centre of the 3 metal items.
Removing the cap will probably reveal a car tyre valve type inflation point.
The other 2 I would think are valves to direct the air to left or right airbag, in which case if both valves are opened the pressures should equalise.
IMPORTANT, Always ensure these valves are closed properly before driving the vehicle.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Er, user fillable maybe - but surely - like tyres - won't you need a compressor ?

I'm only asking cos I'm interested, I do like to know the basics even if I can't get my head round the technicalities. Is it a job for the driver with the airline on a garage forecourt - or is it a job for eg ATS - bung this on the 4 poster, mate, and stick some air in me suspension please!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Er, user fillable maybe - but surely - like tyres - won't you need a compressor ?

I'm only asking cos I'm interested, I do like to know the basics even if I can't get my head round the technicalities. Is it a job for the driver with the airline on a garage forecourt - or is it a job for eg ATS - bung this on the 4 poster, mate, and stick some air in me suspension please!

The volume of air required is small so a small 12v compressor(as per the fix & go kit) or even a foot or bike type pump will do it.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we had similar on our MH, the centre silver thing is probably a release valve to let air out, the other 2 should be tyre type valves where you can add air to either or both sides, using compressor, foot pump or take to a garage, but you will be surprised how little air it will take to change, the air bags are not very big

I would worry too much about the difference between the 2, the gauges will be indicative mainly and could possibly have been filled differently to suit the weight distribution

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Old Man
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
This morning I loaded the van with my basic needs for a couple of days away.

Drove to a petrol station to fuel it, £80 in diesel!!!!! I hope that's an annual thing:cool:

Tomorrow I set off for a 'sit in the van and find out how it works!':D

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Enjoy your first trip and it will all get easier!(y)
This morning I loaded the van with my basic needs for a couple of days away.

Drove to a petrol station to fuel it, £80 in diesel!!!!! I hope that's an annual thing:cool:

Tomorrow I set off for a 'sit in the van and find out how it works!':D

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Looks like the middle fitting is a schrader tyre valve for charging both air bags and the two other fittings are bleed valves. I guess you should fit an air supply to the middle valve and pump it up to a pressure reading slightly above the bag setting you require, then drop each individual side back down to your required setting by opening each bleed valve separately to release air, watching the relative gauge, till it shows the desired pressure.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Looks like the middle fitting is a schrader tyre valve for charging both air bags and the two other fittings are bleed valves. I guess you should fit an air supply to the middle valve and pump it up to a pressure reading slightly above the bag setting you require, then drop each individual side back down to your required setting by opening each bleed valve separately to release air, watching the relative gauge, till it shows the desired pressure.
That makes more semse to me.
Many folks wont know you can push in the centre 'pin' on a schrader valve to release pressure so having seperate pressure release valves and a central inflation schrader valve make a lot of sense.
So easy to over-inflate an airbag.

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
You've raised a valid point there @pappajohn, looking at it again, it's more probable that the two valves are to separate the single fill point (schrader tyre valve) from each side of the circuit. In which case, to top up the lower pressure on the left hand side, connect your air supply to the centre fill then crack open the left hand valve and the pressure rise will show on the gauge. If you overfill it or ever need to reduce the pressure, do as PPJ suggests and release air by pressing the centre probe in the fill valve to expel air from that side of the circuit. Make sure the two valves are closed off once you've set the pressures you want.
Sorry for any confusion I may have caused with my first post :oops:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The pressures do vary if you park on a camber. Get it dead flat to set the pressures. I use a portable 12V compressor which we carry for the tyres.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Old Man
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years

After a trip to the dealer this morning I can confirm that you are correct in every detail.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Old Man
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Back hope after my day and night away. Called back for a small family emergency but I had achieved my goals.

Thanks for the help and advice from all at Cornish Farm and VanBitz. I had to leave early this morning before I could pester them with my overnight thoughts.

So I called by at South Hereford Motor Caravans on the way home.

One blind that failed this morning was fixed straight away.

Questions about the heating and hot water that I couldn't get working were also answered and my mistakes outlined and the correct methods demonstrated.

The sticky garage and locker door locks were inspected and lubricated with 'spray grease' and although this helped the Sales Manager decided that they would order and replace four of the lock barrels as there was some evidence of wear.

So all round a successful couple of days, if my van trips continue with this level of help and service I will be very happy.

Next the scarey bit, totting up how much I spent and the MPG for the trips.:drinks:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back