The Engine Coolant Circulates the Habitation Area? Did I Hear Right? (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
When I first went to see our Burstner Argos 748, I'm sure I heard the previous owner say that the engine coolant can be routed around the habitation area and therefore provide heating. I could be mistaken as there was just so much to take in!

Does anyone know if this is true on the Burstner and if so, where are the valves to route around the habitation area?

Thanks

John

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
If you have Alde heating with radiators it has a seperate pump & tank but it does use engine coolant which of course is anti freeze in the winter, it would not run off the engine cooling system, the seperate Alde tank/pump is usually in the wardrobe.

Dave

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It is possible. I used to own an Elddis that as well as the normal gas habitation heating had a separate system plumbed into the engine cooling system that blew heating into the habitation area. The heater controls were under the passenger seat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Thanks guys,

Yes, we do have an Alde heating system and I've 'discovered' the pump and control panel - it works ::bigsmile:. I did top it up with a 60/40 mix of water & antifreeze.

I was 'reasonably' sure I heard the previous owner say that it was possible tor route the engine coolant around the habitation area as an additional source of heating - it just seemed a good idea. I'll drop him an email after looking under the seats.

Thanks

John

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Our first MH was a Burstner Marano and that did have a heater fitted in the habitation area that ran from engine coolant. I recall that the rubber pipes were insulated with a foil type material. I do not know exactly where they were tapped into the cooling system, but I can confirm that it was really quite efficient in warming that area in motion. Obviously there was electrical power to the heater to run the fan.
Steve

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We also have the Alde "wet" heating system and although we do not have one fitted, there is available a "heat exchanger" by Alde.

This I believe would be fitted in your engine compartment and the habitation heating fluid diverted through this heat exchanger. The Alde fluid would not actually mix with the engine coolant but just take it's heat from the engine.

Details here......
...... http://www.alde.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=58

Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back