Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
there seems to be a trend of downsiding from a rv to hymmers ect ect are the rv's on the way out?:secret:

Me just sold my RV and bought an A Class motorhome.................::bigsmile:

RV's still selling though................:Smile:

Snowbird is heading this way to I believe..........:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ask any Rver and they say no, ask a European owner and they say yes..

Ask me and I say I couldn't afford to run one now, and with the price of fuel only going one way only the rich will be able to tour extensively with them ..

If you only go to shows and chew the fat with your mates under the awning .. great.. but you may as well check into a Holiday Inn .. would be cheaper :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I don't think its the end for the RV. Its horses for courses, when I was driving down to Spain and North Africa and sitting in one place for 6 months at a time the RV was perfect for that job. You wont beat an RV for living in one place for long periods of time but for touring they can be a little restrictive. Having said all that have been in some very tight corners with mine.
Also both RVs that I have owned had the Cummins B series diesel that ran biofuel and I had long range tanks fitted so as to optimise this. My Tiffin had a range of 1800 miles before I needed fuel so I could take advantage of cheap fuel.
I think its only the petrol engined RVs that are taking a hit at the moment but this has always been the case. Have never lost money on a motorhome yet and have had enough,so must be doing something right.
If you buy the right model and look after it you wont lose money, its just knowing the right model.

OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
Dave are you telling me you sell for what you paid ..... find that hard to believe,what deprecation per year would you think is fear?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I ran my Rockwood for 5 years and sold it for 3k more than I paid for it. OK I spent 2k on it over the 5 years and that didn't include servicing which I did myself.
I bought a VW T4 in Spain and toured Scandinavia with it,spent about £300 on it and sold it for 4k more than I paid for it.
Bought a tag axle Elddis in Spain spent about 2k on it made 4k on that.
Bought a VW LT in Holland just sold it for 4k more.
The Tiffin has just had an offer of 1k more than I gave if it doesn't sell on ebay. Have had that 5 years. OK have spent on the Tiffin over the years but have had plenty of use out of it.
The Tabbert I have now was on ebay here in the UK but was in Spain, I bought it unseen and flew out to Spain and drove it back. OK it was a risk that most people wouldnt take but it was half price,so if I keep it a few years it will still be worth what I paid for it and with luck a bit more.
You don't have to be a dealer to make money out of motorhomes...you just have to buy the right model at the right money in the first place.
I brought loads of em in from Germany when the £ was good and just had em MOTd and registered in the UK then turned em over for 2 or 3 k profit.
Mainly sticking to the old S class Hymers...trouble is there's more here in the UK now than Germany. That's a pity as not only was it a good earner it was a bit of fun and I got paid for traveling around Europe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We downsized from an A class RV to a B class RV to make it possible to go most places.
Would we trade for smaller? definately NO, we love the space and comfort and on LPG running costs for us are quite affordable. If we need to explore we take toad on A frame or trailer or leccy bikes :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back