The End Of Wild Camping On The Coast?

Discussion in 'Morocco' started by Bohemiabones, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Bohemiabones

Bohemiabones Read Only Funster

Did anyone wild camping on the coast between jan to may 2015 experience frequently being moved on by the police? From arriving in dec until departing in April we were regularly hassled by the police to move on - all along the coast from Asilah to Taghazoute and even a bit inland. During our previous winter trips over the past four years we had virtually no problems wild camping. This year often the police were very unpleasant and insisted we moved immediately. I am just wondering if we were just very unlucky, if not, did the situation change after april or should we give morocco a miss this winter!

2. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

Wild camped a lot in the interior last year. Spent some time at the coast as I travelled north. I heard tales of the army moving on MHs when they reached a critical mass. Generally those in groups less than a dozen seemed ok
    Dick

3. Dazzlin

Dazzlin Funster Life Member

V unlucky.
    Did a lot of the country dec 2014 to mar 2015 and no probs.
    From Asilah to midelt to Merzouga to Taghazout and up the coast back to Tangier.
    Only fun bit was being evicted from Taghazout.
    Back in 2016 and looking forward to it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bohemiabones

Well, this year critical mass seemed to be one - our sole vehicle even parked up in discreet places! We stopped for lunch at near a lighthouse and the police appeared withing 15 mins and told us to move on - my wife who speaks excellent french told them we would move after lunch and would not overnight, they came back twice in the next 40 mins telling us to move! A couple of other long time over-winterers who we met up with told us they were expereincing the same this year - then the three of us had a visit by two cars of police while parked up 20km inland of the coast! ​

5. Bohemiabones

Thanks Dazzlin - I am hoping for more reports like yours and if we were exceptionally unlucky this year then our next winter excape is solved! Agreed, that was fun in taghazout - a few days camped right on the beach, went away for a week and when we returned the hundreds of MHs had been moved off by the police - and they pounced on us within a few hous.

6. Drexxer

Drexxer Funster

I think it's time to spend your hard earned money elsewhere in a more accommodating country,

and by the way welcome to the forum(y)

Andy

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bohemiabones

Thanks Andy - only trouble is there is not one that has the great weather of morocco that is within a reasonable driving distance to get away from our winter.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I think your problem may be associated by the fact that your at some point crossing the English Channel. I find that probably the best way to stop being moved on by foreign officials, is by staying in England, where their jurisdiction is slightly more limited. :)(y)

• Like Like x 1