The Duke of York, near Buxton (1 Viewer)

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
The good lady and I decided to have a long weekend away last weekend, I left it to her to have a look online and book a site for a couple of nights, the site she chose was the Duke of York on the A515 Pomberoy, Buxton. The pub has recentley changed hands and the new owners are upgrading the facilities. The site has around ten pitches with new EHU's plus another large field thats not yet got power, the pitches are on grass at the moment, there is a small toilet block with one ladies , one gents and a coin operated shower, the toilet block is a bit tired but its clean and has hand driers etc. The views from this site are fantastic, a real "top of the world" view. The site is close to a lot of walks and tourist attractions as well as cycling tracks.
The landlord and his good lady who own their own motorhome were very welcoming and great hosts, the pub is very welcoming with a real fire in one of the bars. The food in the pub was very nice and good quality , I can recommend the steak and stilton pie, and the wife loved the gammon, simple fare but very nice indeed.
Dogs are welcome in the top bar where the fire is and you can have your meal served there as well
If you want swimming pools and funfairs then this site isnt for you, If you like good food a bit of peace and quiet and a good base for sight seeing then its well worth a look.

Regards, John
Derek and Cathryn
The Duke of York
Ashbourne road (A515)
Pomeroy (Nr Flag)
Buxton
Derbyshire
SK17 9QG
01298 883345

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Thanks for that John, another one for the memory banks - especially as they are "Dog Friendly" :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
John H

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
But just down the road in Buxton is a lovely park with rides and a big pool. Top area to visit.

True, I was only comenting on the site itself though:Doh:, Buxton itself has a wealth of entertainment. I have friends (caravaners) who have young children and they want a site that has an indoor pool and entertainment etc.

John

OP
OP
John H

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
Thanks for that John, another one for the memory banks - especially as they are "Dog Friendly" :Smile:

Dog friendly is always a big thing for us, we did note that most of the pubs and cafes were happy to allow dogs in.

John

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Same for us. I love Buxton and stayed at Grin Low last Autumn. What a lovely place and great for Pool Cavern and that big hill that took you up to the Kiln. Can't remember the names. I'm senior and don't have the books to hand but it was a lovely place and great for dog walks.

ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
John H

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
Same for us. I love Buxton and stayed at Grin Low last Autumn. What a lovely place and great for Pool Cavern and that big hill that took you up to the Kiln. Can't remember the names. I'm senior and don't have the books to hand but it was a lovely place and great for dog walks.

ivy

We walked up the hill to the lime kiln and Solomons Temple, lovely walk and fantastic views, they wouldnt let dogs in the cavern though so we gave it a miss.

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back