Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
After years of complaints and investigations, this cruel organisation still promotes breed standards that cause pain and suffering. Not only is this GSD deformed it also shows bad character for the breed, yet it wins best of breed, :doh: which will ensure someone gets extremely rich while all that is bad in this animal will be passed on to literally thousands of offspring.
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I saw the dog for a few seconds as the judge was picking out dogs from the group. I said then that it's back looked wrong. I have had 2 GSD's and neither of them stood like that, and one of them was the descendant of a Crufts Best in Breed in the '70,s.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Jim

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Wasn't the over emphasising/breeding of certain breed characteristics why Crufts and the KC were subject to a backlash a few years ago? Did that not result in the withdrawal of sponsorship and TV coverage contracts due to those concerns? Does this organisation, which claims to operate in the interests of dogs, never learn?

As a household with 3 dogs, I dont watch Crufts, but those GSD pictures have now rubbed me up completely the wrong way. The KC organisation and the breeders should be ashamed of their exploits in both inducing and supporting what is effectively man made deformity.

Have English Bulldog heads reduced enough in size to allow natural birth yet? Various other breeds with breeding induced breathing problems. As you may of guessed, this annoys me somewhat.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i agree.
this is what a working GSD looked like in the 50's.nothing like the show dog of today,that clearly would never be able to do the job they were intended for.
upload_2016-3-15_7-13-42.jpeg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I know nothing specific about dogs or breeds, but I am a dog lover, and that German Sheperd didn't look happy, and it's rear hind quarters didn't look natural at all. :( Not a nice site.

Regards,

Jock.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
In case anyone hasn't seen the footage of this poor dog, have a look at the video clip.

Jock.

marcus153

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630 Mercedes
Exp
Its difficult viewing and about time crufts stops this freak show.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
GSD's suffer with their back legs anyway later in life and I suspect the Crufts winner will suffer a lot earlier (if he/she is not suffering already):(

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That GSD looked terrible.

And what about the gundog winner - a Gordon setter which just happened to be owned by the judge's sister??

Reactions: DBK

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I don't know a great deal about GSD but that is just wrong in every way.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If you read the whole article, all parties agree there is an ongoing problem and it's not being swept under the carpet.

I still think Crufts should be scrapped.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you read the whole article, all parties agree there is an ongoing problem

They know there is a problem because they have been told about it for 30 years that I know of. That they still ignore it and have not changed the breed standards is the real issue.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Police and security forces are finding it harder to source GSDs that are clear of these inbred traits, some are now using other breeds such as Belgian Malinois. The kennel Club have a lot to answer for their so called breed standards.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There are so many Scatty, nervous and crippled German Shepherds around. That poor dog exhibited everything wrong with the breed today.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Our GSD was a rescue dog we got as a pup, first thing we did when he was hip scored and found to have hip dysplasia, was to have him neutered so no chance of passing on the faulty gene. Thankfully with hydrotherapy etc he is still managing to get about at 13 yr old
DSC_0085.JPG

Deleted User
I find it obscene that some will pay vast amounts of money for so called 'pedigree' animals, as far as I am concerned a dog is a dog not a toy or an ornament.

Buying such animals propagates the system that leads to deformities such as this.The only exception to this in my opinion are working dogs.

Every dog we have ever owned has been a mongrel and mostly rescue dogs, of which there are plenty.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
These practices will continue for as long as people continue to go out of their way to buy these poor animals at extortionate prices.... deliberate mixing one breed with another seems more prevalent than ever just to accommodate a human's desire. (obviously not meaning accidental or Heinz 57s)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
This made me feel sick and quite desperate on behalf of that poor dog.
The video discussion talked about removing the breed from competition.
The judge should be removed.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We watched it and were shocked the dog looked crippled, not that I claim to know anything about dogs and personally cannot stand GSD's Border Collie for me everytime.
We were in Nuremburg last year at a campsite next to the exhibition centre and there was a huge GSD show / competition taking place. The campsite was packed with competitors from the show all with their GSDs and sadly most of them looked exactly like the one at Crufts.
Not a pretty sight.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Some years ago a friend of mine was breeding dalmatians, the kennel club insisted that any pup that didn't make the grade was put down before a pedigree certificate was issued. :(

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
In case anyone hasn't seen the footage of this poor dog, have a look at the video clip.

Jock.

Jock - I looked at that clip not having watched the programme and I honestly thought it was a scam video - the dog looked as if he had been dragged in off the street, and didn't have a clue as to what was going on! His back looks as if it's been broken. What a terrible competition - and as for the gun dog winner being owned by the judges sister......... the whole thing stinks!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Some years ago a friend of mine was breeding dalmatians, the kennel club insisted that any pup that didn't make the grade was put down before a pedigree certificate was issued. :(
Unfortunately that's a common thing I think. I worked with Hearing Dogs for Deaf People years ago and the same thing was done when they started to breed Cockerpoos, Springerpoos, etc etc for deaf people who were asthmatic. They had to put a lot of puppies down before they bred the pups that didn't shed hair. :(

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
These practices will continue for as long as people continue to go out of their way to buy these poor animals at extortionate prices.... deliberate mixing one breed with another seems more prevalent than ever just to accommodate a human's desire. (obviously not meaning accidental or Heinz 57s)
Mixing breeds produces mongrels which traditionally are healthier although fashion does play a part, Labradoodles spring to mind but they aren't a bad dog and they aren't supposed to drop hairs!

But our Charlie is a Border Terrier Jack Russell cross and looks more like an original Border Terrier than the modern versions which seem to have been selected for having the shortest possible nose.

A old Border Terrier.

tinker.jpg

The afore-mention mongrel, hiding behind a memorial - fortunately there was no sign off Top Gear.

DSC_0036.JPG

A "modern" Border Terrier.

a42876935732355e2cd3d687361c4bf6.jpg

Where does the sawn-off nose come from?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back