The Disabled Motorist (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

melplash

Deleted User
So does that imply that to be logical you lack common sense, if not in all aspects of life certainly in answering this question

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Therefore I think the moral of the story is that unless the disabled person uses a wheel chair it is fraudulent to claim vat exemption and the vat man could at a later date chase you for the vat and interest on top of that.:Sad:
The dealer mentioned was seriously pushing me to buy but it did not quite feel right :Confused:so I purchased a used model elsewhere!:winky:

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Graham

The VAT and the interest would be the least of your worries if caught commiting VAT fraud.....

Geo

So logicaly you would have to say that I demonstrated common sense in not answering a loaded question?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Graham

The VAT and the interest would be the least of your worries if caught commiting VAT fraud.....

Geo

So logicaly you would have to say that I demonstrated common sense in not answering a loaded question?

Just as well that I played it safe and did not buy from them!
Thanks for confirmation:thumb:

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi JSW

Unfortunately (or fortunately given some replies :roflmto:), I have little info on the Disabled exemptions.

(non) Residence exemptions and Im fine.

My VIEW on disabled VAT free imports is that they should pay the same as eveyone else, but perhaps get a grant (equal to VAT) for converting the import for full disabled use.

That should stop a few of the fraudulent claims.

Paul

voxol51

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Shakespeare county
Funster No
MH
low profile/garage
Exp
5 years after 27 of tugging
If I may add to this
WHY do the disabled get VAT relief on Motorhomes?
this is not intended as a poke at the disabled, I firmly belive they should get ans deserve all the help they can get for every day living, but it puzzels me why a Motorhome falls into this catagory, it appears it is a loophole designed for the get rich quick brigade, and in my opinion it wants either closing or regulating,
If it is claimed that a MH is reqd for an every day vehicle and vat relief will be forth coming then say one purhase every 3 years or so would seem a reasonable scheme
Shoot me down whu dont Ya
Geo

Our motorhome was VAT free under the scheme due to my wifes disability. We don't claim our motorhome is reqired for everyday use - it is in everyday use as it is our only vehicle.
No way could we afford to run a car and a motorhome, and it will probably be to old to sell by the time we can afford another one!!

But I do agree many abuse the system, if the vehicle (whatever type it is) is purchased VAT free it should be 'flagged' by DVLA and if sold before a reasonable time is up, the owner/seller should be made to pay the full (new price) vat.
Occassionaly with changing circumstances, a vat free vehicle might have to be sold early, but if a pattern of buying/selling emerges the vat free entitlement should be removed from that person.

Voxy.

voxol51

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Shakespeare county
Funster No
MH
low profile/garage
Exp
5 years after 27 of tugging
A point missed by George regarding vat relief and relatives is that, like a motorbility car, the vehicle being purchased vat free must be for the use of a disabled person.
Claiming your great great grandad in the north of Scotland is the disabled person, whilst you live on the south coast and the old chap never goes in the vehicle is again fraudulent.
A vat free vhicle also qualifies for a free tax disc each year, registered as a disabled vehicle.
If you are happily driving around with no disabled person onboard you are again commiting fraud. The exemption to this is if you are using the vehicle for the benefit of the disabled person, eg, to get shopping for them etc.

The rules are in place to prevent abuse of the system, but nobody seems responsible for policing, and making sure the rules are not broken.

Voxy.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi George I am trying to get my head around your method of answering others posts,
you appear to like straight forward questions and i suspect that logic plays a big part in your thinking, to help me make a judgement
here is a question for you
you are offered for sale either of two identical pocket waches,, they are both the same price and you must buy one of them
one does not work at all, and the other gains 5 min's a day
which one are you going to buy and why
Geo

:thumb:Geo can I have two of to broken ones please, I like mending things. And my mums mums aunties nephews brothers son is in a wheelchair so pleaes knock the VAT off:ROFLMAO:

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
The one case I know of first hand, it would have been a very good month if the disabled person saw the car once, to actually go out in it would have been a rare treat, I know because a friend of mine did all the actuall driving about for the disabled person....

The part that Always surprises me is that claiments of the VAT free bit rarely seem to actually qualify (ie that the disabled person is actually wheelchair or stretcher bound) because the Customs and Excise are usually spot on at catching fraudsters.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
VAT free purchases related to people getting the highest Rate Mobility allowance.

This is an allowance made to people who find mobility extremely difficult.

There are always cheats and dealer that will help them but most people are not cheats and suffer severe pain.

People don't get the highest rate mobility allowance just by asking for it, your ailments are well researched in most cases.

There are cheats out there though and most are NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi John

Higher rate mobility allowance is not relevant, as far as VAT is concerned the criteria are

"The vehicle seating no more than 12 people must be supplied to a disabled person who normally uses a wheelchair or stretcher to be mobile"

also

"The vehicle must be adapted to enable the disabled wheelchair (or stretcher) user to enter, drive or otherwise travel in the vehicle"

also

"The adapted vehicle must be for the domestic or personal use of the disabled wheelchair or stretcher user"

also

"You hold documents to show eligibility"

A motor vehicle is adapted for the carriage of a disabled wheelchair user if it is:

adapted to suit his specific needs; and
the adaptation:

allows him to enter and travel in the vehicle whilst seated in the wheelchair or on the stretcher;
allows him to enter, travel in or leave the vehicle;
enables him to drive the vehicle; or
allows a wheelchair to be carried on or in the vehicle."

There is a big website concerned with how to milk this system and how to fake the right symptoms and answer the questions "correctly" (which the authorities are aware of, and from reading it you can see that there are many many undeserving cases out there getting this, not just the odd one or two)

peterandbetty

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
North Staffs
Funster No
Exp
VAT free purchases related to people getting the highest Rate Mobility allowance.

This is an allowance made to people who find mobility extremely difficult.

There are always cheats and dealer that will help them but most people are not cheats and suffer severe pain.

People don't get the highest rate mobility allowance just by asking for it, your ailments are well researched in most cases.

There are cheats out there though and most are NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you .Anyone can have my pain and i would willingly pay the vat to be pain free.Betty

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
OK most permanent stretcher cases claim Higher Rate Disability unless they are a billionaires and generally helps cut the red tape. If you don't receive it you should in my opinion be investigated.

Majority of HR Mobility sufferers lives are hell and a VAT free vehicle is little compensation to the life of hell they live and the vehicle is suppose to give them some sort of life outside the home.

Cheats should be procecuted for making others lives more difficult.

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Betty

Not in anyway to trivialise your suffering, but with regard to pain even if its constant and exscruciating it would not qualify for VAT free status, only if the above conditions are met.

George

peterandbetty

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
North Staffs
Funster No
Exp
Hi Betty

Not in anyway to trivialise your suffering, but with regard to pain even if its constant and exscruciating it would not qualify for VAT free status, only if the above conditions are met.

George

Hi George .i do meet the crieteria and i use a scooter rather than a wheelchair as its easier for me and i was told by the vat office that that was ok .Betty

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
i look perfectly fit but have a blue badge.

I have neuropathy in both legs (no feelings nerves gone and if i do damage my feet take forever or may not repair at all so i have to be extremely careful with my legs and feet) and ache like hell if I stand up to long and ache like hell at night (diabetes related)

I also a have a knackered left knee osteo-arthritis but don't want a plastic knee yet so suffer with it as this would be the next stage.

I since Xmas when I had pneumonia and plural effusion have permenant lung damage at present i only have my lungs working at 60% and suffer pain if breathing heavily (being diabetic it hit me far harder and in fact nearly died on the night of the 13th December 06)

But again look perfectly fit.

Life a funny old thing but still care for my father 24/7 unaided who is very frail and sufferers from Alzheimer's.

Judging others problems can always be a tricky area:winky:

BTW:- I got the VAT back on a special electric bed that raise my leg at night:winky: sadly no car though:cry:

Last edited:
G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi George .i do meet the crieteria and i use a scooter rather than a wheelchair as its easier for me and i was told by the vat office that that was ok .Betty

Hi Betty

That was a rare mistake by the VAT office then, have you actually got it in writing? or do you have the advice reference number?

the VAT regulations state clearly and I quote from VAT Notice 701/59 (March 2002)

"A mobility scooter is not a wheelchair for VAT purposes."

I have also just rung Customs & Excise 0845 302 0203 (press 3) and they confirm that this is still the case.

peterandbetty

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
North Staffs
Funster No
Exp
As a matter of fact yes George i do.I had to get a letter from my consultant to state that because of my illness i was not aload to use a wheelchair and the only way for me to get about was to use a scooter.Betty

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
As a matter of fact yes George i do.I had to get a letter from my consultant to state that because of my illness i was not aload to use a wheelchair and the only way for me to get about was to use a scooter.Betty

Yes but have you got a letter from the VAT office or a VAT query reference number?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Blimey George you do like to argue:winky:

Are you disabled?

I find it very rude you lecturing disabled people now.

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Not lecturing anyone, I am an accountant, so I am interested in the VAT question...

Betty would need more than an OK by phone for this and for her own benefit needs a record of the all clear from the VAT office.

It would also be handy for others, if there is a reference number I can publish the details of the dispensation here which would help others, if its an error Betty and everyone else needs to know....

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
A mere accountant?

What are you not an expert in?

Your talents seem to be wasted with just numbers:winky:

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
I am not a number, I am a free man.........

The further you take my rights away

The faster I will run

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp