The 'Cummins' and goings.. or not as the case may be! (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
While touring Spain we pulled into a service station to satisfy George's serious addiction for the oily stuff .. After breaking the bank, we pulled into the lorry park to enjoy some lunch. It was tipping it down, a real belter of a storm, but inside George, we were warm and dry..

Now George is pushed along quite impressively by a 5.9lt 6 cylinder Cummins engine, world renowned for their dependability and longevity, not impressively powerful but a stalwart, starts first time, every time, up hill down hill never missing a beat... well up to now anyway...

Turning the key he usually starts on the first stroke of one of his mighty cylinders, a puff of black smoke engulfing the unfortunate who are parked beside us before he settles down to a steady throb.. but on this occasion .. George refused to start, his pistons going up and down for all they were worth but no black smoke .. not a puff .. :cry: he had died..

Crawling around underneath his belly ( bear in mind it's belting down) I discovered his fuel supply solenoid valve had fallen off, the solenoid core was lying on the ground.. no solenoid.. no start..

Dismayed to find this but glad I had found the problem I set about trying to repair it, I was hopeful it was only a clip or spring that had come adrift but no such luck, on inspection I could clearly see wear on the core where the connecting shaft should connect..

Cutting a very long story short and trying several 'fixes' ( gaffer tape etc. ) I managed to drill a hole through the solenoid core and pin the shaft .. with a battery drill this took nearly an hour.. but finally I climbed aboard and turned the key..

He powered into life, a great cloud of black smoke engulfing the lorry park, we all cheered .. nothing feels as good as the throb of a mighty diesel..

Setting off we continued our tour south to Portugal, then back to France before finally coming home in Oct .. the pin held...

This week I ordered a new solenoid and fitted .. ÂŁ289 .. ouch..

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim thats the only snag with a cummins/cat, parts are flipping dear, now if you had an old perkins pushing you along that part would have been under a fiver. :ROFLMAO:

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back