The "correct" way to start a diesel engine. (1 Viewer)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I never knew about cooling an engine down after a long run until I just read this thread.

I will bear it in mind from now on

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I doubt many motorhome drivers rev their engines so hard to create maximum boost of the turbo for any length of time, that's when the the manifold that the turbo is connected to can reach 900 celsius.

Driven normally there's no need to spool down a turbo, but if you've just driven 5 miles up a mountain or just taken part in a drag race it would be sensible to let the engine idle for a minute or so rather then switch it of immediately you stop.

On a long motorway drive the turbo is nowhere near full boost, even so by the time you see the exit, slow for the slip road and poodle about to find a suitable parking spot the cooling is done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 6, 2017
Andalucia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544 Camp
Exp
Since 2017
One thing I've noticed when kipping in laybys is that all HGV drivers will idle their engines for at least three minutes before they start off. Pretty sure they do similar when stopping too, haven't noticed as much because it's not 6am like when they're starting up!

However .. van drivers do not do this. Hop straight in the cab, turn the key and brum brum they're off, still stuffing a sandwich in their face with their free hand.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
One thing I've noticed when kipping in laybys is that all HGV drivers will idle their engines for at least three minutes before they start off. Pretty sure they do similar when stopping too, haven't noticed as much because it's not 6am like when they're starting up!

However .. van drivers do not do this. Hop straight in the cab, turn the key and brum brum they're off, still stuffing a sandwich in their face with their free hand.
The main reason for HGV drivers idling their engines for a few minutes before driving off, it to build up the air pressure in the braking and suspension systems. When the pressure drops, ie, overnight, the brake spring actuators come into play, by applying the brakes in a fail safe position. It is the build up of air pressure which releases the actuators. An action not required on vans, due to a totally different braking system.

HTH. (y)

Jock. :)

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Clutch pedal down ignition on until glow light goes out turn key let engine idle to get oil circulating , drive on to turn off let engine idle for a few minutes to let the turbo get back to normal then switch off engine , hook up kettle on job done

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
True - but it doesn't require electrical assistance, or a switch, to do so.

Mine (1991) I could bump start with a flat battery, 1 & 2 cylinder diesels you could hand crank (had a few)

Most newer diesels need electricity to turn the starter and manage the engine systems.........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back