The cheapest and so far the best.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Hollyberry, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

In the interest of fellow Funsters comfort & economy ( and knowing how much they like a toilet discussion) I have been researching the best toilet additive.

Started off with the Funsters favourite, bio laundry liquid. Used Tesco & Asda own brands, £1.60 a litre. It was ok, litre bottle did about 6 treatments for best results. Tried stretching t to 8/9 but results were not pleasant.

To make sure I wasn't missing out I bought a bottle of "ecological" chemical at Shrewsbury Motorhome Show. £10. Used as directed it should have cost about 20 to 25 pence per treatment. Uggghhh. Not as good as bio liquid. Had to use far more and the slightest drop of liquid stained plastic, latex gloves, skin. Do not ever get it on your clothes!

Next tried Asda liquid laundry capsules, the green Bio ones. Cost would be about 18p per treatment. Brilliant. No smell on emptying. Ease of use can't be beaten, no measuring, just drop in a liquitab.

I saw Asda bio powder at £1 a box so thought I'd give it a try. I used a 250ml (1 cup) measure. Even better than liquitab s. Have dropped the dose down to a half cup measure ( this is a cooking measuring cup, not a tea cup) and still good enough. Cost will be about 10p pert treatment

Heavier to carry around, measuring involved but so far the best results and the cheapest.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 21
  2. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Well done that lady, dedication above and beyond the call of duty.:thumb: in all seriousness good tips, thank you. :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. patch

patch Read Only Funster

Just the kind of tips beginners like us are looking for.

4. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I knew those years spent researching in Eastern Europe and Africa would come in use. Obviously they were just practice for my real vocation in life --- toilet research!

• Like Like x 4
  5. keith

keith Funster

A good test that, I will give it a try.

Another forum I visit did similar test and they liked the Formil tablets or liquid sold by Lidl.

I was not keen on the tablets but the liquid is good, and that's what I am using now.

6. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Would it be worth the trouble of preparing pre-measured doses wrapped in paper bags/envelopes of some kind?

Just a thought

Wyn

7. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Must be a lady thing. I use the cheapest option....... I don't use anything. Emptying is a bit smelly but you get used to it. 4 Years fulltiming now and never bought any.

Thanks for doing the research though:thumb: Nice job:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Just as a point of interest, which is the best toilet tissue as since I have started taking my newspapers online am coming to the end of my supply. The nail in the door can then be utilised for something else :Smile:

• Like Like x 7
  9. simbadog

simbadog Funster

Izal medicated :Wink:

10. busby

busby Funster

Telegraph for the posher bum. BUSBY. Big issue for me.

11. wasp

wasp Funster

Best bog rolls are the free ones, yknow every time you go to the shop bogs, grab a andful pub, public toilets, posh friends( cos they buy the softer stuff):Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

12. B-well

B-well Funster

dock leaf double sided, as nature intended

13. davejen

davejen Funster

But just be careful you don't use the sharp end!!!
    Cheers, Dave:thumb:

14. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Good find, thanks Hollyberry. As a matter of interest does the 'bio' mean this is biogradeable or biological ? I thought that only biodegradeable is safe for sewage (less harm to the environment and all that?)

:Smile:

15. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Just found this......

Many rural public toilet will have private sewage systems - concerns regarding the use of dry powder biological powder:

Often dry powder clothes washer soap appears as clots and clogs in the system.
    Passing solid clumps of detergent into the septic tank speed clogging of the system and in severe cases can even block a building drain.

"Budget" powdered laundry detergents contain extra amounts of fillers (in some cases montmorillonite clay) which increase the risk of system drainage or drainfield clogging.

Surfactants in detergents (and from any source) are toxic to fish, basically suffocating them by interfering with the ability of the fish's gills to absorb oxygen from water.
    Phosphates in detergents pass through the septic system (or municipal wastewater treatment system) and enter surface water causing very high growth rates of algae. The algae growth, in turn, suffocates fish and other life in rivers, streams, lakes, and ponds. The rapidly growing "dead zones" at the edges of major water bodies around coastal areas are blamed on surface runoff that contains phosphates, (probably largely from agricultural use).

16. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Asda ingredients......

Asda Smart Price Washing Powder contains amongst other ingredients: Less than 5%, Zeolite, Polycarboxylates, Oxygen Based Bleaching Agents, Anionic Surfactants, Non-Ionic Surfactants, Phosphonates , Also contains: Enzymes, Optical Brightener, Perfume .

I've just answered my own question............it's food for thought eh?