pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Hi, this question will have been asked before? On advice from a friend of our dad who has lived in his 1981 autotrail for years, he has told us to join this club or forget about enjoying our autotrail! Is he right , all opinions will be much appreciated , nade and steve.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Not sure about that!! However, if you intend to just wild camp, then booking into either a CC site, or even a C&CC place every few days to drop your grey water, take on fresh, and empty the loo is a big advantage.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Did he say why?

A lot of us are members and probably most of them say they wont be next year :)

I think the clue is in the name :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We are members you can get good discounts

on admission to places they do some good meets and we insure mh with them they have
some nice sites some silly rules yes and the wardens are a little uptight at some sites but
other wise it suits us .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Why forget about it? That seems a very odd thing to say.

Does he think that the only places you can go are run by that shower?

I'm not a member any more and can't see any circumstances where I would contemplate re joining.

The only reason I can think of to be a member is access to the CL network but I've never once been asked for membership details at one either while I was a member or since I cancelled so it's not really required.

Of course if you want to stay on their stalags sites it might be different but I'd rather sell the van than do that.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
its worth membership for the CL's but you can get by without the CC IMHO. it realy depends on what you expect from a site.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Must admit, it does take a lot out of the hit and miss thingie. We left the C&CC three years ago, after being members for over 40 years, because I'm a snob. :)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We're members of both.. I think it's only c&cc who let you drop waste and use facilities . Think it's 7 quid.
We don't mind c&cc sites and as our girl is disabled we get free membership for her .
Don't really use the cc enough to renew it. M6 toll discounts nice though.
Were greedy hook up merchants too (with our new cable) so we like places in the uk with hook up and hard standings.
MHF is the only club you need to be in tbh.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We use the Caravan Club for booking the ferry, we usually go Hull Zeebrugge and they seem to have the best deals, even better over the phone than their own web site.

Martin

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Must admit, it does take a lot out of the hit and miss thingie. We left the C&CC three years ago, after being members for over 40 years, because I'm a piss taker :)
That's true but I still like you.:p

C&CC for us, CC are very tugger orientated and unless you've got brand new kit they seem to look down on you but each to their own eh (y)

Deleted User
wer'e members because our son lives near a CL and we can use it to visit him (sites nearby are extortionate) the membership pays for itself.

We wouldn't contemplate staying on a CC site though, unless there was no alternate (our idea of hell in almost every regard)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
15 years and I have never joined....
Am I weird ????

Managed OK and had some great times, every time I hear about the caravan club it seems to get worse.. Fun and the Motorcaravanners club (MCC) does me...

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Lots of posts on other threads will say the same kind of comments; some love and some hate the CC.

On this matter, I would have to say that your father's friend has an opinion that I don't share; you can have lots of fun without being a member of the Caravan Club or the C&CC.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Belonging to one or both these clubs,is like belt and braces, a safety net,there are times when they offer a place to park up nearest to where you want to be, the CL's And CS's+Ths sites can offer good quality stayover at reasonable costs.
For this reason,we are paid up ASCI members again for this year as well,if you have to be in an area at a special date,you cannot rely on getting on to an Aire,so this club offers dscounted prices on a range of sites in europe and at £15-17 ? pounds a year,is a bargain. People manage without being members of any of these clubs very well,so there is nothing set in stone that you miss out on not joining them,lets just say,it increases your options as to where you lay your head of a night .
Tea Bag

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As a fulltimer I find the CC CL network invaluable. Lots of them all over the country, un-regimented and friendly. I don't use any other service of the CC. I would never stop at a CC main site though.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I am a member of both clubs and find them invaluable.you know what facilities to expect ,and almost every site I have used over past thirty years has had helpful ,cheerful wardens . Both clubs offer competitive insurance and discounted channel crossings ..as a solo motorhomer I tend to use c&cc most because they give single person and age concession discounts.

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Some good sites in great locations and nearly always excellent facilities

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We are members of CC, C&CC and MCC. We mainly use rallies/THSs these days (Fun, C&CC, MCC). We were considering cancelling CC membership when it comes up for renewal in May but will probably end up keeping it just in case we want to use a CL.

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
We are thinking of cancelling our CC membership not used any sites for the last 3 years. Impossible to get on main sites unless you book in January or go I low season. The only thing we use is their international camping card and you can get similar from ASCI Think we'll keep our 48 quid this year and have a meal out!

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Hi, this question will have been asked before? On advice from a friend of our dad who has lived in his 1981 autotrail for years, he has told us to join this club or forget about enjoying our autotrail! Is he right , all opinions will be much appreciated , nade and steve.

It very much depends on how you want to camp and where you are. We use the half price M6 toll road several times a year and the membership fee was easily covered for us by that alone. We also took advantage of the entry fee reductions to places like Longleate and other stuff I can't remember.

I understand why some people don't like the clubs they can be bit prescriptive, but we find that the CC has sites we like, in the places we want to go to.

So it suits us.

As a complete aside.

Don't know if anyone else has reported this, but at Cobham Services on the M25 you can pay to dump your black waste.

regards

LC

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Gary217

I believe you need to be a member to use the CL and CS 5 van network, you need to be a member to book ferries and overseas rallies.

End of the day it depends what you want out of a club.

Martin

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Like what Davidg58 says we have been meaning to leave next year and have been so for the last 36 years!!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
@Gary217 on the ferry are you able to spend much time on car deck with your dog ? I was under impression dogs had to be left pretty much alone in van for duration of crossing. One reason we used tunnel in the past.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you are just starting out with motorhomes and only intending to stay in uk , one or the other will be a help to you to get going , but once you know the ropes and can use the Internet or read a book there is no need for them at all as there are thousands of sites and also as someone else said you can use the cc/ccc sites as a non member but it costs a bit more. Also there are britstops and the like , in fact loads of pubs that are not in britstops that will let you park up.
And then it comes down to when you venture abroad, you will find there is absolutely no need for them at all.

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !

You are correct you usually can stay as a non member, but I believe you have to pay an extra £10 per night or some such fee. So after 4 nights you are out of pocket, like everything it really depends on how you want to camp.
You need to try all the options and see what you really like .
Good luck with your new adventure!
LC

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A long time member of the CC and will remain so simply for being able to use CLs.. like this.. £5 per night..

DSCF1945.JPG DSCF1946.JPG

and this

DSCF1947.JPG DSCF1948.JPG

and yes I know some non members use them.. but many CL owners will ask for your membership card ..

if you don't need or want to join the CC or the C&CC .. fair enough .. no one is forcing anyone

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Like many, I am in the CC as I use their CL's. Haven't been on a proper CC site for years.
However, I am intrigued to hear of someone who has lived in an Autotrail for years and hasn't drowned yet. :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back