The caravan club

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by pigginchilli, Jan 20, 2016.

1. pigginchilli

pigginchilli Read Only Funster

Hi, this question will have been asked before? On advice from a friend of our dad who has lived in his 1981 autotrail for years, he has told us to join this club or forget about enjoying our autotrail! Is he right , all opinions will be much appreciated , nade and steve.

2. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Not sure about that!! However, if you intend to just wild camp, then booking into either a CC site, or even a C&CC place every few days to drop your grey water, take on fresh, and empty the loo is a big advantage.

• Like Like x 6
  3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Did he say why?

A lot of us are members and probably most of them say they wont be next year :)

I think the clue is in the name :D

4. beacons

beacons Funster

We are members you can get good discounts

on admission to places they do some good meets and we insure mh with them they have
    some nice sites some silly rules yes and the wardens are a little uptight at some sites but
    other wise it suits us .

• Like Like x 3
  5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Why forget about it? That seems a very odd thing to say.

Does he think that the only places you can go are run by that shower?

I'm not a member any more and can't see any circumstances where I would contemplate re joining.

The only reason I can think of to be a member is access to the CL network but I've never once been asked for membership details at one either while I was a member or since I cancelled so it's not really required.

Of course if you want to stay on their stalags sites it might be different but I'd rather sell the van than do that.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Phill D

Phill D

its worth membership for the CL's but you can get by without the CC IMHO. it realy depends on what you expect from a site.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Must admit, it does take a lot out of the hit and miss thingie. We left the C&CC three years ago, after being members for over 40 years, because I'm a snob. :)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We're members of both.. I think it's only c&cc who let you drop waste and use facilities . Think it's 7 quid.
    We don't mind c&cc sites and as our girl is disabled we get free membership for her .
    Don't really use the cc enough to renew it. M6 toll discounts nice though.
    Were greedy hook up merchants too (with our new cable) so we like places in the uk with hook up and hard standings.
    MHF is the only club you need to be in tbh.

9. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

We use the Caravan Club for booking the ferry, we usually go Hull Zeebrugge and they seem to have the best deals, even better over the phone than their own web site.

Martin

10. Badknee

Badknee Funster

That's true but I still like you.:p

C&CC for us, CC are very tugger orientated and unless you've got brand new kit they seem to look down on you but each to their own eh (y)

• Like Like x 3
  11. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

wer'e members because our son lives near a CL and we can use it to visit him (sites nearby are extortionate) the membership pays for itself.

We wouldn't contemplate staying on a CC site though, unless there was no alternate (our idea of hell in almost every regard)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Is that not a spelling mistake as well???:Eeek::BigGrin::blush:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  13. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

15 years and I have never joined....
    Am I weird ????

Managed OK and had some great times, every time I hear about the caravan club it seems to get worse.. Fun and the Motorcaravanners club (MCC) does me...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Lots of posts on other threads will say the same kind of comments; some love and some hate the CC.

On this matter, I would have to say that your father's friend has an opinion that I don't share; you can have lots of fun without being a member of the Caravan Club or the C&CC.

15. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Belonging to one or both these clubs,is like belt and braces, a safety net,there are times when they offer a place to park up nearest to where you want to be, the CL's And CS's+Ths sites can offer good quality stayover at reasonable costs.
    For this reason,we are paid up ASCI members again for this year as well,if you have to be in an area at a special date,you cannot rely on getting on to an Aire,so this club offers dscounted prices on a range of sites in europe and at £15-17 ? pounds a year,is a bargain. People manage without being members of any of these clubs very well,so there is nothing set in stone that you miss out on not joining them,lets just say,it increases your options as to where you lay your head of a night .
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 2
  16. Gromett

Gromett Funster

As a fulltimer I find the CC CL network invaluable. Lots of them all over the country, un-regimented and friendly. I don't use any other service of the CC. I would never stop at a CC main site though.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

I am a member of both clubs and find them invaluable.you know what facilities to expect ,and almost every site I have used over past thirty years has had helpful ,cheerful wardens . Both clubs offer competitive insurance and discounted channel crossings ..as a solo motorhomer I tend to use c&cc most because they give single person and age concession discounts.

• Like Like x 6
  18. SteveB123

SteveB123 Funster

Some good sites in great locations and nearly always excellent facilities

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We are members of CC, C&CC and MCC. We mainly use rallies/THSs these days (Fun, C&CC, MCC). We were considering cancelling CC membership when it comes up for renewal in May but will probably end up keeping it just in case we want to use a CL.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wicketter

Wicketter Funster

We are thinking of cancelling our CC membership not used any sites for the last 3 years. Impossible to get on main sites unless you book in January or go I low season. The only thing we use is their international camping card and you can get similar from ASCI Think we'll keep our 48 quid this year and have a meal out!

• Like Like x 1