The Caravan Club are just wrong! (2 Viewers)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I think their software uses "as the crow flies" which often bears no relation on foot or road.
We've launched a new website this evening that uses Google Maps APK to show events. It works on nearest postcode. So if for example an event is in the middle of valley, it could well be out by a mile or two.
Personally, we always check the postcode / directions before setting off ;)

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
I think that the answer is in the title 'Caravan Club' they still seem to be struggling with the concept of Motorhomes didn't use to matter if the site was a short distance from village/town as everyone used there car to drive in. Whereas parking a Motorhome in town is not allways so easy so we look for a another way to get there. Regarding pitch positioning because space is normally a premium and to regulate the safe distance between vehicles it can be nessasery to make sure that all vehicles are parked in similar area of pitch. But I do think it over the top if you get asked to move a small distance or straighten up on the pitch. We aren't a CC site and try not to push to much on pitch position and leave it to the common sense of customers, which most of the time works out fine. We do however insist forwards or backwards on the pitch. But I'll put money on it that if we do have any gripes it's from CC caravan owners. And yes it is bloody hard work, and you can't please everyone all the time, but we try

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think the CC would serve its members better if it returned to being a club instead of the protectionist profit monster that its become.

I think the Uk would be a better place to visit if there were more good alternative s to caravan sites miles away from anywhere with no views

As it is - I join the majority of other UK mh'ers on the ferry to France, Germany, Italy etc. Where its so much easier, cheaper, better weather and they've never heard of the effing Caravan Club.

Jon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I was browsing the Caravan Club website to find some new places to go this summer and did a search based on sites within 0.5 miles of a town.
It came up with the new site near Ludlow. Perfect! We are playing there in May and an overnight stay would be lovely. Wrong! When we went to look at it today, we found that it's at least 1.5 miles from the town along a busy road with a narrow footpath.
Another site the search threw up was Ilfracombe. On reading the blurb however, that site is described as being 3 miles from the town.
I hope people don't book on the strength of the Caravan Club's silly search facility!

J, whilst I agree with all you say to the extent of liking the OP I must admit to being ever so slightly miffed.............the thread title led me to believe that this time the CC was going to get it .... and having seen the author of this post I thought Oh Boy they're going to get it big style, a writ, threats to senior staff on the Club Together forum or at least a box of poo on the steps at Club HQ in East Grinstead, I got the popcorn, made a cuppa (I'm on duty), remembered all the times I've been moved 34 cms right so that the rear bumper was exactly 12 cms away from the peg with a grim smile. And then disappointment, no poo on the steps, no writ, no threats. I am bereft.:cry::cry::cry:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
In our first year of owning a motorhome
We joined fun went to 6 rally's
We olso joined CC stopped on one CL for 3 nights (Lost money )

Second year
Still in fun 8 rally's and a run to Morocco
Olso joined CC&C went to one rally (lost money)

This year looks like it will just be Fun and all for a tenner

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think the Uk would be a better place to visit if there were more good alternative s to caravan sites miles away from anywhere with no views
If there were commercial sense in opening such alternatives they would already be in place.

We have been in the CC since 2006 when we bought our first van but hardly ever use main sites now and maintain membership just so that we can take advantage of the CL network if we wish. In all the times we have used main sites, though we have never had any problems with any of the wardens. Far from being anti-motorhome, we have seen motorhomes, rather than caravans, occupying several of the warden pitches.

Phil J.

Free Member
Dec 21, 2014
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 696
Exp
We stayed at Weir caravan park, Stamford Bridge, York. Its a few minutes walk into nice village with great fish and chip shop and Sam smiths pub for cheap beers, also has other shops and regular bus service into York.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Regarding pitch positioning because space is normally a premium and to regulate the safe distance between vehicles it can be nessasery to make sure that all vehicles are parked in similar area of pitch. But I do think it over the top if you get asked to move a small distance or straighten up on the pitch. We aren't a CC site and try not to push to much on pitch position and leave it to the common sense of customers, which most of the time works out fine. We do however insist forwards or backwards on the pitch.

The reason they give about fire regulations and pitch positioning becomes a farce if you have a motorhome with the habitation door on the RHS, like many of us do.

If you are told that you have to park front LHS against the marker post and you put your awning out then you will be closer to the next pitch and facing there awning with a gap that does not comply with there own regulations. You are using the postage stamp sized gap that is intended (if you were a caravan) for a car to be parked, with all the space now on the wrong side.

Post Edit: Of course I meant to say Rear RHS against post :smiley:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The reason they give about fire regulations and pitch positioning becomes a farce if you have a motorhome with the habitation door on the RHS, like many of us do.

If you are told that you have to park front LHS against the marker post and you put your awning out then you will be closer to the next pitch and facing there awning with a gap that does not comply with there own regulations. You are using the postage stamp sized gap that is intended (if you were a caravan) for a car to be parked, with all the space now on the wrong side.
Not so David. Our habitation door is on the off side. When we stayed at Chapel Lane last year we were asked (and shown on a leaflet) to pitch nose in rather than nose out, something that was no problem at all.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Not so David. Our habitation door is on the off side. When we stayed at Chapel Lane last year we were asked (and shown on a leaflet) to pitch nose in rather than nose out, something that was no problem at all.

Sorry Graham, it's me that's got that wrong, :rolleyes: nose in is fine, it's the other way around that can cause the problem!

Reactions: GJH
T

Tackle man

Deleted User
I am not a CC member and will not become one however I would like to know something.
WHAT would a warden do if you told him to F. Off or something to the like manner. You have paid you money and he cannot physically remove you, does he call the police. get a tow truck, have you barred from everywhere else in the world, take you and cane you as an example to the others. What can he do???? Why do they get to be total F===wits do they breed people for jobs like that or maybe use ex planning officers from the council.

If we come across untrained ignorant leftovers that become site wardens because they are wannabe retirees and they start any unfair dictation we usually smile and say, "retirement is wonderful ... you should try it!) :LOL:(y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We were on a C&CC site and I was reliably informed by the warden that my door was on the wrong side, I said if it was on the other side, I'd have to open the fridge door to get in and out of my van.
We're also told that they like all the hab doors facing the same way for privacy, so they make us drive onto pitches instead of reversing which I prefer to do, ok your hab door is on the same side as everyone else's, but your front window is looking right onto the pitch behind you without the advantage of usually the road between you.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I know we're quite new to this, but we've spent about 100 nights on sites - mostly one or two nights per site - and we have NEVER had a problem of any sort with the staff.

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
I know we're quite new to this, but we've spent about 100 nights on sites - mostly one or two nights per site - and we have NEVER had a problem of any sort with the staff.

We stayed at Aldridge Hill in the New Forest for a couple of weeks last summer (excellent welcome and staff) and thought we would check out Denny Wood site for a future visit. We arrived by car and parked in the area outside of the gate and walked in to ask permission to have a look at the site. We are members of the club but before we could say anything the wardens, warders or whatever they like to be known as looked at us as though we had just deposited a foul smell and told us quite bluntly to stay no longer than ten minutes!
Now, .... we fully understand about security etc etc but!! ... they did not even give us a chance to explain. We stayed outside of reception in full view of the warders and just had a brief look into the distance before we left feeling very upset and disappointed with our treatment.
Suffice to say that when we got home from holiday I had 2 emails, one was from the C&CC asking for my feedback of my holiday and the other email was from Camping in The Forest who wanted the same feedback. I explained as I have done here to both parties and was assured that Denny Wood would be informed.
It will be very interesting when we show up at Denny Wood this year with our Hymer and not car ... I wonder if they will crack their face with a smile? ..... I won't let on who I am! :sneaky::sneaky:

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
We're also told that they like all the hab doors facing the same way for privacy,
Sorry don't mean to be rude, but isn't that just etiquette everywhere? I always check which way the hab doors are facing before parking/pitching- even on aires

Reactions: CWH

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp

Don't worry there's still time so you will at some point in your travels

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Don't worry there's still time so you will at some point in your travels

I'm a CC member but like so many others on here only use the CL's which are excellent and well worth the £40 odd quid we pay the Hellfire Club. I do use the Sandringham Site though and the wardens there are great and when I visit my Mum in Kirriemuir stay on the site at Forfar, wardens are helpful there too. Having stayed at Exeter Racecourse once we decided never to return..............maybe it was a bad day. Can't wait to visit Baltic Wharf you've whetted my appetite jc:D

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Go on jc it's quiet tonight.............stick it to the barstewards!:D

OK here's one event
BH works in Bristol 1-2 days a week When we bought our Hymer (to save on hotel costs) we 1st booked into Baltic Wharf. On route from West Dorset we found the M5 blocked due to an accident. Originally we had left with time to spare but as we entered Bristol we realized we might not make their dead line of 8.30pm so we phoned to advise them. We arrived at 8.31pm (1 minute late I checked) and the gates were closed. However we phoned and they did open up but not before repeating that they close at 8.30pm and we are lucky to be let in :oops:. It appears the courtesy of phoning to let them know fell on deaf ears. Then it was "your vans European isn't" Yes says I "then you'll have to drive straight onto the pitch" On driving to the pitch I noticed quite a few 'European' vans many of which were facing out meaning their doors were on the 'wrong' side. :mad:
Since then we no longer feel the urge to go there. In fact since the fitting of our 150w solar panel we now wildcamp in the BH's office car park :)

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We are members of the club but before we could say anything the wardens, warders or whatever they like to be known as looked at us as though we had just deposited a foul smell and told us quite bluntly to stay no longer than ten minutes!
Sorry but I feel that if you had approached bearing your membership cards that the response may have been very different. I'm very in favour of the wardens being suspicious of people who have not pre booked and arrive without any obvious signs "like a van" that they want to camp.

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
Sorry but I feel that if you had approached bearing your membership cards that the response may have been very different. I'm very in favour of the wardens being suspicious of people who have not pre booked and arrive without any obvious signs "like a van" that they want to camp.

Yes, You are right to be cautious of course. However, my wife and I are respectable human beings and expect to be treated as such! Hindsight is a wonderful thing but when on a holiday motor homing things get done on the spur of the moment. We did not have our cards with us.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Can't wait to visit Baltic Wharf you've whetted my appetite jc:D
You'll have to be quick with it shutting :D

We've only been to Baltic Wharf once. As usual for CC sites (in our experience) we were told to drive round and select where we wanted to be then go back to let them know which pitch we had chosen. No problem at all. The only thing that did go slightly awry was that when we needed to change a Calor bottle it had to be for a more expensive Lite one. It was when the Lite ones were new and very popular as a result. The warden apologised, explaining that the store was very small and they did not have the room to keep both types of bottle.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
I think their software uses "as the crow flies" which often bears no relation on foot or road.

They must be using this type of software as many companies do.

For example if I go on the PC World website, put in my post code to find the nearest store it tells me that their store in Elgin is 22.1 miles away. However Elgin is 73.4 miles from here by road (checked on Google Maps). It is however 22 miles away if I went by boat straight across the Moray Firth!

The best way to check exactly how far a site is from any town is to do a 'get directions' on Google Maps.

Keith Hart

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
You'll have to be quick with it shutting :D

We've only been to Baltic Wharf once. As usual for CC sites (in our experience) we were told to drive round and select where we wanted to be then go back to let them know which pitch we had chosen. No problem at all. The only thing that did go slightly awry was that when we needed to change a Calor bottle it had to be for a more expensive Lite one. It was when the Lite ones were new and very popular as a result. The warden apologised, explaining that the store was very small and they did not have the room to keep both types of bottle.
Bu##er! :D

Reactions: GJH

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Reading all these posts makes you wonder just who the customer is ? :D

If it wasn't for the CL's, which we usually find can be quite charming and excellent, I doubt we would bother to be members.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Reading all these posts makes you wonder just who the customer is ? :D
If it wasn't for the CL's, which we usually find can be quite charming and excellent, I doubt we would bother to be members.
That's sort of the point though isn't it - we aren't "customers", we're "members". If we want 5* customer service we'd be paying 5* prices, and the staff would be paid a darn sight more than CC or CCC site staff.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back