Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
No, I'm not advertising other than trying to spread the word that we (Mo and Dick) will be out of touch for several weeks to come.

Our daughter Jennifer was the innocent party in a head-on car smash last Thursday 19th and is currently in Salisbury's Odstock hospital, almost literally in bits!

She had to be cut from her BMW and so far they have identified both legs broken with her right leg driven up into her body by two inches. Her right hip is smashed and her pelvis is broken in three places. Her right arm is broken, her right chest is damaged and her right collarbone is possibly damaged but they cannot tell that yet because of the local swelling - however, today they also identifed damage to her spine.

Apparently a car coming toward her strayed over the white centre line and smacked Jennifer straight in her Offside headlamp and took the complete side off of Jenny's BMW. Thank goodness there were several cars following Jennifer and all of them said that she was within the speed limit and in her correct position on the road - she just happened to be in the way of the 'straying' car and copped the full force of it.

I hope that you will all appreciate that we will need to be with our daughter for some time to come and therefore we will not be paying attention to our own site or to MHFun.

Mo and Dick

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Christ - deepest sympathy from one with two daughters, you must be gutted.

At least you describe something that she *will* get through. Keep thinking this.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Mo & Dick, sorry to hear about your daughter's horrific accident. We hope she will be ok, and makes a good recovery. It's amazing what the medics can do nowadays.
Hope the police throw the book at the offending other driver- he certainly deserves it.
Best wishes from Dave &Jen:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Dick what terrible news for you and Mo, hope your daughter gets better soon.

Olley

brianju

Free Member
Sep 18, 2007
Hampshire Hogs now in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
A class 1991 Hymer B544
Exp
10yrs ish - US 5th Wheel/US RV/Eurovan
Mo and Dick

Our thoughts go out to you, what a terrible shock for you both.

We hope your dear daughter Jennifer will soon be on the road to a full recovery.

Look after yourselves too, you will need the extra energy !

Best wishes

Brian & Julia,,

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Dick hope all is OK.

Worrying times for you.

Wishing Jennifer a speedy and full recovery.

Last edited:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Mo & Dick

What dreadfull news, our thoughts are with you and your daughter, we hope she makes a full & speedy recovery.

Best wishes

Brian & Pam

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
What a trajedy - I hope your daughter makes a full recovery, be strong and be with her as much as you can, we'll all undestand.

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Dreadful news, hope she makes a full recovery soon.
Ralph and Dot

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
What awful news to read on the site,all our best wishes and prayers for your daughters speedy recovery,our children are most special in all our lives,hopefully will meet up in happier times,

Marshall and Sylv

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
So sorry to hear about your daughter.
Nothing in the world is more precious than our children and we never cease caring about them, no matter what age they are.
Our prayers are with you for a speedy recovery. My daughter worked in A & E and they can do miracles today.
Just remember to look after yourselves too. Hope to meet in happier times.
Lucille & Dave

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Dear Mo and Dick

We were so sorry to see your news, and send our best wishes to you and your daughter, who we hope will soon be on the road recovery, even though it sounds as if it may be a long road.

Bob and Di

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
accident

hi mo and dick.sorry to hear about your daughters accident,our thoughts and best wishes go to all of you at this stressfull time.muz and dragon

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Hope your daughter's recovery is a smooth one.

All the best.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Mo & Dick

What terrible news it doesn't matter what age they are the worrying never stops eh!!.

I'm sure she will make a full recovery our thoughts are with you both and your daughter.

Rory & Jan

Dreamchaserrv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2008
Wherever we park
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
9 Years
Hope she makes a speedy recovery, so sorry to hear such bad news. Best wishes to you all, Tom & Barbara Goulden.

Sherpa

Free Member
Aug 7, 2008
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
25yrs with breaks
Mo and Dick

My wife and I are truly sorry to hear about you daughter Jenny as we live in Salisbury close to where the accident occurred, and my wife also works with your other daughter( Penny)

Two of our daughters are staff at Salisbury and District Hospital, so we know she will be extremely well cared for by all the medical staff involved, and we sincerely hope she makes a complete recovery

OP
OP
moandick

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Sherpa

I have to say that although I am only floating in and out to the Radnor Ward ITC/HDU at present, I have yet to meet a more caring bunch of people. I cannot say anything more than they are superb and I wish I could thank each and every one of them personally.

Jenny is soon to go to Southampton General (we are told), so that they can sort out her Hip and Pelvis damage and then, hopefully, she will come back to Salisbury for the rest of her to be repaired.

May I take this opportunity to say thanks to everybody for their good wishes - I have passed on every word of encouragement to Jenny - if she could she would also say thank you, too :thumb:

Mo and Dick

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
big pitch guide

hi mo & dick,so sorry to hear about your daughter.hope she makes a full and speedy recovery.our children are so precious,and for most parents it is not until something like this happens that we realise how precious.keep thinking positive regards brian & jo

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Sorry to hear about Jenny. We wish her well. Keep smiling, you know if you need to get rid of any frustrations it can be shared here, spread over all of our shoulders, will lighten the load a little for you both.

Nigel and Pamala

pieterv

Free Member
Mar 8, 2009
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Very sorry to hear about the accident. Hope she makes a full recovery.

I suppose with these things patience is important, (as already mentioned) modern medicine can do marvelous things, and more importantly the human body is an amazing bit of kit, give it time and it will fix most things.

Pieter

OP
OP
moandick

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Frankie

Thanks for your concern on Jenny, my daughter, who I am very pleased and relieved to say is now well on the way to recovery - although she still has a long way to go and will probably never recover 100% use of her legs.

She was a taxi-driver in Andover and was returning from Salisbury to Andover after doing a 'school' run when she was hit head-on by a car which had slid over the white lines by a couple of feet. Thankfully Jenny was in a very strongly built BMW because her car simply wrapped itself around her from the 100 miles per hour impact (Police re-enactment to 'prove' the speed for the impending court case where the other driver is to be sued for 'dangerous'driving').

Unfortunately all sorts of bits and pieces stuck into her legs and did a lot of soft tissue damage as well as breaking nearly every bone in her body except her left arm and chest. As a result it took the Fire crews nearly 3½ hours to cut her out of the car - at the end of which time they simply could not believe she was still alive - that is what they told her when they went to Salisbury Hospital to visit her a week or so later.

Lots of surgery, lots of skin grafting and lots of metal rods sticking out of her at all angles, she spent four weeks in Intensive care before being taken to Bristol Frenchay where they have rebuilt her hip socket and joint and repositioned both of her legs into a more normal situation. It would seem that she had her right foot on the brake when the impact occurred and the force of the impact drove her right leg up into her body, smashing her hip joint and pelvis on the way and leaving her right leg shortened by about 4 inches.

We had a telephone call from her about five minutes ago - she has now finished surgery on both of her legs and pelvis and the skin grafts have taken well so she is about to be taken back to Salisbury Oddstock Hospital where they can assess any damage to her spine. We don't think she has too much damage in that region because she can now manoeuvre herself into a 'lying-back' sit up position without too much pain - but the test will come soon when they start to 'dangle' her legs off the bed prior to walk and weight testing.

Anyway - the simple fact that she is alive, has no damage to her face and is 'compos-mentis' as they say, is more than enough for me, I will settle for that and anything else is a sheer bonus!

Enough from me - I tend to get very emotional when talking about my 42 year old little girl - much to her ambarrassment :Blush:

May I take this opportunity to say a big thank you to everybody who has posted on this thread - I have faithfully recorded every comment and Jenny has a bulging 'clip-board' of printings hanging on the side of her bed. She was as much overwhelmed by your good wishes as Mo and myself - a heart-felt thank you to one and all. :thanks2:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Glad to hear she's on the mend and hope her life can go back to being as near normal as possible.

Dreadful accident and understand as lost my brother to a drunk driver in 1996 who smashed head on into my brother on the wrong side of the dual carriageway of the A12

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back