The best way from A to C via B

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Jim, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

One of the most annoying things about Electronic mapping such as Microsoft Autoroute or TomTom is that its difficult to get it to give you the very best route for you. You might drive a wide RV or you might want to take in a particular scenic road on the way.

What I like about Google Maps is that after I have told it that I want to get from a to b it will then give me draggable driving directions.:thumb: Just click on the route and drag it to your preferred alternative and the program will instantly re-write your driving instructions. How cool is that?

Try it - its Free and Fun so I know you will like it.:BigGrin:Click on "get directions", input the start and end points of the journey then have a play at dragging the route. Its very good. Give it a whirl here <Google Maps>

2. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

thanks very useful and added to favorites:thumb:

3. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Just tried it out, it's blooming marvellous. That's a top tip Jim:thumb:

4. keith

keith Funster

Jim, You can do that in Autoroute in exactly the same way.
    I use all the time for the very reasons you gave.

5. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

Hi Jim

Thanks :thumb:that is so cool :Cool::Cool:I have just been on there for 1/2hr looking at some of our planned routes in Ireland from the 5th April so another wasted night tonite looking at all sorts of routes!!!:Rofl1:

Regards Pat

6. olley

olley Funster

Hi Jim that just proves how backward you welsh lot are, that feature has been out about a year now. :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Olley

7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I know Olley, but if you keep it a secret then what use is that:Rofl1:

Google has lots of secrets, here is one I just learned but you probably knew of it years ago:Smile:

Google can give us all the locations mentioned in some books and place them on a map, they are adding books all the time. if you go to Google Book Search you can search for details on almost every book in print. Nothing new there, but if you click on "about this book" and scroll to the bottom. you can see a map with all the locations, click on a location and the page no and some text appears. That is Cool (even if you have seen it before:Smile:)

A good example of this is in Jules Verne's Around the World in Eighty Days . Look at it <here> and scroll down to the map.

8. olley

olley Funster

Hi Jim funny you should mention that, I only found out about this 30 seconds ago reading your post :Rofl1:

Just had a look, not very good is it, tried Harry potter and theirs no map of where hogwarts is, and I can't find the location of Discworld anywhere.

Thought never mind lets have a look for King Solomon's mines, seeing as I am a bit short of the readies, no not shown either.

Olley

9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Can't complain either because Googles free. Dontcha just love that:Laughing:

10. keith

keith Funster

You just love averything free don't you Jim :thumb::thumb: