The Age old Battery problem

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Vennwood, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Vennwood

Vennwood Read Only Funster

I have noticed that the two 110Ah Elecsol batteries fitted in our camper are now 7 years old and may need replacing in the near future. I haven't tested them yet however I will do before we set off on holiday for 6 weeks. I like the peace of mind in having plenty of battery power as we spend a fair amount of time off grid. I was thinking of replacing both batteries with a single Varta 250/270 AH but notice that the original battery box/locker will not take the length of any batteries greater than 110 AH. Has anyone come across this problem and found a battery size greater than 110 AH that will fit in the compartment? Another alternative may be to extend the main leads and put a single 250+AH battery in the adjacent locker. Any thoughts/suggestions would be very welcome.

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

these days some seem to be making more amp hour batteries smaller than they used to.
    just ask around and measure some . try all your local battery places .
    not sure how good some of them are but 200 amphr ones seem to be down to the size of 170 amphr ones in places .

3. Bluestar

Bluestar Funster

110's should be ok for most applications that's what I use, are you using solar? as a good solar system will run /keep your system in peak condition.

4. Vennwood

Vennwood Read Only Funster

No Solar I'm afraid - well not so far. There is a Sterling 50AMP B2B fitted so before a go mad and get solar I want to see how effective this is. In the past we have mainly moved on after 2 or 3 days so the B2B may suffice. I have been a staunch supporter of solar having had a total of 435W on the roof on our last camper and boasted that we never used EHU in over 8 years. (and that was using the camper some 18 -20 weeks every year, winter included). I'm not sure about 2 x 110 being enough and all the sites I've looked at so far have indicated a jump in length from around 350mm to over 500mm once you look at larger batteries.

5. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

• Like Like x 1