DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I had a friend who was scanned and they found an aneurysm. He could have dropped dead at any moment, if it bursts it is 100% fatal. It is a major op to fix with a protracted recovery period but he is alive today, which he wouldn't be otherwise.

Get the scan if invited.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Had mine done last year, by a doctor wearing a tin hat. No aircraft spotted. (y)(y)

Apart from that, well worth having done, but take care, if they find anything, your driving licence can be at risk, as they inform DVLC of any medical condition found. :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Had mine done recently. No bulges or shrinkage :clap2:Asked how often, every 65 years if OK when checked.
Have recently done the 3 stick samples :moon2: Blood samples show all in order but BP bit high, but nice slow pulse, 50 to 65.
I intend to choose my kids retirement home and spend all their inheritance:laughing:

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Had mine done just after my sixty fifth birthday, its a bit of gel on your belly and an instant result bit like pregnant ladies really. You can see whats happening on the screen as the nice young nurse (in my case) did it. Got the all clear fortunately.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
My dad died aged 79 due to an aortic aneurysm so will be getting mine checked as soon as I reach 65. (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Never heard of it and never been offered the chance to have it.

@daveandsan
Screening
All men in the UK who are 65 or over are offered an ultrasound scan to check for AAAs.

All men should receive an invitation in the year they turn 65 years old. Men who are older than 65 can refer themselves for screening by contacting their local NHS AAA screening service.

For more information, visit our page on AAA screening.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just booked mine on 0191 445 2554 for the Cumbria and Lancashire area.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
My dad had bruising round his stomach for a few days and mild discomfort, he then felt nuch worse, collapsed and died within 24 hrs, this was in 1996 when they didn't operate he was 68, his brother had same problem several years later and had a repair. He is still alive fairly well and in his mid eighties. It is hereditary and my brothers and I have all been screened. Its a no brainer my mum had 18 years without my dad and we lost a very dear Dad and Grandad.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Is it something that only men can get? Even the link kept referring to male scans only.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Is it something that only men can get? Even the link kept referring to male scans only.

I think also females .. however.. from the info

"This swelling is far more common in men aged over 65 than it is in women and younger men, so men are invited for screening in the year they turn 65."

Perhaps esquire at your surgery ?

Prevention
The best way to prevent getting an aneurysm – or reduce the risk of an aneurysm growing bigger and possibly rupturing – is to avoid anything that could damage your blood vessels, such as:

• smoking
  • eating a high-fat diet
  • not exercising regularly
  • being overweight or obese
Read more about preventing aneurysms.

Screening
Men who are 65 and over are offered a screening test to check if they have an AAA.

All men in England are invited for screening in the year they turn 65.

Men who are over 65 and have not previously been screened can request a screening test by contacting their local AAA screening service directly.

Women and men under 65 are not invited for screening.

However, if you feel you have an increased risk of having an AAA, talk to your GP who can still refer you for a scan.

Read more about screening for an AAA.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I can't have ultrasound scans :(. Had so many in the past I have become allergic to the gels.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
No , anyone can have it . My mothers post Mortem showed that she had AA although it was not the cause of of her death . I had a scan just to make sure I did not have AA and all was OK . It is just an ultrasound scan and in my case they looked at my gallbladder as well making sure I did not have gallstones . I got the results straight away .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back