The £ today. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was hoping for another drop when the article 50 letter was dropped. I was hoping for another drop on the release of the EU's Draft negotiating document.

I was disappointed on both fronts :(

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I'm hanging on in the hope it goes up another little. The euros I have are getting low.. Nearly time to get motorhome hand in pocket:mad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We got some the onther day at €1.156 to £1, checked just now and it's €1.1782 with Revolut by comparison Caxton are only offering 1.1515.

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
:LOL:
I was hoping for another drop when the article 50 letter was dropped. I was hoping for another drop on the release of the EU's Draft negotiating document.

I was disappointed on both fronts :(
Tough titty :LOL:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Lets say we do. Meanwhile ww n't need to worry about the brexit effect when it gets back to pre brexit levels meanwhile the drop from the previous level will show up in inflation

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Has been rising over the last few days despite article 50 now being issued,long may it continue. Seems as if we are not in the mire that has been predicted. (y)
Sterling has slumped 17 per cent against the US dollar and 15 per cent against the euro since Britain voted to leave the European Union on June 23.

Looks Mirey to me

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Bought some homeward flights from Ryanair during the week and they offered their "perfect" exchange rate of 1.09. The thing about Ryanair is that you know that if they do anything like this it is for their benefit so a few clicks allowed me to pay by Clarity. Good to know how far the "perfect" exchange rate was from reality.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Maybe it shows they didn't want us in the EU really ;)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We got some the onther day at €1.156 to £1, checked just now and it's €1.1782 with Revolut by comparison Caxton are only offering 1.1515.
Yes we boobed by getting the Caxton card. It will be getting emptied and dumped for Revolut next time.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just bought ours today at the PO at 1.13 tourist rate but it don't matter. We're off whatever the bloody rate is, hopefully the Halifax card bank rate will help with the pain.
We used our Halifax card in Benidorm last week and all cash out of the wall was converted , at 1.14

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Or this one,
Revolut and Caxton are cash cards, Halifax Clarity card is a credit card, 2 different things (we have them all, Caxton purely as a backup).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes we boobed by getting the Caxton card. It will be getting emptied and dumped for Revolut next time.
If you really want to dump Caxton you can actually transfer the funds from it to Revolut, I've did it when I dumped FairFX ... however as you've already converted £ to € when you loaded your Caxton card and it has no €200 limit per calendar month regarding ATM withdrawal as the Revolut one has you might as well just spend it as you need to then transfer any balance to Revolut, ie what you cannot spend/withdraw from an ATM as it is too small an amount.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You can't compare the exchange rate offered by any currency card to that offered by any credit card. The currency card will always win hands down due to the very simple fact that you may choose when to exchange the currency and obviously do so when the rate is advantageous.
The currency is then held on the card in Euros not Sterling.

A credit card is the opposite. The currency is exchanged when the transaction is processed, and that isn't on the day you make the purchase, it's anything up to a week later and you are stuck with whatever the Visa or MasterCard rate for the day is.

As an example I still have a few Euros on my Revolut card that I bought at 1.40+. I also have a Clarity card. The MasterCard day rate yesterday, so valid for the whole weekend, is 1.1649.

If I make a 100 Euro purchase using the Clarity card it would cost me £85.84. The same purchase using my Revolut card would cost me £71.42 assuming 1.40 as the rate I bought the Euros at.

Not rocket science to see the best rate is it?

As long as you keep an eye on the rate and exchange at the right time on a currency card then it doesn't matter what credit card you have it can never ever compete.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@NickNic, I understand what you are saying and that's why we've been using up our € on the Revolut card which we loaded last year at over €1.30 - when buying fuel etc on our last holiday we always paid in cash and bought stuff with cash where we could rather than use the credit card which had a very low exchange rate at the time.

We've still got about €100 euros on our Revolut cards at the €1.30+ rate but soon will have to use the £ we've just exchanged at €1.15 ... fortunately not too much so with it going up a little bit in the last couple of days we'll top it up at the higher rate ... still not ideal but a lot better than the abysmal rates we've seen in the past.

Deleted User
I got an email from Revolut about a 'Premium' version with a monthly cash withdrawal allowance of €400 but I have yet to discover how to apply for this or if there is a cost, anybody know how to apply for this or what it costs?

If I try through my existing Revolut app it keeps simply telling me that I already have it!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I got an email from Revolut about a 'Premium' version with a monthly cash withdrawal allowance of €400 but I have yet to discover how to apply for this or if there is a cost, anybody know how to apply for this or what it costs?

If I try through my existing Revolut app it keeps simply telling me that I have already have it!

It's £6.99 per month and you can apply in the app if you want it.

Personally I don't use it enough to make that worthwhile but I can understand how some people would.

Deleted User
It's £6.99 per month and you can apply in the app if you want it.

Personally I don't use it enough to make that worthwhile but I can understand how some people would.

Thanks for that.
I have only just started using the Revolut app and the basic works for me, I don't even need the card but I will probably get one as a backup.

I have a Portuguese bank a/c with a debit card so I use Revolut to convert and then transfer the euros, I was a little worried when I read that there was a limit of £5000 on free transfers but since I read the terms properly this is per month and not pa, lots more than enough for my frugal needs:)

Reactions: DBK

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If you really want to dump Caxton you can actually transfer the funds from it to Revolut, I've did it when I dumped FairFX ... however as you've already converted £ to € when you loaded your Caxton card and it has no €200 limit per calendar month regarding ATM withdrawal as the Revolut one has you might as well just spend it as you need to then transfer any balance to Revolut, ie what you cannot spend/withdraw from an ATM as it is too small an amount.
No it's still in sterling. We have just been using it and letting it transfer whatever the rate has been but good info what we don't spend I can transfer to revel it when I open an account(y)

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
You can't compare the exchange rate offered by any currency card to that offered by any credit card. The currency card will always win hands down due to the very simple fact that you may choose when to exchange the currency and obviously do so when the rate is advantageous.

Not rocket science to see the best rate is it?

If only it were that simple, but it's not. No one knows which way the exchange rate is going. Those who think they do are called gamblers and work for big banks. Suppose you bought at 1.40 (I did too) and when you came to spend it was 1.50? Not so smart then. Once you've used all your euros you have to buy again so I look forward to your advice as to when the most advantageous time is. 1.15? Suppose it goes to 1.20 in 6 months, will you compensate for my losses, or do you know for sure which way it's going?

Moneysavingexpert.com explains it all in simple language.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back