Feb 12, 2016
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 590
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All,

i have just bought my first motorhome. It's a RollerTeam 590 and so far I am very pleased with it . The only downside is driving it. I thought we would have a run to the New Forest as it is only up the road from Bournemouth. How on earth do you drive these things? Despite my best efforts I managed to whack one of my mirror on a bush and then the caught the roof with overhanging branches despite being in the middle of the road. The edge of the road and the white lines in the middle looked to be a about 1 inch from my wing mirrors which doesn't leave much scope for error. Feeling a bit worried.

Cheers

Boyd

Ps I have driven a Motorhome before but don't remember it being so difficult.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Find a bigger wider road :D.
Fairly new to it myself, just have to be a bit more size aware.
Best bit of advice was look out for bus stops or wheelie bins because if buses or bin lorries get there, so can you (y).
On last week's trip to Hampshire, I managed to find my way (thanks SatNav) down a little lane marked 6'6" except for access... Well I needed access to get where I was going :rolleyes:.
All good with a little breathing in ;).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
Hello and welcome you will get used to it again I'm sure, narrow roads are a challenge!

Liz

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are some very narrow roads in the New Forest, I suggest staying away until you are more confident!

Try visiting a supermarket when it is shut and practice reversing in their car park. If you go on narrow roads you will need this skill! :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
It is nerve wracking but does get better.Two of the big caravan clubs do courses to help you gain confidence. Reversing can be assisted by a camera on the back but I always get out and "advice" my husband ! Needless to say he doesn't always listen! Don't let your first trip put you off! It's worth persevering !! Good luck!(y)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Unfortunately the only to become comfortable and confident is to drive it as much as you can, it wont be long before you are doing tricks with it.
You'll soon be an advance driver (just like all of us on here????) and be very pleased with how good you have become. Ignore the wing mirrors they always take a beating.
Almost every Ducato has a dent where the mirror has hit the door.

Just stay away from Ireland for now!
(It did go through - although I did shut my eyes just in case)

DSC00384.jpg

OP
OP
Boyd

Boyd

Free Member
Feb 12, 2016
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 590
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all your replies. I think my first mistake was forgetting that I was not driving a car. It was definitely a baptism of fire. Practicing reversing in a car park sounds like a good idea but will have to be careful to not run over my wife.

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
just drive it everyday and you will become confident in it. Once you know what gaps it fits you will be fine and at first you will drive it like it is 3 ft wider! I find driving ours easy as im used to driving ambulances at speed through small gaps BUT when i first joined the ambulance service I'd never driven anything so big. 3 weeks driver training then a day on the skid pan and i was let loose. i can now squeeze our MH through gaps that make hubby's eyes water and he shrinks to a size 12 by breathing in so hard! Familiarity is all you need.

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
forgot to add - i am a woman driver!!!! so im sure there are many who will say that if i can, you can!

(thought id get it in first before someone else did :D )

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I remember my first motor home experience and I simply treated it like a bus taking corners very wide and slowing down well in advance of the cars in front, on the first couple of trips I was very aware of the vehicle dimensions but after a longer trip the brain kicks in and you forget about the van size and just enjoy sitting high and not being in a rush, after all if you can't get to your set destination you have all you need onboard.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Maybe some van driving training would help?
Learning from an experienced driver - and in their vehicle

Broken Link Removed

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Think you might be treading on thin ice Andy:giggler:
LOL.. You don't know what I've had to put up with.. couldn't resist a dig... but never get the better of her... That's old women for you..:LOL::LOL:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
There are some very narrow roads in the New Forest, I suggest staying away until you are more confident!

Try visiting a supermarket when it is shut and practice reversing in their car park. If you go on narrow roads you will need this skill! :)
Very true.....along with branches sticking out & overhanging:eek:

Plenty of easy parking though:D

Reactions: DBK

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision

Very true.....along with branches sticking out & overhanging:eek:

Plenty of easy parking in the forest car parks though:D

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Not just me having problems posting by the look of things:LOL:

Reactions: DBK

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Not just me having problems posting by the look of things:LOL:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Another double post but I will disguise it by adding that I have two marks on the windscreen that I use to line up with the edge of the road and the middle of the road, comes in useful sometimes then a quick check where the rear wheels are in the mirror just to confirm, French toll booths are my least favourite, another reason to avoid tolls.

Martin

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Practice on local roads that you know, drive to an out of town store you know has a big car park. You'll soon get used to it but a few shorter journies in the beginning will probably be less stressful.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Hello & welcome, I agree with the answers that say "practise makes perfect" & it will. The trouble is that you drove on a very challenging road. The New Forest is beautiful but wouldn't be my first choice for someone who's a bit rusty. Just imagine what its like for Paramedics, they throw vehicles of this size through crowded towns & villages. Or worse still, fire fighters throwing trucks around these self same roads & that's trucks full of water etc!!:eek:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
LOL.. You don't know what I've had to put up with.. couldn't resist a dig... but never get the better of her... That's old women for you..:LOL::LOL:

Hoy you Your chancing your luck. :mad: I could say your cruising for a bruising but Im not a violent woman...My tongues good enough so watch it LOL:LOL:

OP
OP
Boyd

Boyd

Free Member
Feb 12, 2016
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 590
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello & welcome, I agree with the answers that say "practise makes perfect" & it will. The trouble is that you drove on a very challenging road. The New Forest is beautiful but wouldn't be my first choice for someone who's a bit rusty. Just imagine what its like for Paramedics, they throw vehicles of this size through crowded towns & villages. Or worse still, fire fighters throwing trucks around these self same roads & that's trucks full of water etc!!:eek:

I've got a whole new respect for anybody that drives large vehicles.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
In Portugal Pete decided to drive to the Moho service point to fill up with water and empty the grey fully and may as well empty the cassette while we we're there. Fine - shall I watch you back? Yes please.

So I stand where he can see me and call Stop! He didn't so I yelled it again louder. He didn't and by this time the sapling he has already reversed into is about to snap and our next door neighbour has walked across and gave the back of the van the hardest smack I've ever heard just as I screamed Stop! so loud it hurt my throat.

At this point the driver's door window is rolled down and he berates me for not telling him and causing someone else to have to come and tell him which I was clearly at fault for doing - neighbour and I looked at each other in disbelief - then he apologised to Mike. By this time Mike and I were leaning against each other, crying with laughter ........

I always CHECK now when I'm watching him back, that he has his ruddy window rolled down.

PLEASE don't make that mistake!

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Practice, practice and more practice but you can still get cought out........!! Over the past 50 years I have driven all sorts, Articulated lorries, double decker busses, coaches, even a tank transporter with a 60 ton tank on the back. A few years ago whilst travelling down a small country lane in our Elle I cought a small branch about an inch diameter sticking out of a hedge. BANG!! I stopped, could see no damage to the van until I looked at the awning. Both ends smashed beyond belief. I think the branch had cought the front of the van, became tensioned then whipped onto the end of the awning with such force it smashed the workings on the far end too!! Result..new awning, and as I claimed on insurance higher premiums for a couple of years. Just goes to show, it can happen to us all. Practice but never stop learning...:happy:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back