That MH tummy tug! (1 Viewer)

Dawnbreak

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Not as yet
Even though months away from our 1st purchase, we actively look search/seek/try sit in lots of different MHs and makes to get a feel for what we want.....and how strange to find that whether looking at £20k or £65K...it doesn't make a shot of difference if you don't like it. Sat in a £68,000 autocruise for a bit of fun, looked at hubby and said "I wouldn't want this even if given to me".....the upholstery /woodwork/even down to the old fashioned oval mirror on the door...double yeuk....felt claustrophobic.
Then went into a £34,000 6,000 mile Swift Bolero....had a nice feel to it, felt like it had been loved and homely...... advice on here, you'll know it when you find it and believe its true... its like househunting me and hubby strongly feel that way. We'll walk into one when we're ready to purchase and know....but in the meantime must admit we are enjoying playing:thumb:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Sounds like great fun. I really wish you well in your search and hope you continue enjoying the search.

Ivy

spiritsfree

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
Sandy, Beds.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
You`re so right Dawnbreak. It`s a very personal choice and has "that" feel to it !

...and half of the fun is looking and working out what you need....not what anyone else feels you should have. We`re just taking delivery of something special to us, after looking, researching and considering what is right for us, what`s on board and when and how we use it. ( not being a summer tourer, rather a late autumn / early winter and late winter/early spring tourer ). Time for us to have what we enjoy, rather than wait and maybe never see what we want, in the comfort we`d like :Smile:

Enjoy your "looking"...and enjoy what you eventually get::bigsmile::thumb:::bigsmile:

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2009
Near Tenterden, Kent
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Since 2009
Apart from that gut feeling when you step into a M/H, you should think about renting a couple of different layouts.

We did and after renting our "perfect" vehicle, we went right off it after living in it for a weekend!! Rented our second choice van later, fell even more in love with the layout and proceeded to buy one.

As you are in Sussex, have a word with Johns Cross as they rent out different layouts.

Good luck and take your time......the right M/H is out there with your name on it.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
We too found this very difficult (2 years difficult in fact). You are perfectly correct; you will know when the right layout, quality and that little eureka moment happens. For us it was an Autotrail mohican. However, perfection can be very hard and you may, as we did, need to make compromises and try to get as close as you can to your requirements otherwise you may have a long wait.

Good luck in your hunt.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Even though months away from our 1st purchase, we actively look search/seek/try sit in lots of different MHs and makes to get a feel for what we want.....and how strange to find that whether looking at £20k or £65K...it doesn't make a shot of difference if you don't like it. Sat in a £68,000 autocruise for a bit of fun, looked at hubby and said "I wouldn't want this even if given to me".....the upholstery /woodwork/even down to the old fashioned oval mirror on the door...double yeuk....felt claustrophobic.
Then went into a £34,000 6,000 mile Swift Bolero....had a nice feel to it, felt like it had been loved and homely...... advice on here, you'll know it when you find it and believe its true... its like househunting me and hubby strongly feel that way. We'll walk into one when we're ready to purchase and know....but in the meantime must admit we are enjoying playing:thumb:

Hi Dawn,

Is this the Bolero? Swift Bolero 630 EK Motorhome 2007

and the AutoCruise? Autocruise Augusta Motorhome some one bought that one

Peter

OP
OP
D

Dawnbreak

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Not as yet
:Smile: Unfortunately not Peter.....we were a little over the Surrey way, around Godalming?!!

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Half the fun (well maybe not half!) is looking at new ones, we had a look around some new ones last week and thoroghly enjoyed it.

No motorhome is perfect, everyone is a compromise, and the trouble is you can always find one that is better in some areas than what you have, although probably worse in others. And evereyone's opinion is different, you have to decide on what is important to you.

We concluded that we are still very happy with ours overall but that will not stop us looking!

A couple of thoughts, about what we decided is important to us. We wanted a fixed bed separate from the lounge area. If away for any length of time swmbo goes to bed before me. We wanted large(ish) water, waste tanks and fridge. We also wanted to keep the mgw down to 3500, more than this and you have more fuss and bother (eg go boxes in Austria), higher tolls and in some countries lower speed limits. And you are barred from some roads. Plus storage space for our 2 folding bikes, outside chairs etc.

Sadly we found few british vans that did what we wanted, but lots of continentals do. British vans are often heavier but with smaller tanks and fridges.

Hiring one first is not a bad idea, but just looking is all part of the fun.

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
Might as well offer you my advice for what its worth , above all else when you find the ideal m/home ,check that it has sufficient payload for your needs a lot of people overlook this important factor.Good luck on your search , some good advice has been offered to you so far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back