That Dreaded Mot Time

Discussion in 'Swift Motorhomes' started by mickyb, Mar 20, 2010.

1. mickyb

mickyb Read Only Funster

Had our lovely 2003 Sundance 590RS nearly a year now after having a lot of problems from the dealer, we agreed the sale Feb 09 & finally picked it up May 09 hence its mot ran out at the begining of March, we have not used it since end of October when the tax expired. Went out there last weekend turned key, engine turned over once and fired into life, this week I fitted two new tyres to the rear as the old ones although tread like new had the date 32/00 stamped on them, Dealer put 2 new ones on the front last Year, anyhow two brand new avons fitted, luckily I work in a workshop for a large fleet company so i was able to buy the tyres through the company a fit them myself using their equiptment. Friday I checked all the lights were working & having booked the MOT for today Saturday 20th I drove the van the two miles to the test centre, as i have said earlier fixing vehicles is my trade & I take LGV vehicles for tests @ VOSA test centres, but I still get that pounding heart when taking my own vehicle!!! Anyhow after a very thorough going over & 55 mins later those magic words from the tester, Yup she's a good un, it's passed & not even any advisories. Just got to tax it now, change oil & filter & were back on the road for another season:thumb::thumb:

2. dave jm

dave jm Read Only Funster

Pleanty of life in the old girl/boy...enjoy:thumb::thumb:

3. neilmac

neilmac Read Only Funster

Great feeling isn't it :BigGrin:

4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Well done Mick, I know the feeling when I get our cars MOT'd at home and I know the garage owner!

Peter

5. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

You guys think you have it tough:RollEyes:
    I test my own:Rofl1::Rofl1::Doh:
    Seriously, at least once a year(that we know about) Vosa will pay us a visit
    and always ask two questions (the answer to which they already know)

1.Do you test your own vehicles?

2.Have you got one here today?

You have:thumb: great

Lets have it in then, and we will give it the once over for you

Now that my Friends is pumping heart and sweat syndrome:Eek!::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
    Geo

6. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

I would think if you test your own vehicle, then you are going to be even more cautious than you are with the public, :Wink: as the the safety of your own family is involved.

Anything at all that closely resembles a fault, of any kind, you would have it fixed at any cost.

I would also.

Lesley

7. robnchris

robnchris Funster

mot

Only had our motorhome since last September so never been through the MOT thing, just how different is the MOT for a PLG vehicle from a normal car MOT if any ?

8. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

MOT s are part of lifes rich tapestry. It would be monotonous if we didn't have these heart stopping moments every year :Wink:

9. Mick H

Mick H Read Only Funster

Can't say that the MOT worries me, paying for it hurts though.

I always give it a check myself, so that it doesn't fail on silly/simple things, but it is good to have it checked over professionally. I want to know if there is anything that might potentially compromise our safety.

10. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Just be glad it's an MOT and not TUV, the German mot.

My lad is based in Germany and as he's taken his car there permanent now it had to meet the German test (only allowed three months on UK documents). Their test is so severe and stringent he reckons thousands of vehicles here wouldn't get through.