LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
were just back from a 2 week break that descended into a very stressful time. fortunately with the help of the RAC were home safe and well

last saturday we were driving from south wales to a site in cambridge when suddenly and without warning we lost all drive to the wheels. there was no slipping clutch or bad noises to be heard from the gearbox, and the clutch pedal and gear lever all seemed correct.

anyway, after a tow on a fixed bar behind an RAC transit 4x4, we were diverted to a campsite at billing aquadrome to await repair after the bank holiday. OMG what an awful site, full of screaming kids loud music (the noise went on till 5 in the morning most days) and mud, loads and loads of mud. my idea of hell, and we were trapped there. sunday morning and I got a taxi into northampton to hire a car and at least we could escape.

tuesday came eventually and a large tow truck came to collect our van, and promptly cocked up towing it out of the sea of mud. it hardly gave confidence that the garage would be able to help when they couldnt guarantee finishing the repair that day.

as i said, thank god for the RAC, who chased the garage several times and negotiated a trade price for the repair. because of this, the garage worked on till the job was done, staying after normal closing time. mind you, the fitter got his own back by test driving our van round their carpark, and braking hard from 30mph, so shaking up the whole contents of the habitation area. every door we opened from fridge to top lockers allowed the content to spill out.

it turns out that we did need a new clutch, but not because the friction plates were worn, but because the clutch plate and bearing had shattered and disintegrated into several pieces without warning. so after paying the garage bill of £900, we were left well over £1000 out of pocket, but at least we are now home safe and well with our van.

cleaning the van inside and out to get rid of the mud will have to wait a couple of days though, as we are now exhausted :cry:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
900 quid for a clutch :Eeek::Eeek:I would have come home with van and got it done for less than a third of the price :Smile: Glad you got it sorted though :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
900 quid for a clutch :Eeek::Eeek:I would have come home with van and got it done for less than a third of the price :Smile: Glad you got it sorted though :thumb:
terry

the quotes i have seen are between £1100 and £1600 for the job at other garages. this is the 3 litre fiat engine with dual mass flywheel. they also replaced clutch slave cylinder and all fluids. apparently its a minimum 6 hour job and requires a good deal of work dismantling/reassembling

i did ask to be transported home to get it fixed but RAC stated recovery to local garage only, so we had no choice. chatting with the very helpful patrol man, he recomended the garage as best value and able to do the work quickest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Omg what a nightmare, good that it is sorted out now, just emphasises the freedom we normally enjoy with our motorhomes, when things are right we sometimes take the choices we have for granted, hope your next trip out is that relaxing one you need.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
the quotes i have seen are between £1100 and £1600 for the job at other garages. this is the 3 litre fiat engine with dual mass flywheel. they also replaced clutch slave cylinder and all fluids. apparently its a minimum 6 hour job and requires a good deal of work dismantling/reassembling

i did ask to be transported home to get it fixed but RAC stated recovery to local garage only, so we had no choice. chatting with the very helpful patrol man, he recomended the garage as best value and able to do the work quickest.

That's expensive :Eeek: no idea what price a duel mass flywheel clutch is but 200 quid plus parts would see it done around here -No idea why they needed to replace cyl and fluids
terry

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
The clutch assembly for the 3.0 is over £300. The slave cylinder is in the clutch housing so it makes sense to change it. I had the slave cylinder fail on mine it is in two parts the cylinder and the bleed nipple tube they wre about £50.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not of any use now But anyone faced with a new Duel Mass clutch job should enquire as to the option and availability of a clutch conversion instead of replacement.

Sadly the conversion will be almost the same cost first time round as the direct dual mass set up, but there after a third of the cost:thumb:
I know i hear you say I hope ill never need a third clutch, ask yourself punk, do you feel lucky:ROFLMAO:
It is an extra selling point and your paying out anyway:RollEyes:
plus you wont be scared of your clutch ever again:Cool:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
After reading your woes I really feel for you.

Not because your clutch went you understand, that could happen to anyone. But being towed to billing aqua drone :cry::cry::Doh:

Having been there I can sympathise with you,,,a truly awful place.....:Cool:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Sorry to hear of your clutch! DMF are an absolute pain, and should never have been invented! It seems that the springs go before the lining does on most occasions, and as said before - it may be worthwhile getting a dry conversion when you do have to replace. DMF's have been known to last stupidly low mileage! 'Preventative' maintenance recommendations made me laugh - whilst at a citroen dealer, they recommended 30k as they are known to e)(plode andf cause more damage. Absolute joke!

It appears only one this is consistent in life - Billing will always be sh**!:ROFLMAO:

On the recovery side, it may be worth calling and upgrading to full recovery. Not only will this give you more options when in an area, but will give you loan car to get home, or recovery with the vehicle - though I would recommend stayiong with the vehicle whilst it is recovered, albeit a long journey home. At least you can witness any damage or poor loading of your vehicle. I have seen some monkeys scraping the rear end of many a motorhome when loading them in the past - angers me, as they are trained on doing it properly!

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Sorry to hear of your clutch! DMF are an absolute pain, and should never have been invented! It seems that the springs go before the lining does on most occasions, and as said before - it may be worthwhile getting a dry conversion when you do have to replace. DMF's have been known to last stupidly low mileage! 'Preventative' maintenance recommendations made me laugh - whilst at a citroen dealer, they recommended 30k as they are known to e)(plode andf cause more damage. Absolute joke!

It appears only one this is consistent in life - Billing will always be sh**!:ROFLMAO:

On the recovery side, it may be worth calling and upgrading to full recovery. Not only will this give you more options when in an area, but will give you loan car to get home, or recovery with the vehicle - though I would recommend stayiong with the vehicle whilst it is recovered, albeit a long journey home. At least you can witness any damage or poor loading of your vehicle. I have seen some monkeys scraping the rear end of many a motorhome when loading them in the past - angers me, as they are trained on doing it properly!

my clutch managed 22100 miles before exploding into shrapnel, so it sounds like its a known issue

as for RAC, we have top level of cover including onward journey, courtesy car etc etc but they still insisted local repair only due to size and weight (of van, not me lol)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
my clutch managed 22100 miles before exploding into shrapnel, so it sounds like its a known issue

as for RAC, we have top level of cover including onward journey, courtesy car etc etc but they still insisted local repair only due to size and weight (of van, not me lol)

:Eeek: you should have insisted they take you home --I have just got arivals off them with 1 yrs C&CC free for 75 quid :thumb:Will take you to destination for your hols then back home :Smile: not that I would do that it would just be a cae of home :thumb:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back