Thanks all.... (1 Viewer)

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
This forum has been a good window into life as a motorhomer which is why I joined.

However after much research into the pros and cons of a motorhome versus a car/caravan combination and after trawling around dealers for days we have decided motorhome ownership is not for us.

I can see now many many ways why caravan ownership suits us better. I fully accept towing your home rather than motoring it is not for everyone, but it does suit us.

A tenner well spent I'd say not least because it avoided us making an expensive mistake.

So as I say thanks.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
you don't have to leave. you can still have fun.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
It's very much an individual thing.

There's no way I'd try to tow a caravan on my own, and tho I can see movers make setting up easier I still doubt I could do it!
Yet driving a 6 and a half metre motorhome around France and Britain didn't faze me at all.
My daughter and family have a caravan. They couldn't cope with packing up everything to go out for the day on holiday. Easier for them to strap the kids into car seats and leave all the chaos in situ!

I'm glad you've avoided buying the wrong thing, but do stay around. Caravan, motorhome, campervan, we all enjoy being out there and that's the main thing.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I'm glad you have taken time to make your decision. After towing a caravan for 20 years, it wasn't so much the towing I was fed up with, it was the removal of all the security I had in place (I had one stolen) before hitching up. Then had to replace it on site before setting up awning etc. This was all a chore and I resented having so much eensive security just because some toe rag has sticky fingers.
The right decision for us was a Motorhome. No extra security apart from a tracker and no setting up on site. In fact we seldom use sites any more.
I hope you enjoy your caravan. I know we did certainly for the first 18 years (y)
As others have said, no need to leave us. You will still have tales to tell and adventures to share and we would love to hear them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Good luck with the caravan.. (y)

We have owned both.. as have many other Funsters.. each has it's benefits and drawbacks.. which you have obviously considered.. but there is no right or wrong..

Whatever you own, we all have the same hobby.. traveling.and visiting old and new places. . at Fun meets you will find caravans , fivers, demountables, camper vans, motorhomes, USRVs , all sorts of sizes and makes.. no one is made to feel different or left out of the Fun.

At the end of the day it makes absolutely no difference to anyone else how you choose to travel..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You have to make the best decision for yourselves and, like others, I wish you all happiness with your caravan. No need to leave Fun though - we've had several people joining us at rallies in caravans in the past, it doesn't matter what you sleep in.

P.S. Sticking to a caravan rather than trying to tow a narrowboat up Birk Brow was a wise decision :D

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We were caravanners and discussed changing to a MH 5 years ago but decided that we were still wanting to carry on caravanning but fast forward 2 years and we bought our first MH. Your leisure time is just that, yours! You may change your minds later on. We're extremely happy now with the MH and our holidays have changed but we still rally with the groups we're members of and of course there's now Fun rallies to join

Enjoy, whatever you do (y)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We,ve waffled between the two as well. We have now decided a Motorhome is more practical for us. Each to their own.....it's a nice choice to have! Enjoy your travels.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
What a good post, it's good to get feed back on what people think, without fun I am sure we would not have the knowledge we have and explored some of the beautiful places suggested, as you have discovered always information and help here. My brother -in-law has just joined had caravan and car and just bought a new caravan and car last month but has decided there is information help and rally's on MotorhomeFun he would like to join in with, so a caravan is a brilliant reason for staying with us, let us know how you get on in your search, you are a Funster motorhome or caravan. :Smile:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Stay,it could be a win win,you can advise on nice out of the way sites you come across and pick up tips on where to park up your coupled up outfit,near to places of interest on route between sites.
We have gone,c/van-m/home-c/van-m/home and if ever the conditions changed,could easily go back to the c/van(Skeggy Box) LOL.
So STAY!!
Tea Bag

TERRY&PAULINE

Free Member
Feb 18, 2015
coventry
Funster No
MH
autocruise starfire
Exp
since 1987
We used to enjoy passing all the tuggers on the motorway restricted to 60mph, but since we started to tow a small car we now have to join them, whatever floats your boat its all about having fun, enjoy.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Puddleduck
There must be lots of Goddess' up in Scotland,Sun,Snow....Midges and you,ALL out on the same day!!! ? LOL and Carol Kirkwood..... LOL
Tea Bag

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back