LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Don't need any of those fancy kits in croatia, they fill any kind of gas bottle.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Since 2009 when we installed our single 11kg Gaslow at a cost of £240 we've put in just shy of 350 litres of LPG at a cost of approx £236 making a total outlay for cylinders/gas of £478. If instead we'd used a Calor 13kg cylinder for some and 7kg for others (where the gas locker wouldn't take the larger one) the cost comes out at around £481, so we're just over 'break even' point - that's assuming though that we'd been able to use the gas in the Calor cylinders totally and not leave any in them when exchanging it which would be difficult, it also doesn't take into account how we'd get Calor cylinders gas abroad!

However in order to extend the period between fills and be able to have more gas due to our going to Spain/Portugal where gas isn't quite so available as it is in France etc), I've now added a brand new 6kg R67 Gaslow cylinder which cost £50 (absolute bargain!) and connecting pipework costing around £27, making £77 in total, so will need to recoup the extra system cost to get to break even again, roughly another 10o litres of LPG will get us to that point. On our last 6 week trip we used 34 litres of gas so after another of our longer trips we'll be at break even again.

I'll point out though that the reason we went for the system wasn't due to the cost saving - as you can see it's taken a fair bit of time to get the break even! It was for several reasons:
  • the convenience of not having to keep messing about with exchanging gas bottles;
  • not having to have a spare full Calor 13kg at home to put in when going away for any length of time (to save giving gas back to Calor if the first cylinder wasn't completely empty!);
  • not worrying about running out of gas especially abroad
When we changed in 2010 to a MH which only took 1 cylinder in it's gas locker it became even more of a necessity to have a refillable system as we were then going abroad for longer periods of time which meant that a single Calor 13kg might not have proved sufficient, especially if the weather turned and we needed to use it for heating.

In a nutshell, its got to be the best MH specific piece of kit we've ever had in our MHs/campers and something I'd have again without question, the fact that Gas-It are now on the scene so that the single 11kg cylinder system is even cheaper than we paid IMV makes it a no brainer for anyone who actively uses their MH/camper and wants to take a lot of the worry out of running out of gas.(y)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Can you get replacement calor gas bottles on the continent or do you need to have refillable systems?

We are going next year and not sure if I should be dumping my calor bottles and fitting a refillable system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can you get replacement calor gas bottles on the continent or do you need to have refillable systems?

We are going next year and not sure if I should be dumping my calor bottles and fitting a refillable system.
You cannot get Calor bottles abroad I'm afraid - whether you really need a refillable system depends on a few things such as:
  • How long are you going for?
  • Will you use campsites and if so with or without electric hook up?
  • What size bottles can you accommodate?
  • What is your gas usage likely to be?
If you can give some sort of idea it will help us try to advise you better.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
You cannot get Calor bottles abroad I'm afraid - whether you really need a refillable system depends on a few things such as:
  • How long are you going for?
  • Will you use campsites and if so with or without electric hook up?
  • What size bottles can you accommodate?
  • What is your gas usage likely to be?
If you can give some sort of idea it will help us try to advise you better.
Our first trip will be for 7 days, then future trips about 3 weeks.
Campsites yes, some with hook up, some without
My locker currently has 2no 6 kg calor bottles
Hopefully no too much, as will cook outside off separate gas BBQ, but may need gas for fridge and heating ( first trip will be early may)

Any help/ advice gratefully received..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Our first trip will be for 7 days, then future trips about 3 weeks.
Campsites yes, some with hook up, some without
My locker currently has 2no 6 kg calor bottles
Hopefully no too much, as will cook outside off separate gas BBQ, but may need gas for fridge and heating ( first trip will be early may)

Any help/ advice gratefully received..

Your 2 x 6kg gas bottles hold roughly 10L of gas each, so that's 20L. As a rough guide, we use approx 1L of gas a day when away as we rely solely on gas most of the time with no hook up etc, and the only other 'input' being when we travel as the fridge goes onto the 12v system of the camper.

For just a week using sites with hookup and 2 x 6kg bottles (full I assume) you'd have enough gas to have a hog roast every day! :D

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Your 2 x 6kg gas bottles hold roughly 10L of gas each, so that's 20L. As a rough guide, we use approx 1L of gas a day when away as we rely solely on gas most of the time with no hook up etc, and the only other 'input' being when we travel as the fridge goes onto the 12v system of the camper.

For just a week using sites with hookup and 2 x 6kg bottles (full I assume) you'd have enough gas to have a hog roast every day! :D
Thanks for the help...will still with the calor bottles.. Now off to find a hog for future roasting..:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for the help...will still with the calor bottles.. Now off to find a hog for future roasting..:)
I assume you mean stick, otherwise you'll get invaded by lots of funsters expecting some pure alcoholic beveredges in which case your gas won't last more than a day!!! :LOL:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Just outside Ghent last week, we spotted GPL (LPG) for 29 cents a litre, and at Capellan Services in Luxembourg, we paid 32/33 cents per litre. .

The dearest priced LPG we've seen has been at Broonfools at Newark, ie, a shocking 90p per litre, at the time. :eek:

Cheers,

Jock.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I assume you mean stick, otherwise you'll get invaded by lots of funsters expecting some pure alcoholic beveredges in which case your gas won't last more than a day!!! :LOL:
Whoops......mind you, drink is for sharing....

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
cyl.calor propane 6kg = £20,25
cyl.French propane 11kg = 26,80€
cyl.Spanish propane 11kg = 13€

Spanish or French 'autogas ' around 54c per litre

Cost for fitting refillable system?