Tethering with Tesco.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Daveo2006, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

I am cancelling my contract with Orange soon after being with them for around 15 years or more due to the fact they rob me blind and i get promised something by someone in Asia and it does,t get honoured . I intend on getting a sim only contract for £10 a month which gives me 1gb of data for when we are away in MH.What i find bizarre is that i have just bought the new Ipad to take away with us instead of the wifes laptop and thought i would go all out and buy an Iphone 5 so all my bits are compatible i.e. iPad , Apple mac and iPhone.However the assistant tells me that you cant tether with Tesco sim with an iPhone.:Eeek: but it will work fine with my HTC. WHY?:Doh:

2. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Because the OS in the iPhone feeds a message back to the ISP that it is being tethered. If the ISP permits that, fine, if not they will find out.

Android based phones do not send any message back.

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  3. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I haven't had a problem with Orange that a good kicking off on 150 couldn't sort out :Rofl1:
    I have 1gb with tethering on my contract and no problems.
    Orange has just increased it's £3 daily data roaming (EU) from 30mb to 100mb that is pretty good and if you exceed 100mb it just starts another £3 bundle up to 10 times in any 24hrs
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  4. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

And I understand the iPhone's 4g won't work on the 4G network that O2 are rolling out round the country either. Apparently, it isn't compatible.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tofo

tofo Funster

have a look at giffgaff which runs on o2 network
    the same as tesco

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

6. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Giff gaff can't tether with the iphone either. It has nothing to do with them, just Apple being Apple. "If you don't sell our expensive phones we won't let you tether".

You can tether with all Android phones with Giff Gaff. Having said that only the £10 goodybag (with 1GB) will let you tether. All the more expensive ones are unlimited data, but no tethering.

I am just about to change over to Giff Gaff when my O2 contract runs out next week. Don't want another phone until all the networks offer 4G and the price for it comes down. Then may update my phone. I am only a light user and it is touch and go whether I will need the £10 Goodybag or stick with PAYG.

7. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

... Re that roaming data tariff
    Vodafone do £3 per day that you use the phone.. And on those days you get your normal UK talk plan.. Calls txt data..
    Roll on the end to roaming

8. chaser

chaser Funster

I have a strange one for you, I have a Nokia phone on O2 it hasn't got tethering built in but I have downloaded an app for it called joikuspot you will find it on google, well I can connect iPad through it ,no probs but not android , Julie has a Samsung and that will connect to both on the same O2 . Btw don't know if its common knowledge but you can use your normal data allowence in Europe for £1.99 aday if you tell them