Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I had a drive in a Hymer 644 I was thinking of buying this morning and scared myself to death. The last vehicle with a column shift I drove was my first car in the 60's, so the column shift on this, added to the wheel and everything else being reversed and the speedo in KPH didn't help.

I drove along the A5 near home, not the fast dual carriageway bit, but the narrow windy hilly bit that frustrates visitors to the V festival. Not a good idea when you aren't used to a vehicle, it's a non turbo diesel and you can't find gears where you expect them to be...:Sad:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
You can get used to driving pretty much anything, but I think the lack of a turbo may be something that you regret later if buying that one. They are a big heavy vehicle and underpowering will become obvious only when loaded up and travelling a distance

Yes I know there are people that disagree and quite like the lack of complication together with a sedate "get there eventually" attitude. However personally having driven both turbo and non turbo vans, there is no contest as the extra power makes the drive effortless. I can still drive slowly by choice, but long steep hills dont mean as much planning ahead and stirring the box whilst praying not to lose too much speed if theres a plodder in front of me

Johnnie Gee

Free Member
May 1, 2009
Near Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Test Drive

If this is the first motorhome you are buying, I would recommend a slightly smaller one than a 644. There may be too many things to get your head around at one time....LHD, width, gearbox, crosswinds, overtaking trucks on motorways, cornering, all need a fair bit of time to get used to if you have not had experience in larger vehicles previous to owning your first motorhome.
It took me some time to be confident in my 564 before I was happy taking it on longer journeys.
If you feel that you can manage a larger motorhome, then go ahead and enjoy, but I would hate to think that you tried it and gave it up because you found it a bit too scary for you and your family.
It's a great hobby and I hope you get the same enjoyment out of it as I have done when you decide which van suits your needs best.
Best of luck

JJG:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Thanks for the replies.

I don't think size was the problem as I drove 7.5 tonne GVW vehicles for ten years. The problem was more to do with the column change and lack of power on hills. The dealer had to drop someone off after buying their motorhome, so he said I'll drive to Telford and you drive back, which was good as I had a ten mile test drive. Unfortunately it also meant that I didn't have time to get used to the box and had problems changing down quickly on hills. Another problem with Hymers is that it's not like a normal left hand drive where you are against the window, because you have a gap, which makes it difficult at first to judge the distance from the edge of the road.

Despite all of this I'm sold on Hymers and I'm sure I can get used to it, especially if I can find a floor change version, but I'm going to keep looking for a turbo model, so I don't fall asleep on long hills::bigsmile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
You can get used to driving pretty much anything, but I think the lack of a turbo may be something that you regret later if buying that one. They are a big heavy vehicle and under powering will become obvious only when loaded up and travelling a distance

Yes I know there are people that disagree and quite like the lack of complication together with a sedate "get there eventually" attitude. However personally having driven both turbo and non turbo vans, there is no contest as the extra power makes the drive effortless. I can still drive slowly by choice, but long steep hills don't mean as much planning ahead and stirring the box whilst praying not to lose too much speed if there's a plodder in front of me

What Big1 one said is correct you do get used to driving a motorhome very quickly.....in fact I prefer driving the motorhome more than the car..I live in France I drive a RHD car/peoples carrier in France all the time and also back in the UK....I also drive drive a LHD 7.5m motorhome for around 8 months of the year in and around France the UK.......also Belgium,Germany,Luxemburg,Portugal,Spain....and what ever vehicle you are driving or what ever country you are in..your mind just takes it as normal..its like riding a bike once you have learned how to ride you never forget...it just becomes norm

I also agree with Johnnie gee
If this is the first motorhome you are buying, I would recommend a slightly smaller one than a 644. There may be too many things to get your head around at one time....LHD, width, gearbox, crosswinds, overtaking trucks on motorways, cornering, all need a fair bit of time to get used to if you have not had experience in larger vehicles previous to owning your first motorhome.

But it would be a shame for you to get used to and like motorhoming on a smaller motorhome and then in 6 months time want a bigger motorhome...money could get wasted in the transaction of buying and selling.
TEST DRIVE as many as you can...you will find some better than others that suit you:thumb:
......Don't just jump for the first van....in the UK if you are thinking of a second hand vehicle... you do have a good choice of many second hand motorhomes with low mileage at good prices....don't buy second a hand motorhome from FRANCE:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...they are so well used they are knack-ed when they sell them with lots of KM on the Speedo :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:a lot go shopping in them.....WOW do we like our motorhomes over here...

With Hymers is that it's not like a normal left hand drive where you are against the window, because you have a gap, which makes it difficult at first to judge the distance from the edge of the road.....mine is the same it is the "A CLASS" strange at first...a big gap between your side and the window and also the front window seems strange.......a few hours and then you do not notice it ...except when you come to pay at the Tolls ...you need a long arm::bigsmile:

Despite all of this I'm sold on Hymers and I'm sure I can get used to it, especially if I can find a floor change version, but I'm going to keep looking for a turbo model, so I don't fall asleep on long hills::bigsmile:

GOOD FOR YOU......and Good Luck

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back