test drive dilema

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Lord Mac, May 30, 2013.

1. Lord Mac

Lord Mac Funster

What do you do if like me and you are looking for your first motorhome and you want a test drive? OK it will be alright from a dealer but what about a private test sale test drive?

2. spitfire

spitfire Funster

We bought privately and took out on test drive with the seller but as he had a haulage business we used his temp plates for the business and of course he came too !! I am sure someone will have the answer here :) is excellent how helpful everyone is :BigGrin:

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I didn't know dealers allowed test drives in motorhomes. Just goes to show, you learn something every day.

4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

We do, no problem providing it is organised in advance in case a van is obstructed.

We even give the driver a cup of coffee or tea and a biccy:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Peter

• Like Like x 3
  5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Ahhh, but unfortunately they are not all like you Peter.

6. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

If you have insurance cover you will probably be allowed a test drive on a private sale, but be aware check your insurance first as not all insurance cover includes third party driving - meaning you are not allowed to drive other vehicles using your own insurance as cover for any possible misshaps

7. 4matt

4matt Read Only Funster

Yes check the wording of your existing policy if you have motor insurance. Most offer you third part insurance for other cars lent to or hired to you. Some even extend their fully comp to those on loan to you. Need not be a problem but if your that worried you should speak to your insurance provider.

8. herbies

herbies Read Only Funster

test drive

when i bought mine i used a company on the web called "insure for a day" i think it cost me £20.

9. robi49

robi49 Read Only Funster

Re insurance

If your insurance allows you to drive other vehicles, it will probably be for third party only.
    As it will state the insured may also drive a motor car not belonging to him or hired to him under a hire purchase agreement. provided he has a license to drive the vehicle and has the owners consent.

If it is a private sale I would never say I was road testing it as this could be construed as something to do with motor trade.
    robi

10. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Test drive - no problem when I bought mine from a dealer in Suffolk....