Tesco Vouchers for Eurotunnel - important changes again! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have just been exchanging some Tesco vouchers which were due to expire shortly for some Tesco Travel (Eurotunnel) vouchers.

I was already aware that instead of posting Travel vouchers which is what they did previously, they now email a Token Code to you, however what I was NOT aware of is the change to how many of the Travel Vouchers/Token Codes you can use.

You can still exchange Tesco Vouchers for a Travel Vouchers in multiples of £5 (3 x face value), but whereas before when you came to actually making your booking with Eurotunnel you could combine several Travel Vouchers to add up to the amount you needed to cover the cost of your Eurotunnel crossing, you CANNOT COMBINE THEM any more as only ONE CODE can be used PER BOOKING. :Eeek:

In a nutshell:

Previously: You could exchange some Tesco vouchers and get some Travel vouchers, and then get some more to build up to the amount you needed for your crossing.

Now: You can ONLY use ONE TRAVEL TOKEN CODE PER BOOKING, so if you haven't got enough Tesco vouchers to change for Travel tokens in one exchange via the Tesco website, to cover the full cost, you're stuffed and will have to pay the remainder yourself. It also means that you need to be a bit 'psychic' and try to work out what the cost of travel will be if you exchange well in advance of when you will be contacting Eurotunnel to actually make your booking (you still have 6 months to 'spend' the Travel Token when you get the code)!

Details here:

Tesco Eurotunnel Travel changes

I think that makes sense! :RollEyes:

Whether this change is applicable to any other 'deals' I don't know!

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
I've not used the tunnel before although we always think about it so that is useful to know.
I know when we have exchanged for other things we have received the codes instantly, so maybe it would be a case of checking price and hitting the buy button to get the code.
You can keep the vouchers for 2 years I think if you need to save up enough, then 6months once you have exchanged.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yes Minx, we did know - after we changed the second lot of vouchers to give us an extra £30 towards the tunnel ticket on top of the £30 worth we'd already got .......

Spit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Could you book your crossing as two separate journeys, one outward and one homeward, to use two travel vouchers?

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Looked like a good idea - but dreaded Terms and Conditions:

"Token codes can only be used for travel originating from Folkestone, including single journeys. Token codes cannot be used for trips originating from Calais."

Steve

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I have just been exchanging some Tesco vouchers which were due to expire shortly for some Tesco Travel (Eurotunnel) vouchers.

I was already aware that instead of posting Travel vouchers which is what they did previously, they now email a Token Code to you, however what I was NOT aware of is the change to how many of the Travel Vouchers/Token Codes you can use.

You can still exchange Tesco Vouchers for a Travel Vouchers in multiples of £5 (3 x face value), but whereas before when you came to actually making your booking with Eurotunnel you could combine several Travel Vouchers to add up to the amount you needed to cover the cost of your Eurotunnel crossing, you CANNOT COMBINE THEM any more as only ONE CODE can be used PER BOOKING. :Eeek:

In a nutshell:

Previously: You could exchange some Tesco vouchers and get some Travel vouchers, and then get some more to build up to the amount you needed for your crossing.

Now: You can ONLY use ONE TRAVEL TOKEN CODE PER BOOKING, so if you haven't got enough Tesco vouchers to change for Travel tokens in one exchange via the Tesco website, to cover the full cost, you're stuffed and will have to pay the remainder yourself. It also means that you need to be a bit 'psychic' and try to work out what the cost of travel will be if you exchange well in advance of when you will be contacting Eurotunnel to actually make your booking (you still have 6 months to 'spend' the Travel Token when you get the code)!

Details here:

I don't quite see the problem. We save the vouchers up until we have enough to book our crossing in one go as they have a long expiry date. I have just converted some that would not have run out until 2015 giving 2 years to collect enough to pay for your crossing.

Or am I missing something here?

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Yes, I know this is an old thread BUT . . . .

another change by Tesco. It is no longer possible to check the clubcard account balance if not in the UK. In an exchange of e-mails with clubcard it has transpired that :-

It is only possible to check your balance if you are connected to an ISP based in the UK. There is source-checking software in place.

The clubcard has to be registered to a UK address.

It is possible to order travel vouchers, for use in the UK, by telephoning +44(0)808 1000 707. For Eurotunnel, just continue as before once the token code has been received.

I suppose this is only useful information to those of us who live outside of the UK, but still accumulate clubcard points.

J

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Shop in Lidl/Aldi + support your local enterprises ...and save a bomb in the process.

If I hear that this tesco scheme is "free" once more I will sqeam and squem again until I make myself sick!:D

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I like the tesco vouchers (they are free aren't they... really ((we use a tesco credit card to buy fuel) )

... And i like Aldi...

Actually.. I quite like tescos too

The sharing/frequent traveller thing is good... But we probably won't share

Is this allowed :whistle:

(covers ears to await scweeming)

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I like the tesco vouchers (they are free aren't they... really ((we use a tesco credit card to buy fuel) )

... And i like Aldi...

Actually.. I quite like tescos too

The sharing/frequent traveller thing is good... But we probably won't share

Is this allowed :whistle:

(covers ears to await scweeming)

Good news for you then (and me)! Aldi have just started to accept credit cards - so use your Tesco credit card in Aldi and get the best of both worlds (y)

What do they say... every little helps! >:)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi,
We have used Tesco for trips in the Chunnel several times and I suppose it's a good scheme BUT, if ever there was an instance of why the great general public in the UK has got rather upset with Tesco.
1. When Tesco first started giving out points for using their cards, they gave a healthy bonus to those using them in their Garages. I don't think they do that any more.
2.Use a card at a place other than Tesco and they used to give half a point per pound. Just remind how low that has gone.
3. The recent change in the process of saving up to but things like Chunnel. Are they out to trap the unwary and save a few quid. If not what is the reason.
4. Finally, one of my pet gripes. When you get your vouchers every three months and lets say it has accumulated to £15. Why don't they give you a£10 and £5 voucher. I guarantee that you'll get a £9.50 and £5.50 voucher (or something similar.) It's designed so that it isn't easy when they do one of their Double points swops. They only accept in full units of £5 therefore you give them the excess and have to wait another three months before you can go through the whole process again.

I could go on about how the £14 Litre bottle of Gin offer suddenly became, in the same stare, at the same place the £14, 70cl bottle of Gin offer, oops I already have!!!

They must think that we're a set of morons who don't notice. I DO!!!

Rant over.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi,
When you get your vouchers every three months and lets say it has accumulated to £15. Why don't they give you a£10 and £5 voucher. I guarantee that you'll get a £9.50 and £5.50 voucher (or something similar.) It's designed so that it isn't easy when they do one of their Double points swops. They only accept in full units of £5 therefore you give them the excess and have to wait another three months before you can go through the whole process again.
Rant over.
We have opted to only get our Tesco vouchers once a year in November, that way they come at the right time for when we want to make some bookings with Eurotunnel for the following year so we don't have to mess about using them in dribs and drabs throughout the year, it also makes sure we always have enough all at the same time to exchange for the full value of at least one return crossing. :)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Shop in Lidl/Aldi + support your local enterprises ...and save a bomb in the process.

If I hear that this tesco scheme is "free" once more I will sqeam and squem again until I make myself sick!:D
... but they are if you only buy discounted stuff anyway or happen to 'find' some discarded Tesco receipts in the car park with unused points on and get them put on your card (123 points was our best single receipt to date!) ... or even better, we once found a discarded £5 off coupon and often find some giving X amount off the next shop ... sad, but true! :rolleyes:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We have opted to only get our Tesco vouchers once a year in November, that way they come at the right time for when we want to make some bookings with Eurotunnel for the following year so we don't have to mess about using them in dribs and drabs throughout the year, it also makes sure we always have enough all at the same time to exchange for the full value of at least one return crossing. :)

Minx,

You are like us, a proactive shopper who understands how to screw this and other similar Co.s down.
My beef with Tesco's is the cynical manner in which they seem to operate, helped in no part by the stupidity of what seems a large minority of their customers. It is this minority who are keeping the Co. still going. The others have voted with their feet and Tesco are suffering (at last).
My D in L is a "Wombler" of the first order but I'm afrad my pickings have been slim.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My beef with tesco and their share holders that drive this business model is: new super store opens down the road, they jack the prices because they know people will come to have a gorp. Other nearbye supermarkets see what they are charging and jack their prices up!:cautious:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Minx,

You are like us, a proactive shopper who understands how to screw this and other similar Co.s down.
My beef with Tesco's is the cynical manner in which they seem to operate, helped in no part by the stupidity of what seems a large minority of their customers. It is this minority who are keeping the Co. still going. The others have voted with their feet and Tesco are suffering (at last).
My D in L is a "Wombler" of the first order but I'm afrad my pickings have been slim.
I'm obviously stupid then...

Its a shop and I don't really care tbh..

Lots more serious things to concern oneself with...... Or is there:confused:

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming

In a nutshell:

Details here:

Wouldn’t it be better to ring the Tesco club card helpline and have your vouchers that are nearing the expiry date refreshed and re-issued I have done this on a few occasions rather than use them unnecessarily to avoid them expiring. Just a thought.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Wouldn’t it be better to ring the Tesco club card helpline and have your vouchers that are nearing the expiry date refreshed and re-issued I have done this on a few occasions rather than use them unnecessarily to avoid them expiring. Just a thought.
They're probably sorted - the thread is 6 to 7 years old.:giggle:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
gwyntaxi
Keep up chuck ... have you been in cryogenic suspension for a few years :oops: ... or gaol?o_O :LOL:

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
gwyntaxi
Keep up chuck ... have you been in cryogenic suspension for a few years :oops: ... or gaol?o_O :LOL:
That’ll teach me to check the dates in future, but why do posts which are years old keep popping up, must be my advancing years.Ah well......

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That’ll teach me to check the dates in future, but why do posts which are years old keep popping up, must be my advancing years.Ah well......
Did you select it from the bottom of another thread regarding Eurotunnel etc under the heading 'Similar threads' which are shown below your reply box?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back