Tesco launches £2.50 a month broadband

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ShiftZZ, Feb 15, 2012.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/general/1290412/tesco-launches-2-50-a-month-broadband

Supermarket giant Tesco has announced a new broadband service with a headline-grabbing monthly subscription of just £2.50 - but, as you may have guessed, there are a few catches to watch out for.

Tesco's broadband deal sees customers holding a Clubcard granted access to the budget broadband bargain, which costs just £2.50 for the first twelve months before reverting to the standard price of £6.50.

As part of the monthly cost, subscribers get a wireless router included, while there is no set-up charge if a twelve-month contract is taken or a £40 charge for those taking a 30-day rolling contract option. Speeds of up to 20Mb/s will be available, Tesco has claimed, making it one of the cheapest high-speed connections currently available.

Before rushing to your nearest branch, however, there are a couple of things of which you should be aware. Firstly, Tesco has included a so-called Fair Usage Policy, limiting its users downloads to 100GB per month. It's a high figure, but one which gives lie to the company's claims of 'unlimited broadband.'

The next catch is rather more serious: the deal is only available to those willing to switch their voice telephone service away from their current provider and to Tesco's own service. As a result, the £2.50/£6.50 broadband fee will also require a £13.75 per month line rental payable to Tesco rather than BT. It's also possible to add on unlimited calls for an additional £4.50.

Even with the line rental included, and taking the fair usage policy into account, Tesco's offer seems like a good deal. With the broadband market proving increasingly crowded, however, expect others to follow with headline-grabbing discounts of their own.

• Like Like x 4
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

6.5+13.75+4.5 = £24.75.

How strange, almost exactly what we pay TalkTalk.

• Like Like x 2
  3. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

always a catch

there is always a catch or small print.

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  4. tofo

tofo Funster

the very word TESCO tells me no thanks

wouldnt want it even if it was free from them

dont like their ways

:Angry::Angry:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  5. nannyjan

nannyjan Read Only Funster

BT current offer

Just organised BT Brioadband and free calls including 0845 qnd 0870 numbers for 16 pounds per month. First 3 months free and if done on line 4 months free. Came hightly recommended from neighbour and assured excellent wi fi service. Hope this info is useful

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

That's too cheap, I assume it's plus £13 line rental.

7. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Works out pretty much the same as I pay BT (after complaining and threatening to go elsewhere)

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

It's a bit cheaper than my Virgin contract at £29 ..

no download limit, free eve and w/e calls and free to other virgin phones.. plus a decent amount of web hosting space, free on line back-up for photos and 100 FREE printed 6x4 each month .. (never used this service as I prefer to print my own)

I've looked into cheaper providers but there is always a catch .. and when I've had a problem you get to speak to a person in a UK call centre (Swansea I think.. always have a Welsh accent ) who are very knowledgeable and helpful ..

Better the devil you know..

However..

soon we will be able to get super fast FibreWiFi and will definitely look into it as it would be (hopefully) a lot faster than my present adsl ..
    http://www.fibrewifi.com/
    my only concern is the 40gb allowance .. may be a bit tight.

9. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I just renegotiated my phone and Broadband contract with BT 2 weeks ago.

I have had a discounted price for the last 3 years after calling and threatening to leave BT each time the 12 month contract expires.

Had I not called it would have gone up to their "normal" price of £25+ for the Broadband and £14 for phone line rental. That is for unlimited Broadband, with free evening and weekend calls and free 0870 and 0845 calls.

I got the broadband reduced from £25+ to £10 per month, and the line rental / free calls reduced from £14 month to £10 per month, by paying the years line rental of £120 in advance.

So effectively £20 a month for unlimited BB, line rental and evening / weekend and 0870 and 0845 calls.:thumb:

Callum

10. carry on then

carry on then Read Only Funster

the 'actual' service wont be Tesco, but some other already existing supplier who has done a deal with tesco