Terrible stench - advise needed (1 Viewer)

Sam

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
OK - Second trip in 2 weekends and the weather is unbelievably good :ROFLMAO:

My lovely MH has one problem I just cannot (as much as I would like to) ignore -

When I pull away and at a fairly random pattern the most disturbing aroma of eau de 'toilet' wafts through the MH. This is the case even when the waste tanks are empty.:Sad:

At first I blamed the kids, then the wife. After a sore chin I saw the light (literally:Eeek:). The smell comes up through the basin and shower waste outlets

Is this normal?? Are there are no U bends in a MH? Are there any tips on how to resolve this?

HELP

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Mix a cup of biological washing powder with water and pour it down the sink, it will cure the smell, do it once a week and you wont get a smell again.

Peter

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we had the same problem but only when the tank had 'stuff' in it and on the move.

half a cup of toilet cassette 'blue' fluid poured in the tank did the trick.

there probably will be inline traps fitted but they only work when full of water which is a problem when driving....it sloshes about and empties out.

dont forget the tank will never be fully empty due to the drain position...maybe 2 or 3 liters swilling about after emptying.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
We have found that by mainaining a positive pressure in the van we can avoid smells when on the move - or rather we discovered that if a vent was open and extracting air on the move this air was replaced by air drawn over the vents in the tanks giving a nasty niff.
So close all windows and draw fresh air in via the heater/demist vents and the smell is blown away. If you like driving with an elbow out the window then live with the smell!!
Enjoy.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I've read somewhere to buy the cheapest orange squosh and pour a little of it undiluted down the sink plug holes, something in the orange attacks the bacteria and leaves sinks smelling nice.

John.

Randonneur

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
4 years
I've read somewhere to buy the cheapest orange squosh and pour a little of it undiluted down the sink plug holes, something in the orange attacks the bacteria and leaves sinks smelling nice.

John.

Thats right, it was a tip in Practical Motorhome last year.

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Yes it is normal, remember to put the plugs in all the outlets (sinks, shower, etc) and you will not get the smell in the van, also flush he tank on a regular basis to minimise the smell. I also regularly tip Demestos down the tank.

Edgie

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
All those nasty chemicals :cry: US RV's have u bends and no smell and I never use chemical, can't be that hard to retro fit in a European unit.

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
yes its Normal, think its washing up liquid that cause's it, we find that if we wash up in a bowl and then dump the water we don't get the smell.

we also notice that it was less of a smell, if we use shower in the van as against a shower block

finally, the easiest solution to ridding yourself of the smell is to leave the waste drain open after dumping, job done, and cost nothing

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Sam
like past replies yes flush out, Detergent, Plugs in, Etc But the best tip we got was DONT empty your starchy water down the sink, Ie spuds, pasta etc as this is a no no. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back