Terrible stench - advise needed

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Sam, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Sam

Sam Read Only Funster

OK - Second trip in 2 weekends and the weather is unbelievably good :Rofl1:

My lovely MH has one problem I just cannot (as much as I would like to) ignore -

When I pull away and at a fairly random pattern the most disturbing aroma of eau de 'toilet' wafts through the MH. This is the case even when the waste tanks are empty.:Sad:

At first I blamed the kids, then the wife. After a sore chin I saw the light (literally:Eeek:). The smell comes up through the basin and shower waste outlets

Is this normal?? Are there are no U bends in a MH? Are there any tips on how to resolve this?

HELP

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Mix a cup of biological washing powder with water and pour it down the sink, it will cure the smell, do it once a week and you wont get a smell again.

Peter

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

we had the same problem but only when the tank had 'stuff' in it and on the move.

half a cup of toilet cassette 'blue' fluid poured in the tank did the trick.

there probably will be inline traps fitted but they only work when full of water which is a problem when driving....it sloshes about and empties out.

dont forget the tank will never be fully empty due to the drain position...maybe 2 or 3 liters swilling about after emptying.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  4. theresa

theresa Read Only Funster

we stuck a mixture of milton down ours , and we put the plugs in the sinks which will help stop any nasty smells . :Blush:

5. The Wallace

The Wallace Read Only Funster

We have found that by mainaining a positive pressure in the van we can avoid smells when on the move - or rather we discovered that if a vent was open and extracting air on the move this air was replaced by air drawn over the vents in the tanks giving a nasty niff.
    So close all windows and draw fresh air in via the heater/demist vents and the smell is blown away. If you like driving with an elbow out the window then live with the smell!!
    Enjoy.

6. Neckender

Neckender Funster

I've read somewhere to buy the cheapest orange squosh and pour a little of it undiluted down the sink plug holes, something in the orange attacks the bacteria and leaves sinks smelling nice.

John.

7. Randonneur

Randonneur Read Only Funster

Thats right, it was a tip in Practical Motorhome last year.

8. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

Yes it is normal, remember to put the plugs in all the outlets (sinks, shower, etc) and you will not get the smell in the van, also flush he tank on a regular basis to minimise the smell. I also regularly tip Demestos down the tank.

9. Edgie

Edgie Read Only Funster

All those nasty chemicals :cry: US RV's have u bends and no smell and I never use chemical, can't be that hard to retro fit in a European unit.

10. Blisters

Blisters Read Only Funster

yes its Normal, think its washing up liquid that cause's it, we find that if we wash up in a bowl and then dump the water we don't get the smell.

we also notice that it was less of a smell, if we use shower in the van as against a shower block

finally, the easiest solution to ridding yourself of the smell is to leave the waste drain open after dumping, job done, and cost nothing

11. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Sam
    like past replies yes flush out, Detergent, Plugs in, Etc But the best tip we got was DONT empty your starchy water down the sink, Ie spuds, pasta etc as this is a no no. Pete :thumb::thumb: