Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
We bought our first motorhome in 2009 but a family illness and subsequent bereavement meant that we were not able to use it. The MH was subsequently sold on as it seemed a waste having it sitting on the drive. I retired at the end of 2015 and decided to dip my toe in the water again. This time, after much deliberation we decided to be more tentative with our investment and were drawn to a Leisuredrive Vivante camper van, which we bought cheaply as spares of repair and then spent ÂŁ4000 on a thorough welding overhaul of the underside. Apparently, the "spares or repair" status was accurate! So far we have made one journey touring Wales and enjoyed the experience. Now planning another trip to Scotland. I am already thinking about an upgrade when my wife gives up working in a couple of years.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi and Welcome ,, did i read that right 4k on welding on the underside ??? , we they welding with gold :D

OP
OP
thIOM

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Hi Bart,

The ÂŁ4k of welding basically involved fabricating and welding large sections of the chassis, fabricating and welding new chassis outriggers, replacing all wheel arches, fabricating new jacking points, new cills, new front support member and undersealing the lot. Unfortunately the welding burnt off a lot of paint and the bottom half of the van was also resprayed. Fundamentally its a new van underneath. The owner of the body shop said he had never seen a Boxer chassis so far gone. No idea why it should have been so bad. 2001 reg. Once we started on it we had to finish. I paid little for it, so I don't suppose I will be out of pocket on resale. I am not worrying about it, too late for that.. Besides, nothing is got cheap on the Isle of Man.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Bart,

The ÂŁ4k of welding basically involved fabricating and welding large sections of the chassis, fabricating and welding new chassis outriggers, replacing all wheel arches, fabricating new jacking points, new cills, new front support member and undersealing the lot. Unfortunately the welding burnt off a lot of paint and the bottom half of the van was also resprayed. Fundamentally its a new van underneath. The owner of the body shop said he had never seen a Boxer chassis so far gone. No idea why it should have been so bad. 2001 reg. Once we started on it we had to finish. I paid little for it, so I don't suppose I will be out of pocket on resale. I am not worrying about it, too late for that.. Besides, nothing is got cheap on the Isle of Man.
and sure if you keep it for years you know it will last and there will be no holes in the bottom of her :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
image.gif

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Yes to the TT every year almost since the 70's plus Manx occasionally and sometimes out of season also.
A good friend of many years lives at Kirkmichael and we all stay with them and all marshal,mostly at Rhencullen.
Nice to have you on board,maybe can meet some time?

OP
OP
thIOM

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Yes to the TT every year almost since the 70's plus Manx occasionally and sometimes out of season also.
A good friend of many years lives at Kirkmichael and we all stay with them and all marshal,mostly at Rhencullen.
Nice to have you on board,maybe can meet some time?
I also marshal, at Glen Tramman. Used to head the team that delivers the TT but happily retired from all that now.

OP
OP
thIOM

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Welcome to the forum from another Manxie yessir!

Craig
You and I are acquainted Craig. Trevor H if you had not worked it out. My camper is about a 10th the size of the monster RV you had. But size is not everything....

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome enjoy your lovely van and have great holidays in her.:WelcomeFlag:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
You and I are acquainted Craig. Trevor H if you had not worked it out. My camper is about a 10th the size of the monster RV you had. But size is not everything....
Well blow me down! You dark horse! Anyway I haven't got a motorhome of any sort at the moment, still looking. Hope you really enjoy your wheels, and will see you around soon.

Craig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back