tempted to sell

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by paulus the woodgnome, Jul 1, 2012.

1. paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome Read Only Funster

could have paid my mortgage off today if hadn't brought my motorhome
    emma will be leaving home next year after finishing uni
    could sell my motorhome and pay mortgage off and have some money in the bank and then go on cheap deal holidays just me and di out side of school holidays
    by the time i pay my storage fees mot tax insurence breakdown cover habitation service and repair bills could pay for a few weeks away to distant shores with no mortgage either
    very tempting what with judder problems (now resolved) service companies leaving engine oil covers off 4th gear problems and other problems and maintanece costs at this moment in time it is a very tempting thing to do

poll what would you do

2. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

I can see the attraction. My sister recently lost her static in Wales, due to flooding, and has calculated that they can have some great weekends and holidays for the cost of going up and down to the static. However, since we are just having our upholstery re-upholstered, I am committed for the near future. :BigGrin: One trouble for us is that we can't carry heavy suitcases now and it is so much easier to just take everything straight from the house and into the van. :BigGrin:

Ivy

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Sell the motorhome.
    pay off the mortgage
    sell the house.
    buy an RV
    go full time.

easy innit ? :Laughing:

• Like Like x 10
  4. paulus the woodgnome

would love to but we both have work commitments and need money to live only 51 and can't retire yet so not so easy

5. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Sell the Motorhome - but only when the interest rates go up.

Mortgages are cheap as chips at the moment:thumb:

6. paulus the woodgnome

idea then sell the motorhome pay off mortgage and then use the remaining money to get a cheap mortgage on a property and then rent out to students etc making money rather than losing it on depreciation :thumb:

for sale one motorhome

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Sell.

Seems the logical solution for you.

8. paulus the woodgnome

are you mad no more trips up the swiss mountains or down to venice over the dolomites having lunch at the top of mountains:Eek!:

9. buttons

buttons Funster

Sell, keep the mortgage and get yourself a VW, No storage cost very cheap to run and maintain, get rid of the car as the VW will perform every task you use your car for. Yet you will still have a high speed luxury mode of transport that you can use to have dinner on whichever mountain top you fancy. I did it when my kids flew the nest and never looked back.:hardhat:

10. acting_strange

acting_strange

And just where are mortgages cheap as chips at the moment???

My daughter is easily earning enough money to pay a mortgage but she can't get one do to the heavy deposit required...

Please don't make things out to be easier than they really are....it's awfull for new couples nowadays...thanks to the greed of the bankers etc...

11. paulus the woodgnome

thanks for that but brought a touran from vw they changed the cambelt and three weeks later the pulley system collapsed as they had tightend one of the bolts too much and it snapped leaving only one to hold it on until it collapsed had to get local garage to drill it out and fix it had to argue for three years with them to get the abs unit fixed only done after don't get done get dom program sorted it out for vw customers they tried to get away with not fixing a manufacturing fault which would have cost 1400 pounds and they still wouldn't fix my door that dropped due to the spot welds rusting and my neighbour and myself had to fix a second hand one on but they said it was caused by the wind (oh come on )and only a 54 reg so vw a no go on customer service and maintenance never buy one again for what the car cost me but thanks for your reply i know you were only trying to help:thumb:

12. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

I think Treacle meant that they are cheap as chips if you already have one , interest rate wise. Not if you were starting out.
    I may be wrong.
    Id do the same as him too. Depending if there were any penalties involved in doing so.

• Like Like x 1
  13. buttons

buttons Funster

I can only speak as I find, now on my third without a hitch. There are other similar campers not VW but the concept of small go anywhere camping gives a whole new approach to camping that suits some.:thumb:

14. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

All down to retirement planning. You don't want to retire with a mortgage otherwise you won't be able to afford anything. Motorhomes are really only worthwhile if you can afford the time to use them a reasonable amount so you need to be retired. We are just returning from France/Spain where we have been a month. Have to go home for a few weeks then hopefully off again, depending on whether I get called for my op (ablation). While at home we will get new awning fitted as ours is beyond repair and reupholstered. :Smile:

15. Chris

The OP has an existing mortgage. Interest rates are very low. I am paying 1.99% over Base. That's cheap as chips.

I appreciate it is not easy to get a mortgage at the moment but the thread wasn't about that

16. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Wow your getting ripped off :Rofl1:

0.5 % over the boe base rate, and 3 years to go:Eeek:

Paul don't sell you will regret it... You should have more time on your own now daughter leaves home :thumb:

17. Chris

Maybe but that's my permanent rate with no penalty for early repayment from the start.:thumb:

18. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

its all right to sell but are all the full timers retired or do they have to work as well? we have looked at it but would need a small income as well. cheers colyn

19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If you want to retire 'early', you have to plan for it - we had been planning and saving specifically for this purpose for nearly 10 years to be able to do it - hubby was 52 when he retired 2.5 yrs ago, I retired last Christmas at 48.

FWIW - for mortgages, don't pay them off if you have other debts/loans, pay them off first if you have spare cash as they are likely to be at a higher interest rate than your mortgage, then pay off your mortgage with the remaining cash rather than putting it into a savings account of some sort which will normally give a lot less interest that you are paying out for your mortgage payment.

Our mortgage is a tracker at 0.74% above base and we've got at least 10 years at this 'rate' left to go!!! :thumb: Also, we have tenants in a property we bought with the mortgage and we are currently getting over £300 a month clear 'profit' on the rent (although it wasn't always like that of course!).:RollEyes: Oh, and no early repayment/overpayment penalties at all!

20. acting_strange

acting_strange

Ok...sorry...misread....:Blush: