Temporary European insurance

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Bouggie, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Bouggie

Bouggie Read Only Funster

I am buying a motorhome in France and planning to collect it, take three weeks holiday with it and return home to Jersey after my holiday, where I will have the lights etc modified for UK driving and a Jersey registration number issued after inspection by our local DVLS. My problem is that whilst I can get insurance for a day in Jersey allowing me to bring it in, I cannot get it insured properly until it has been registered by our DVLS. Does anyone know of an insurance company that will cover me for three weeks in France driving the vehicle on European plates? I'm supposed to pick it up in a fortnight and am starting to get a little desperate!! Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

I'm not aware of an english insurance company that will cover you on foreign plates.

Safeguard will cover the VIN number of your vehicle for 30 days while you get it registered and then insure it on its UK plate, but this insurance only begins when you exit the ferry in Dover.

The Germans are very efficient at this, being as they produce so many cars, and you can easily obtain "Ausfuhrkennzeichen" plates (export plates) which come with the minimum level of third party insurance. I suspect there many be a French equivalent given that France also produces new cars.

I'd be interested in the outcome as by chance, I'm also looking at a privately owned french registered motorhome but had in part written it off as it just looks a bit of a nightmare!

3. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

yes right about the Germans

You are right about the Germans.. it covered three weeks and the German motor home dealer can arrange it... not sure of a French one... Safeguard insured our RV on the chassis number until we got it registered. Easy...

Bob:Blush:

4. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

Not sure about France
    I flew out to Berlin and purchased a MH in Munchen it had to have german plates and insurance the dealer arranged this for us through TUF
    that gave me two weeks to drive home to UK on German plates and insurance.
    once in UK it had to be inspected at DVLA and UK plates given

maybe the seller in France can arrange insurance for you
    I sold my Mercedes Motorhome to an Australian in 2010.
    he paid for it and i arranged insurance for him that he paid
    so there may be a way for you to do it
    if you do not ask you do not get good luck

5. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

You could try talking to my insurance company in France. Everyone speaks English (although they will answer phone in French) They are very helpful.

Bruno Sellier Cognac. Just Google for all their details.

Good Luck.