Tell us about your Insurance Claim (1 Viewer)

Insurance Claim Questions

• I have never made a claim on my motorhome policy

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • I have made a claim (please tell us about it )

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • I have up to 5 years no claims

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • I have more than 10 years no claims

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We often compare premium prices, but insurance companies should be judged on the way they deal with a claim. I would guess that motorhomers are probably some of the safest drivers in the country, most have years of driving experience which must count for a lot. We rarely here stories here about claims made. Recently there are many stories about premiums going up, is that because of claims. Have you made a claim? How was it handled?

Never made a claim? Not claimed on a MH policy for x years? How many?

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Some of you may be aware that back in 2007 that our first motorhome a Bessacarr E435 was written off with under 300 mls on the clock, our insurer Caravan Guard were superb and replaced it with a new Bessie on the X250 fiat chassis which cost £3000 more than I paid for the original.

The accident occurred due to the other driver being unconscious due to an epileptic fit and running into our rear end at 80 MPH which resulted in a 3 vehicle collision, our insurer was unable to claim against the other party as they would have not been able to prove negligence and I lost my no claims bonus, access and sundry associated costs.

I did take legal advice from various sources but they all said it would be a waste of time persuing it.

At least everyone walked away from it.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
We had a claim with Caravan Guard and must say it was dealt with in a most efficient and professional way.
The fault was mine as I caught a van while exiting a woodland parking place, the van came down a tree lined track and I did not see him and started to pull out, catching his rear corner, as he passed.
Caravan Guard dealt with the matter over the phone, no forms to fill in, they could not have been better.
I only had mild scratches on my front bumper, nothing required doing only a little T cutting, the other van had a damaged rear corner panel.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Our VW Kamper was stolen in Rome a few years ago. Can't remember the name of the insurance company, but they paid out exactly (even after excess deduction) what we'd paid for the Kamper 2 years previously......:thumb:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We had our Safari Room and Omnistor 5000 Awning ripped off is a very strong wind. It damaged the Status antenna. All of this was replaced by our insurance with no problems. New Omnistor 8000 Awning and Safari Room to match and Status fitted.

However I had had an 85cm Oyster Dish installed and didn't inform the insurance, so that was not covered for the damage to the snapped drive shaft.

My insurance is with Comfort.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Damage the awning rail on my caravan when motor mover playing up and £512 bill, after sending bill and claim form off to C & CC Insurance go ahead given in 3 days:thumb:

I was extremely impressed.

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Made a claim in 2007 with caravan guard.A driver in spain hit the side of us and caused quite extensive damage.Got back to uk and they sorted very quickly.Only thing is my premiums went sky high so i switched and got cover else where for less than half the price.
Dave

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
Hit a concrete bollard at a tollbooth in Austria last year! Damage estimated at £3000. Autotrail did a magnificent repair and Comfort Insurance paid up without any hesitation.
Claim coincided with end of insurance period and when I contacted Comfort they suggested an increase of £31 on my annual premium. I was quite happy with that.

Ian

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Some of you may be aware that back in 2007 that our first motorhome a Bessacarr E435 was written off with under 300 mls on the clock, our insurer Caravan Guard were superb and replaced it with a new Bessie on the X250 fiat chassis which cost £3000 more than I paid for the original.

The accident occurred due to the other driver being unconscious due to an epileptic fit and running into our rear end at 80 MPH which resulted in a 3 vehicle collision, our insurer was unable to claim against the other party as they would have not been able to prove negligence and I lost my no claims bonus, access and sundry associated costs.

I did take legal advice from various sources but they all said it would be a waste of time persuing it.

At least everyone walked away from it.

I remember it well Dane. Did your premium jump afterward?

We had a bike rack come off and smash the back window. I was going to claim for body work damage but fixed it myself, and claimed for a back window. They cleverly done it on the windscreen part of the policy, allowed me to find a window manufacturer for arquilic (SP) windows for caravans (whom were excellent) and paid the £330 on my behalf. Only initial problem was trying to explain to them that Autoglass would not be able to fix the rear window.
no increase in premium and no excess charge.:thumb:

We are with Safeguard

Pete45

Free Member
Jan 29, 2009
Milton Keynes Bucks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Had 2 RV from 2003
Our 1st motor home was a classic coachman it was insuranced with nig. We had it on classic insurance which gave us a valuation cert.

We were on our way to family when we had a call from our neighbours to say the RV was on fire. Theft & Arson crime.:shout:

Heartbroken we called the insurance company who took over everything, the RV was taken to a police compound and we were not allowed near it.

The insurance company rang and said that we could go and take whatever we wanted from it and the cheque would arrive (- £100 excess) shortly.

From the fire to the payout it only took 4weeks.:thumb::thumb:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
In Nov 2009 we were involved in an injury / slight damage RTA or are they called RTC these days when whilst stationary at a roundabout waiting for the traffic to move forward a woman ran into the back of us giving the wife a genuine neck injury.

Our vehicle damage was dealt with within a month or two, the injury and claim are still ongoing. :Sad:

We renewed our insurance since and with the same company and obviously as we were totally blameless our premium was not effected.

mick

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Good outcome

I had my 1995 Symphony pinched from outside my house in Aug 2009, and Saga paid out more than I paid for it the previous year. OK, I bought from a friend so got a good deal, but Saga decided to search the web to find out what similar vans were going for, and paid me out £3k more. I thought that was good, however, they didn't pay up enough on the contents so in the end I broke just slightly more than even.

However since then I have left Saga because I now park it up in a friend's drive where it is more easily supervised and they wanted £300 more to insure it, so have moved to Safeguard.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
boy racer ran in to the rear driver side wile parked on road .saga had a loan car out side home within a hour even though i did not want one.they could not find a repairer within 100miles of me .phoned my local fiat dealer there body shop could fix it .the insurance company thought all motor-homes were the same ,mine is a panel van .
it was up to me to sort out repairer in the end .then fiat body shop wanted me to have there loan car .two cars now :Doh: stoneacre doncaster did a very good job.
insurance went up from £270 to £420. moved to safeguard .:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
LOL at dshague - after an attempted break-in whilst parked up in Preston Park Brighton (near the CC site; they were full) Pete had to explain to RSA why the Fiat garage could replace the glass in the cab passenger door but they couldn't replace the damaged habitation door for us. The engineer however did understand perfectly! LOL

:ROFLMAO:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Not only have I never made a claim on the MH policy (Except warranty claims) but I have never made a claim on any vehicle for 50 years. I have made 1 claim and that was on a motorcycle and the fault was not mine.

By now the insurance companies should be paying me!!!

Doug...

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Well, our early years in the MH turned out to be a bit unlucky, whilst insured with Equity Red Star on their Classic vehicle policy. However, none of this bad luck was down to either FIAT or HYMER product failings.

No1...Nov 2006.
Whilst fast asleep on a camp site in Worksop, a "totally" drunk driver (long term resident) reversed into the rear corner of our MH, causing us to badly stain our bedding.....................................almost.
Because he hit the strongest part of the MH, our damage wasn't major, but due to the length of side skirt, and damaged table tops requiring replacement, (due to stuff falling out of the upper lockers) being shipped in from Germany, the costs for supply and repair were quite high. Matey's Vauxhaul Vectra was a write off due to the force of the impact. Although arrested, he got off with the incident due to it happening on private property. He then declared himself bankrupt, and we lost our excess, and a life on the NCB. :Angry:

No2...September 2007.
Whilst carrying out a three point turn in Namur, Belgium, I couldn't see a cut down 9" metal and concrete post from the driver's seat, (nor did Rita, who was outside guiding me back), and when pulling forward, I inadvertently drove into it, causing damage to the base of the engine, the oil filter housing, oil cooler, and front cross member. :whatthe: Own fault without a doubt, and another excess and life lost on the NCB :Doh:
To cut a long story short, eventual recovery to the UK, followed by months of agonising waiting for A & S of Sheffield to fit a new engine. After many weeks and phone calls etc, chasing up the insurers, who had been duped by A & S, we eventually took receipt of our MH.

No3...March/April 2008
Having called into Mimizan Plage to visit Scotjimland (Jim, Jan & Charlotte), we headed off for Montpellier. A few miles from Toulouse...........the new camshaft belt on that new engine broke. ENDEX. :cry::cry::cry:
Equity Red Star management informed, and investigations in the UK commence. Meanwhile, Britannia Rescue look after us this time as it is a breakdown, (truly excellent service), and we are home within a couple of days. We book flights and accommodation for Portugal and shoot off to try and salvage something of a holiday. MH is repatriated within the 21 day forecast, and taken to Peterborough, (not Sheffield) at my insistence. Investigations by independent loss adjuster and ERS's Chief Engineer, reveal that A & S of Sheffield, had either fitted a recon engine using worn parts, or installed a donor engine from A N Other vehicle, and charged ERS for new. Obviously a scam job. :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

End result? we get our MH back on the road in May 2008, with a brand spanking new engine, all our flights, taxis, car hire, and other expenditure related to the Portugal trip reimbursed, along with an ex gratia "good will" payment, (a pittance really, considering all the grief). :Sad:
ERS's Senior Customer Services manager, informed us that A & S would not only be responsible for all engineering costings including Ford & Slater's (Fiat Commercial Agent), labour charges, but also for the full recovery of us and our MH from Toulouse, and all our holiday expenditure. Approximately £10,000 in total, with pending court action against them, and no future work commissioned to them, on behalf of ERS or their sister companies. A good result in the end. :thumb:

Verdict........

Equity Red Star = Good service, (but only after me initially alerting CEO to underhanded customer service by their chosen repairers, on both occasions). 1 x life on the NCB reinstated.
No longer with ERS though, as their premiums nearly doubled. :ROFLMAO:

Britannia Rescue = Absolute tops for service and efficiency, and still with them annually. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Sorry for the lengthy reply.

Jock & Rita.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Don't apologise - darn good read and nice to know that some insurers are interested in what their customers tell them! Hurrah for good ole Lloyd's !

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Our first Motorhome a Kontiki was stolen from outside our house. We were with Safeguard and 6 weeks after the theft they paid up what we had paid for the van minus the excess. Very good service from them.

Sonja

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back