Tell me your experience of going alone

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mimi, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Mimi

Mimi Funster

Hello,

I am new to this website and would like to know of other motorhome users who have been in the same situation.

Now finding myself single again (long story) I would seriously like to buy a motorhome. Previously we (the past tense) had a caravan for many years and the changed to a motorhome, I absolutely loved motorhoming. I am a female and I would love to own an Autocruise Starburst, this is one we owned previously.

I have looked on the Caravan Club site for motorhome courses and found that it's a chicken and egg situation, you have to go to the course in your motorhome.

I have been driving for many years on motorways so I do not find that a problem, my worry is will I be able to drive a motorhome with confidence?

Thanks for reading my post. I look forward to the replies.

2. MikeD

MikeD Funster

3. Mimi

Mimi Funster

Thank you Mike, I have saved the link. Still need to get the motorhome first.
    Regards

4. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

I think you'll be fine it's just a confidence thing , my mother only passed her test at age 55 and vowed she would never drive anything bigger than her Nissan micra and rarely drove outside our local town

My mum and dad had motorhomes for over 10 years sadly my dad passed away a few years after my mum started driving and she was left with the choice of stopping motor homing or drive it herself ..she thankfully took the second option and drove a 26 ft van for years after and at age 71 she still takes turns driving my sisters liaka when they're touring :)

Long winded story lol but I think once you get used to it you'll be fine

• Like Like x 4
  5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

No problem, if you can drive a car you can drive a MH.

Don't be silly and pick the Lakes for you first journey, build your confidence on normal roads.

Go hire a big van if you want a try.

• Like Like x 1
  6. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Just take your time and you will grow in confidence the more you use it. My mums a young 73 and drives the MH forward no problem. Her other vehicle is a fiat 500.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Debs

Debs Funster

Hi & welcome Mimi
    I'm not single and we're still at the caravan stage but looking at changing. I fully intend to drive the moho solo as oh has a motorbike which I don't go on and we will be able to meet up.

There are singlies on here, I 'm sure they'll be along soon.

I just wanted to say - go for it, at least you have had some previous experience:welc:

Deb

• Like Like x 1
  8. movan

movan Funster Life Member

You will be fine. I drive mine and I am solo traveller.

The only pointer you need is to remember that motorhomes are usually longer than cars ... so when turning corners remember that. Don't follow the kerb round when turning left ... start the turn further out to the right to allow for the back end of the van to get round the corner without going on the kerb. Right hand bends give yourself room to do a perfect right angle type turn.... Nothing else will matter ... oh don't pull out at roundabouts when not much room as you won't have the power if you are used to a sports car.

Look forward to seeing you at a meet... Practise on a car park first if it makes you feel better but you won't need it.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Mimi

Mimi Funster

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.
    Do you suggest I hire first?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Geordies

Geordies Funster

Nothing wrong with hiring a van, but we'd suggest that as your a solo female why not try and arrange the van hire to also go to a meet from this site, then you'll have people around you who will look out for you and maybe give advice about which dealers to look at etc.

• Like Like x 6
  11. MikeD

MikeD Funster

upload_2014-8-5_20-27-50.jpeg

A motorhome like this is just a little wider and longer than a Ford Mondeo.

All modern motorhomes drive just like a car.

Just a little bigger in every dimension.

It is worth having a good look round. Have a look at the meeting/rally section on the forum. If one is near where you live, pop by, introduce yourself and say hello.

I have never met a motorhomer who does not want to show his van off. It would give you an idea of sizes, layouts etc. :)

• Like Like x 4
  12. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Don't know what your financial situation is, but I wouldn't hire. The money you spend on that could go on your new van.... Is there a meet or a show near you and if so go along in your car, come and introduce yourself to us and look at our vans. As Mike above says people love showing you round their vans.... well, I don't cos people never come when I have just tidied up only when it is upside down... !!!!!!!

• Like Like x 11
  13. Mimi

Mimi Funster

Thanks again.

I know what I would like an Autocruise Starburst, I keep looking on Autotrader. If I found one with low mileage and not too late a reg. I would take my brother along to advise as he has been m/hing for many years.

• Like Like x 4
  14. maz

maz Funster

Starburst is one of the shorter motorhomes with no rear overhang to speak of - should be fairly easy to drive. Just use your mirrors to keep an eye on the back end until you get used to it. Have fun! :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome to the fun, first off forget you are female, there is no difference when it comes to driving, just jump in and enjoy yourself. Everyone has a settling in period unless they have been driving bigger vehicles before. There are a number of solo females, they mix in with the rest of us and are as welcome as couples. If wilding just remember once the curtains/blinds are drawn no one knows who is inside. Male/female dwarf or Giant.

• Like Like x 3
  16. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

:clap2:OI Bloody Giant? You may offend JJ:imoutahere:

or :france:

• Like Like x 3
  17. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Where is Peter (aka Mr Johns Cross Motorcaravans & Camping Centre) when you need him?

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/autocruise-starfire-motorhome.html

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/autocruise-starfire-motorhome-2011-model.html

Hiring is expensive, but most dealers who both hire & sell will do a deal whereby the hire cost can be set off against the final purchase price if you go on to buy. Of course, it probably means that you won't be able to negotiate the same discount as if you just walked in & said "I'll have that one please", but worth considering if the overall deal looks right.

No idea where you are, but it's worth travelling quite a long way for the right van at the right dealer. The feedback on here is that JC are the right dealer. (y)

As others have said, driving a modern sub-6m van is not much different to a large estate car. In many ways it's easier. You sit high up, so the visibility is better. Size can be an advantage - you'd be surprised how people just get out of the way!

18. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Plenty of good advice on here, you know what you want, take your Brother along to look at one and by the time you have had a test drive you will wonder what you have been worrying about, forget hiring as you know you want a motorhome and you know what you want.

Just do it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

I wouldn't hire one either firstly it's expensive and depending what you hire it could have an adverse effect......also if worst happened and you damaged it ££££

If there's a few dealers near you'd I'd go along and ones you like ask for a test drive if they know your genuinely interested in buying few dealers will refuse multiple test drives of different size vans ......i took 4 out in a row from Perth shire motor caravans once.

That way you'll get an idea of different size vans with no expense

20. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi I would go and look at as many vans as you can about the same size as the STARFIRE -That way you will know which you want.
    Hire one by all means because if you get it wrong it can be a expensive mistake -nothing like spending a few nights away to make your mind up on what you want (y)or don't want :DTRY putting up beds etc and imagine it's peeing it down ,how comfy is the van for lounging ?Alls well when the sun's out because you will be out also -Rain different thing all together :)
    terry

• Like Like x 1