Tell me your experience of going alone (1 Viewer)

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Hello,

I am new to this website and would like to know of other motorhome users who have been in the same situation.

Now finding myself single again (long story) I would seriously like to buy a motorhome. Previously we (the past tense) had a caravan for many years and the changed to a motorhome, I absolutely loved motorhoming. I am a female and I would love to own an Autocruise Starburst, this is one we owned previously.

I have looked on the Caravan Club site for motorhome courses and found that it's a chicken and egg situation, you have to go to the course in your motorhome.

I have been driving for many years on motorways so I do not find that a problem, my worry is will I be able to drive a motorhome with confidence?

Thanks for reading my post. I look forward to the replies.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Welcome to the fun.

I am not single and travel with my wife but I thought you might like to know there is a solo travellers section.

Have a look at:
Broken Link Removed

(y)(y)

OP
OP
Mimi

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you Mike, I have saved the link. Still need to get the motorhome first.
Regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I think you'll be fine it's just a confidence thing , my mother only passed her test at age 55 and vowed she would never drive anything bigger than her Nissan micra and rarely drove outside our local town

My mum and dad had motorhomes for over 10 years sadly my dad passed away a few years after my mum started driving and she was left with the choice of stopping motor homing or drive it herself ..she thankfully took the second option and drove a 26 ft van for years after and at age 71 she still takes turns driving my sisters liaka when they're touring :)

Long winded story lol but I think once you get used to it you'll be fine

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
my worry is will I be able to drive a motorhome with confidence?

No problem, if you can drive a car you can drive a MH.

Don't be silly and pick the Lakes for you first journey, build your confidence on normal roads.

Go hire a big van if you want a try.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Just take your time and you will grow in confidence the more you use it. My mums a young 73 and drives the MH forward no problem. Her other vehicle is a fiat 500.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi & welcome Mimi
I'm not single and we're still at the caravan stage but looking at changing. I fully intend to drive the moho solo as oh has a motorbike which I don't go on and we will be able to meet up.

There are singlies on here, I 'm sure they'll be along soon.

I just wanted to say - go for it, at least you have had some previous experience:welc:

Deb

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
You will be fine. I drive mine and I am solo traveller.

The only pointer you need is to remember that motorhomes are usually longer than cars ... so when turning corners remember that. Don't follow the kerb round when turning left ... start the turn further out to the right to allow for the back end of the van to get round the corner without going on the kerb. Right hand bends give yourself room to do a perfect right angle type turn.... Nothing else will matter ... oh don't pull out at roundabouts when not much room as you won't have the power if you are used to a sports car.

Look forward to seeing you at a meet... Practise on a car park first if it makes you feel better but you won't need it.

OP
OP
Mimi

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.
Do you suggest I hire first?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Nothing wrong with hiring a van, but we'd suggest that as your a solo female why not try and arrange the van hire to also go to a meet from this site, then you'll have people around you who will look out for you and maybe give advice about which dealers to look at etc.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
upload_2014-8-5_20-27-50.jpeg

A motorhome like this is just a little wider and longer than a Ford Mondeo.

All modern motorhomes drive just like a car.

Just a little bigger in every dimension.

It is worth having a good look round. Have a look at the meeting/rally section on the forum. If one is near where you live, pop by, introduce yourself and say hello.

I have never met a motorhomer who does not want to show his van off. It would give you an idea of sizes, layouts etc. :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Don't know what your financial situation is, but I wouldn't hire. The money you spend on that could go on your new van.... Is there a meet or a show near you and if so go along in your car, come and introduce yourself to us and look at our vans. As Mike above says people love showing you round their vans.... well, I don't cos people never come when I have just tidied up only when it is upside down... !!!!!!!

OP
OP
Mimi

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks again.

I know what I would like an Autocruise Starburst, I keep looking on Autotrader. If I found one with low mileage and not too late a reg. I would take my brother along to advise as he has been m/hing for many years.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I am a female and I would love to own an Autocruise Starburst, this is one we owned previously.

I have looked on the Caravan Club site for motorhome courses and found that it's a chicken and egg situation, you have to go to the course in your motorhome.

I have been driving for many years on motorways so I do not find that a problem, my worry is will I be able to drive a motorhome with confidence?

Starburst is one of the shorter motorhomes with no rear overhang to speak of - should be fairly easy to drive. Just use your mirrors to keep an eye on the back end until you get used to it. Have fun! ::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun, first off forget you are female, there is no difference when it comes to driving, just jump in and enjoy yourself. Everyone has a settling in period unless they have been driving bigger vehicles before. There are a number of solo females, they mix in with the rest of us and are as welcome as couples. If wilding just remember once the curtains/blinds are drawn no one knows who is inside. Male/female dwarf or Giant.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Where is Peter (aka Mr Johns Cross Motorcaravans & Camping Centre) when you need him?

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/autocruise-starfire-motorhome.html

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/autocruise-starfire-motorhome-2011-model.html

Hiring is expensive, but most dealers who both hire & sell will do a deal whereby the hire cost can be set off against the final purchase price if you go on to buy. Of course, it probably means that you won't be able to negotiate the same discount as if you just walked in & said "I'll have that one please", but worth considering if the overall deal looks right.

No idea where you are, but it's worth travelling quite a long way for the right van at the right dealer. The feedback on here is that JC are the right dealer. (y)

As others have said, driving a modern sub-6m van is not much different to a large estate car. In many ways it's easier. You sit high up, so the visibility is better. Size can be an advantage - you'd be surprised how people just get out of the way!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Plenty of good advice on here, you know what you want, take your Brother along to look at one and by the time you have had a test drive you will wonder what you have been worrying about, forget hiring as you know you want a motorhome and you know what you want.

Just do it.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.
Do you suggest I hire first?
I wouldn't hire one either firstly it's expensive and depending what you hire it could have an adverse effect......also if worst happened and you damaged it ££££

If there's a few dealers near you'd I'd go along and ones you like ask for a test drive if they know your genuinely interested in buying few dealers will refuse multiple test drives of different size vans ......i took 4 out in a row from Perth shire motor caravans once.

That way you'll get an idea of different size vans with no expense

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I would go and look at as many vans as you can about the same size as the STARFIRE -That way you will know which you want.
Hire one by all means because if you get it wrong it can be a expensive mistake -nothing like spending a few nights away to make your mind up on what you want (y)or don't want :DTRY putting up beds etc and imagine it's peeing it down ,how comfy is the van for lounging ?Alls well when the sun's out because you will be out also -Rain different thing all together :)
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, you could have a word with a local hgc school . i,m sure many have biggish vans that they use and may spend a couple of days with you . shouldnt be too much money and can help you gain the confidence your looking for . after all the instructors are used to bigger vehicles and folk making a mess of driving them . you probably wont . but gotta be worth a couple days training .

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
My late wife preferred driving the MH to the car as she could see more as she was higher up and soon mastered backing down the narrow drive to within mm of the kerb so the house garage door would open. Like lots of things in life, the hardest thing to do is to take the first step - after that, you wonder what you fussed about!

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
Mimi

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Some great advice from all and a real confidence booster to here that others have mastered the art of a motorhome.
My sincere thanks, I will let you know in due course any progress.

OP
OP
Mimi

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Oops! should be hear not here.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Don't apologise - we all make spelling/grammar mistakes

You can edit your own post/reply for ages after anyway (y)(y)

............. but you don't have to

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
the first van is normally a starter van, so try not to spend too much money on it.
After a while, when you have used it and built up your confidence using it, you would have more of an idea of what you like and dislike with your van.

Go and look at as many as you can. Try and take someone with you who know whats what, and can haggle on the price.
give it a few weeks, and the prices drop thousands at the end of the season, and if your not happy,
walk away!!

Happy shopping, Sue

Jun 1, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Micro campervan
Exp
Since 2012
I was absolutely petrified the first time I drove my van away from the dealer's but it was my dream to own my own van so 'feel the fear and do it anyway'. Two years on and I love driving and going away in my van. My biggest learning experience was the much greater braking distance needed so I drive my van with a greater anticipation of the road ahead. Go for it!

lilac lill

Free Member
Sep 15, 2012
Worksop
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt - I think!
Exp
Since 01/09/12
Hi Mimi and welcome :welc:

I am a lone female traveller also - albeit with 2 dogs usually.
I have gained so much from all the help and advice on the site and at rallies and meets. My 'starter van' is Madge (my avatar pic) who is 26yrs old, a bit of a lump - but I luffs her.! ::bigsmile:
Don't think about the what if's, if you can drive a car, you can drive a M/H.... although Madge doesn't have power steering, so I am usually found swearing doing a 57 point turn if I go wrong.! :madder: ::bigsmile:
You know what you want - so go for it.
You will get lots of help from the guys on here, and even more if you attend a meet - as well as lots of FUN.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
I'm not being sexist but when I started motorhoming I was surprised at the number of females that I saw driving motorhomes of all sizes so don't be scared to give it a go.
I noticed in one of your posts that your brother is a motorhomes so maybe he can let you drive his somewhere nice a quiet first

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Hi Mimi,
As others have already said, firstly, Welcome to Fun,.........
Re the 'first drive' in 'your Mh, (ok I know you are still looking at the mo), most modern van 's drive like cars now...........yes, the older ones are less so, like Debbie (Lilac lill) neither of my Mh's have power steering; but tbh while in motion it's not a problem.
Easiest and maybe's the most social way to look at differing vans/layouts is to come along to a meet, I see your Essex,......there is a meet in kent soon, which may not be too far away from you, with the bonus of a great fish n chip shop in the town the meet is being held in, (New Romney)

Anyways, all the best in your search, any questions, etc, just ask..........:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back