Tell me about EBERSPACHER heaters (1 Viewer)

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I haven't read through this entire thread but I can give some direct input John as today I removed a Webasto 2KW diesel fired heater from a 9 metre Dethleffs Tag axle motorhome and replaced it with a 4KW Eberspacher unit. The customer asked me to fit the Webasto unit about 3-4 years ago and it has been in fairly regular use ever since. The customer wanted the diesel fired unit fitting as a supplement to the factroy fitted Alde system as it took too long to warm the van up. He now tells me that the Webasto unit was much cheaper to run on red diesel than the Alde system was to run on gas although I only have his word on that with no actual figures.

What I can tell you is that the exhaust of the Webasto fell apart about six inches from the unit as soon as I started removing it which suggests that some chemicals are present in the exhaust gases which can eat stainless steel over time. Both the Webasto and the new Eberspacher units are quite noisy in operation despite the Eberspacher having aover a metre of exhaust with a silencer in it. Heat wise the Ebby raised the internal temp of this van from 6 deg C to 20 deg C in about 30 mins so its pretty good for fast heating. Obviously how the Ebby will perform on red diesel is yet to be confirmed.

Hope this helps.

D.
I assume you fitted a D4 they are very good and easy to work on. I have fitted loads into the ambulance patient transport vehicles we built, the most common problem we have had with these is overheating down to numpties covering the outlets with various equipment this can become a problem as, if the heater overheats more than three times it can lock out and will then only run for five minutes before cutting out, at this stage you need a bit of equipment to clear the fault codes to get it running again. As for the exhaust on the webasto you mentioned this is actually pretty common on most of the heaters such as webasto,eberspacher and the mikuni's I come across after plenty of use, always seems to be at or near the first bend in the pipe especialy if very near to the heater outlet. The silencer in the exhaust is reasonable but the most effective method of quitening down the heaters is to put a muffler on the combustion air intake as I demonstrated to Jaws today on a Mikuni MY30

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back