Tell me about awnings

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by jimothy, May 11, 2012.

1. jimothy

jimothy Read Only Funster

The one thing I feel is missing off my van is an awning.

I know nothing about them. I think the type I'm after is a wind-out one? Don't want the full back and sides jobbie, just a nice little canopy to sit under enjoying a nice cup of tea (or more likely a space that my brother will want to park his race car under to work on it).

I have seen a Fiamma F45+, 3m, advertised secondhand, which is not far from me.

Many questions: is 3m the length of the roller bit? or the length is extends out? Is an F45 suitable for my Machzone? Any other types I should look at?

How do they attach? Can I DIY it?

and how much roughly should I be paying for a used awning in good nic?

And any other things I should know about??

Thankyou all

Jamie.

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Hi Jamie
    The size quoted on any awnings is ie 3-4-4.5 etc is usualy the legnth (The Roller Bit) they all extend out from the motor home aprox 2.5 meters unless stated otherwise (Rare)

Yes its a DIY fit if you ave the confidence to drill and seal the mounting points, normaly chose to fit inside cupboards out of site but where they have to be seen are covered in a neat plastic cap, simple measure drill and nut and bolt job the secret as always is measure twice drill/cut one and make sure its sealed.
    Only problem with second hand units, they may have been wind damaged or twisted, or difficult to stow away due to misalignment, faults not easy to find when its already removed from a van, and wont show uo till its re mounted
    By as new looking as possible ask why its no longer needed, i the excuse is I fancied achange ,think again

Purchase price will depend on condition and reason for sale price up a new one and go roughly 1/2 to 2/3 of that price, make sure you get all mounting kit and wind up handle with it, those few bits new can set you back £70-£90
    Geo
    PS yes they are well worth having evenif only to store the chairs during a shower

3. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

4. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Jamie the 3 mtr refers to length of awning
    Very easy DIY,Simply glue and screw / seal fixing track to side of van (finding upright batons) then two man lift and secure
    Try http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/ GIVE THEM A CALL THEY SOMETIMES HAVE 4 /4.5 MTR IN FOR AROUND 350 ISH
    :BigGrin: Been writing this on and off for above an hour :Smile: Geo has already said what I have :Rofl1::Wink:
    terry
    Edit -- not getting into any arguments on screwing or bolting other than saying the glue and screws held mine on fine :Wink:

5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

6. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. jimothy

jimothy Read Only Funster

Thanks for all the awning advice - all most useful :Smile:

The secondhand one I was looking at went for 350 on ebay in the end - too close to new prices in my opinion. You can get a new one from Fiammastore at 380, which is what I think I'll end up doing. Not in any rush, and now I have a better idea what I'm looking at. :thumb:

So fitting it - how do I find the reinforced bits of my van to put the bolts through? I have tried tapping it in the hope that some sections might sound/feel more solid - inconclusive at best!

8. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

The "bits" are not necessarily reinforced and the bracketry is designed to do that.