Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi all,
how does your tv travel? Is it ok to travel with the tv fastened to the adjustable bracket or should it be removed during travel and then fastened back on when you reach your destination?
Thank you
Lee.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
In the motorhomes we rented, the TV was left in place on the adjustable bracket, but the place we hired from insisted that bungee straps were used to stop the telly swinging in transit.

Never had any trouble with it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it depends on the bracket and weight of the tv. i unclip mine and put it in a padded bag, then store it on the overcab bed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Left in place, with an additional Velcro strap screwed to wall behind tv to wrap around the swing armed, as it tends to swing out if not Velcrod in place :D

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Take it orft !! You will kick your self if you break it.. Its also less for a scrote to nick if they see it through the 'windy'.. Win win !!

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Put mine away!

The multi-positional bracket is also demountable. It slides up and out of its wall holder, leaving the bracket still attached to the TV. Therefore, there's no screws or bolts to undo. I just coil the cables and tuck them away. When removed, I pop it into a padded bag and stow it.

There are two main reasons why I take it off; the first being vibration. Whenever something is on a bracket - as opposed to being fixed - any vibration is amplified. Don't want to shake the TV's innards up too much.

Second reason is safety. No amount of Velcro or bungee cords on mine would prevent it becoming a missile in the event of a crash. The impact would cause the bracket to extend, swing out, tear out the small bolts and hurl the TV down the hab area and into the cab at head height!

Might sound over-cautious, but it only takes a jiffy to remove and stow.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Ours stays in place but i made a bracket that fits in between 2 joints on the tv bracket to stop it from moving.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
ours is still in the box. it came out when my son wanted it. we put it back. and its been there for at least three years. my son keeps saying. he will take it back.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ralph fixed ours to a chrome swivel bracket .
When travelling its clipped up , as in bottom pic, using a seatbelt type strap. Once we want to watch it it's released.
We either fix the bed up with the same strap , or have the bed down. You can see the other bit of the strap on the top pic dangling from the tv. We are leaving the bracket in the MH when we sell it (But not the TV) because It's a lot better to watch the TV in this position . It was supposed to be in the cupboard above the clock on a pull out bracket. You got a cricked neck when lounging on the seats.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Ours sits on a custom-designed removable wooden ledge that slots in between the seat cushion and the seat back at the cab end of our four-seater dinette. It's only the two of us who watch it, so we sit on the opposite side of the table. I hated having to look upwards at the screen, so I've now got it at eye level. When travelling, the TV is kept inside a locked under seat locker, and is cushioned.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
leave mine in place all the time, under a cabinet, hasnt failed yet and been there at least two years. Its done at least 10,000 in that position I only take it out over the winter when we have the frosts.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Ours stays in place while we drive; it swings about a bit sometimes but all the brackets and fixing are so robust that no damage is done.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
ours goes back in the polystyrene lined box it came in and then up on the overhead bed when travelling-we only have it on a shelf to watch and take it out of view when we go out. Just to reduce temptation.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We only watch TV when slobbing out on our transverse bed so it's fitted to one side of the washroom over the bed and is kept in place in transit with a strap slotted mounted through some small plastic brackets which I removed from the gas locker when in put a larger bottle in. I also put a piece of material over the front (with 2 elastic loops to keep it in place) and a seatbelt pad (used normally to keep the pressure of a seatbelt off your shoulder) to ensure it is nice and snug and the strap doesn't chafe/rub. It has never dropped ff in all the years we've used this method (in various vans)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
View attachment 54070 View attachment 54071
Ralph fixed ours to a chrome swivel bracket .
When travelling its clipped up , as in bottom pic, using a seatbelt type strap. Once we want to watch it it's released.
We either fix the bed up with the same strap , or have the bed down. You can see the other bit of the strap on the top pic dangling from the tv. We are leaving the bracket in the MH when we sell it (But not the TV) because It's a lot better to watch the TV in this position . It was supposed to be in the cupboard above the clock on a pull out bracket. You got a cricked neck when lounging on the seats.
Where did you find the bracket? I would like mine in the same position.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have a fixed original one in the lounge area but when I wanted another TV over the rear fixed the guy who did the wiring put a moving arm type on the side of the wardrobe, same story ended up with having to remember to bungee down, the replacement I got was brilliant, it does have side & vertical adjustment not much but enough to cover both single beds and ............ it never moves as it does not have swinging arms, I seem to remember the suppliers website saying they supplied all the Swift group ones

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Been on the bracket for 43,000 miles, hooked back with a bit of parachute cord when traveling.

Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back