telescope

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Collyer911, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Collyer911

Collyer911 Read Only Funster

hi

does anyone on here have a telescope ?

i originally bought my first camper for this, nipping off to a dark site to look at the stars,
    although i,m more into the motorhoming now than the skywatching!!

never the less does anybody use any good dark sites at all,
    me and my lad are thinking of kelling heath next week with the scopes for a bit of stargazing
    but if you know of any better pls give your opinion and recommendations

thanks

andy:thumb:

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I have a couple of astronomical telescopes although not used them much ..... I got bored looking at the underside of clouds! The night sky never really gets dark this time of year and in the winter months when it is dark it's too flaming cold.

A nice summer day with solar filters fitted watching transits and sun spots with a cold beer in hand is more my style now:thumb:

Brian

edit: We moved to Norfolk from Kent 3 years ago expecting nice dark sky ..... how wrong I was in our particular area.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  3. Collyer911

couldn't agree with you more

although there are still some nice views if theres no moon in the sky, and with goto you can always find something that will keep you occupied for an hour or two.

i daren't go the solar route the mrs would go mental if i turned up with another scope!!

4. icantremember

icantremember Funster

No need for another scope, I use a home made Bader film filter and an angled eye piece adapter so not looking directly towards the sun.

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I rented a villa once in the hills near Ronda in Spain.

The night sky was something to behold.

That was 25 years ago though so it might be spoilt now.

7. hilldweller

We went through Ronda a year ago, now it has a huge "tacky white houses for rich Germans" estate tacked on the side.

8. Collyer911

• Like Like x 1
  9. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Funny you should bring telescopes up. Just thinking of buying one for my son & fiancée as they have just moved to a 10th floor apartment in Liverpool with great views over the Mersey out towards the estuary. What do I need to look for 'cos I haven't got the foggiest idea! Any tips?

10. Madwife

Madwife Deleted User

Howie bought an astronomical telescope when we moved to the wilds of wanny in Northumberland as we had no light pollution there. Used it a few times but the cold nights made star gazing a bit of a hypothermia hazard! We did see the international space station and the shuttle docked together and then split for the final time but that was with the naked eye.

We have relatively little light pollution here and I love walking the dogs on a cloudless night as the sky is awash with stars.

If you are looking for a good site to visit for skywatchers try the CC site at Kielder Forrest as no light pollution - the only downside there are the midges which are vicious :Angry:

Kath and Howie

• Like Like x 1
  11. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I would save your money 'cos they don't need a telescope ...... on the 10th floor they are up among the stars anyway!:Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

well bring them to the meet in august. as you know there is very little if any light polution at the site and who knows someone might even buy one especially if it is better than my old thing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. hilldweller

It'll still get nicked.

• Like Like x 1
  14. hilldweller

The sensible answer -- there are two main types of telescope, astronomical and terrestrial. Astronomical ones have the image inverted because less lenses mean less light loss and it does not matter. Terrestrial are upright images.

Rule of and optical viewer - bigger the main lens the more light it collects. Bigger the magnification the more light it loses.

Never buy a zoom under £1000 it will be a disaster, too distorted.

I've a pair of 75 x 15 binoculars, heavy so need a tripod for length use but what a staggeringly bright picture, suitable for star gazing.

You see adverts "Staggering 60x magnification and smallest on the market". Disaster. 1. You can't hold 60x steady, it magnifies you shakes 60x. 2. Small means they collect little light the stretch it 60x, so dimmer than a candle.

Now who is going to pick holes in this, I've left plenty to work on.

15. scousebird

scousebird Funster

I'd like to see someone climb up a glass building to get in a 10th floor window :Rofl1::Rofl1:

16. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Two of the best stargazing locations in the North of England are Kielder forest in Northumberland

http://www.kielderobservatory.org/

Then the Queens forest in Dumfries & Galloway near Newton Stewart

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/a...72447/Britains-best-stargazing-locations.html

I'm fortunate living near Kielder with almost zero light pollution and awesome views of the night sky when its cloudless. Have visited the Queens forest numerous times there are some great little CL's close by and lots of wilding spots :thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

I use my birding optics for star/ planet gazing, bino's are Leica 10 x 42 very bright then once I pinpoint something with them I use a Leica scope with a zoom eyepiece and an 80mm objective lens, very effective.

Excellent advice Brian, forget zoom bino's and huge magnifications, you'll get more satisfaction and feel better by giving the money to a worthy charity than wasting it on inferior optics :thumb::thumb::thumb:

18. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Are you really sure that you are seeing celestial bodies through your scope?.............

..... not just the clouds of midges for which Kielder is well known!
    :Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Its a dampish warm day here and the little bu**ers were out for blood this afternoon when I was out in the garden.:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  20. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Some lucky sod was at that dark sky site in a Scottish forest with his camera on time exposure when that fireball went over last year. I only caught a fleeting glimpse of it from home while he watched it traverse the whole night sky, and caught it on film. Git.