May 30, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
hi

does anyone on here have a telescope ?

i originally bought my first camper for this, nipping off to a dark site to look at the stars,
although i,m more into the motorhoming now than the skywatching!!

never the less does anybody use any good dark sites at all,
me and my lad are thinking of kelling heath next week with the scopes for a bit of stargazing
but if you know of any better pls give your opinion and recommendations

thanks

andy:thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have a couple of astronomical telescopes although not used them much ..... I got bored looking at the underside of clouds! The night sky never really gets dark this time of year and in the winter months when it is dark it's too flaming cold.

A nice summer day with solar filters fitted watching transits and sun spots with a cold beer in hand is more my style now:thumb:

Brian

edit: We moved to Norfolk from Kent 3 years ago expecting nice dark sky ..... how wrong I was in our particular area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Collyer911

Free Member
May 30, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have a couple of astronomical telescopes although not used them much ..... I got bored looking at the underside of clouds! The night sky never really gets dark this time of year and in the winter months when it is dark it's too flaming cold.

A nice summer day with solar filters fitted watching transits and sun spots with a cold beer in hand is more my style now:thumb:

Brian

couldn't agree with you more

although there are still some nice views if theres no moon in the sky, and with goto you can always find something that will keep you occupied for an hour or two.

i daren't go the solar route the mrs would go mental if i turned up with another scope!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
couldn't agree with you more

although there are still some nice views if theres no moon in the sky, and with goto you can always find something that will keep you occupied for an hour or two.

i daren't go the solar route the mrs would go mental if i turned up with another scope!!

No need for another scope, I use a home made Bader film filter and an angled eye piece adapter so not looking directly towards the sun.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
does anyone on here have a telescope ?QUOTE]

Somewhere.

Not 'till you've bought one do you realise that when stars are good, not often, you freeze your nuts off watching them.

BUT, the star event of my life was on Teneriffe. The hotel did a star gazing night. They took us in 4x4s up Mt Tiede. We passed through the clouds. Then when the sun set at over 8000' the sky exploded. Pebble-dashed. The temperature plummeted but they provided padded coats. It was beyond awesome.

Next best was Scotland. I was working there and got in the car and drove a few miles outside the little village north of Aberdeen. Not quite as good as Tiede but I did get an awesome comet.

A place with huge potential, The Long Mynd in Shropshire. I've been up there in the dark, cloudy, pitch black and very spooky as creatures can be heard all around. Not sure if you are allowed overnight in a MH.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I rented a villa once in the hills near Ronda in Spain.

The night sky was something to behold.

That was 25 years ago though so it might be spoilt now.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I rented a villa once in the hills near Ronda in Spain.

The night sky was something to behold.

That was 25 years ago though so it might be spoilt now.

We went through Ronda a year ago, now it has a huge "tacky white houses for rich Germans" estate tacked on the side.

OP
OP
C

Collyer911

Free Member
May 30, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
does anyone on here have a telescope ?QUOTE]

Somewhere.

Not 'till you've bought one do you realise that when stars are good, not often, you freeze your nuts off watching them.

BUT, the star event of my life was on Teneriffe. The hotel did a star gazing night. They took us in 4x4s up Mt Tiede. We passed through the clouds. Then when the sun set at over 8000' the sky exploded. Pebble-dashed. The temperature plummeted but they provided padded coats. It was beyond awesome.

Next best was Scotland. I was working there and got in the car and drove a few miles outside the little village north of Aberdeen. Not quite as good as Tiede but I did get an awesome comet.

A place with huge potential, The Long Mynd in Shropshire. I've been up there in the dark, cloudy, pitch black and very spooky as creatures can be heard all around. Not sure if you are allowed overnight in a MH.

i was lucky enough to have a holiday in hawaii in 2003

we drove over the volcano at night going back to the resort and pulled over at a high vantage point, the star canopy was overwhelming you couldn't pick out individual stars as the sky was awash with pionts of light gas and dust clouds etc

i can still picture it now... beautiful thats where the bug started

thanks for the tip though ill google long mynd:thumb:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Funny you should bring telescopes up. Just thinking of buying one for my son & fiancée as they have just moved to a 10th floor apartment in Liverpool with great views over the Mersey out towards the estuary. What do I need to look for 'cos I haven't got the foggiest idea! Any tips?

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Howie bought an astronomical telescope when we moved to the wilds of wanny in Northumberland as we had no light pollution there. Used it a few times but the cold nights made star gazing a bit of a hypothermia hazard! We did see the international space station and the shuttle docked together and then split for the final time but that was with the naked eye.

We have relatively little light pollution here and I love walking the dogs on a cloudless night as the sky is awash with stars.

If you are looking for a good site to visit for skywatchers try the CC site at Kielder Forrest as no light pollution - the only downside there are the midges which are vicious :Angry:

Kath and Howie

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Funny you should bring telescopes up. Just thinking of buying one for my son & fiancée as they have just moved to a 10th floor apartment in Liverpool with great views over the Mersey out towards the estuary. What do I need to look for 'cos I haven't got the foggiest idea! Any tips?

I would save your money 'cos they don't need a telescope ...... on the 10th floor they are up among the stars anyway!:winky:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

Brian

edit: We moved to Norfolk from Kent 3 years ago expecting nice dark sky ..... how wrong I was in our particular area.
well bring them to the meet in august. as you know there is very little if any light polution at the site and who knows someone might even buy one especially if it is better than my old thing.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Funny you should bring telescopes up. Just thinking of buying one for my son & fiancée as they have just moved to a 10th floor apartment

The sensible answer -- there are two main types of telescope, astronomical and terrestrial. Astronomical ones have the image inverted because less lenses mean less light loss and it does not matter. Terrestrial are upright images.

Rule of and optical viewer - bigger the main lens the more light it collects. Bigger the magnification the more light it loses.

Never buy a zoom under £1000 it will be a disaster, too distorted.

I've a pair of 75 x 15 binoculars, heavy so need a tripod for length use but what a staggeringly bright picture, suitable for star gazing.

You see adverts "Staggering 60x magnification and smallest on the market". Disaster. 1. You can't hold 60x steady, it magnifies you shakes 60x. 2. Small means they collect little light the stretch it 60x, so dimmer than a candle.

Now who is going to pick holes in this, I've left plenty to work on.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Two of the best stargazing locations in the North of England are Kielder forest in Northumberland

http://www.kielderobservatory.org/

Then the Queens forest in Dumfries & Galloway near Newton Stewart

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/a...72447/Britains-best-stargazing-locations.html

I'm fortunate living near Kielder with almost zero light pollution and awesome views of the night sky when its cloudless. Have visited the Queens forest numerous times there are some great little CL's close by and lots of wilding spots :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
The sensible answer -- there are two main types of telescope, astronomical and terrestrial. Astronomical ones have the image inverted because less lenses mean less light loss and it does not matter. Terrestrial are upright images.

Rule of and optical viewer - bigger the main lens the more light it collects. Bigger the magnification the more light it loses.

Never buy a zoom under £1000 it will be a disaster, too distorted.

I've a pair of 75 x 15 binoculars, heavy so need a tripod for length use but what a staggeringly bright picture, suitable for star gazing.

You see adverts "Staggering 60x magnification and smallest on the market". Disaster. 1. You can't hold 60x steady, it magnifies you shakes 60x. 2. Small means they collect little light the stretch it 60x, so dimmer than a candle.

Now who is going to pick holes in this, I've left plenty to work on.

I use my birding optics for star/ planet gazing, bino's are Leica 10 x 42 very bright then once I pinpoint something with them I use a Leica scope with a zoom eyepiece and an 80mm objective lens, very effective.

Excellent advice Brian, forget zoom bino's and huge magnifications, you'll get more satisfaction and feel better by giving the money to a worthy charity than wasting it on inferior optics :thumb::thumb::thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Two of the best stargazing locations in the North of England are Kielder forest in Northumberland

http://www.kielderobservatory.org/

Then the Queens forest in Dumfries & Galloway near Newton Stewart

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/a...72447/Britains-best-stargazing-locations.html

I'm fortunate living near Kielder with almost zero light pollution and awesome views of the night sky when its cloudless. Have visited the Queens forest numerous times there are some great little CL's close by and lots of wilding spots :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Are you really sure that you are seeing celestial bodies through your scope?.............

..... not just the clouds of midges for which Kielder is well known!
:winky:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Some lucky sod was at that dark sky site in a Scottish forest with his camera on time exposure when that fireball went over last year. I only caught a fleeting glimpse of it from home while he watched it traverse the whole night sky, and caught it on film. Git.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sorry to resurrect an 18 month old thread!

Martin has just set up his telescope plus SLR camera attachment and is experimenting with setup.

We have very dark skies here so if anyone wants to come and help with his set up or to bring their own equipment you would be welcome. We can accommodate motorhomes up to 6.5m long on our drive.

If there is enough interest we could even have an astronomy meet!

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
I have a Celestron Nexstar 5SE which is a 'goto'. I started off when I was 10 with a pair of second hand binoculars.

Whilst we live in a coastal village with dark skies I'm also planning some nights away in the MH amongst the mountains with my 'scope.

I also plan a visit to the Galloway Forest Dark Sky site.

Keith Hart

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
[/QUOTE]
I also plan a visit to the Galloway Forest Dark Sky site.

Keith Hart[/QUOTE]

We're off to my mate's cottage in Galloway this week, the skies are phenomenal, can't remember where I left my binos though :( Hoping to catch a glimpse of comet Lovejoy.
We do keep a terrestial scope up there for watching the otters in Luce Bay too.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Martin's new scope is a Celestron C8 if that means anything to anyone.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Try Norfolk to the west of Kings Lynn @icantremember, no street lights where we are, no telescope but I do like studying the night sky with the Google Sky Map/App. If I stray too far though the neighbour's security light tends to spoil things.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Im after a Celestron 8se or CPC
Came very close to buying a 10" mead at the weekend but then I got sensible but it wont take me long to save up again

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have an 8" Meade LX90 ACF. We are also blessed with very dark skies both here in the UK and in France. ( actually, dark skies were a major factor on house purchases)
RS_rob, I have had a Celestron 8se and a CPC 9.25. Both excellent scopes, but I went back to a Meade and love it.
And if it's too cold outside, I set the scope up and let the Goto do its thing, then go indoors while the scope looks at stuff on its own!
Allan

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
well bring them to the meet in august. as you know there is very little if any light polution at the site and who knows someone might even buy one especially if it is better than my old thing.

I have a celestron astronomical scope, used it once after buying it on a whim,brilliant bit of kit but not for me .I could bring it to ilfracombe rally in August if anyone would be interested in buying it.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I have a celestron astronomical scope, used it once after buying it on a whim,brilliant bit of kit but not for me .I could bring it to ilfracombe rally in August if anyone would be interested in buying it.

Forgot to to add its a celestron astromaster 130 SQ

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
I'm personally looking for a goto 8" preferably so I can take it to sites for the weekend & set up & use with the laptop inside the van a bit like you Allan.
I'll consider them all if 2nd hand but meads are a bit pricey new.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back