Teleco or Oyster

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Darren, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Darren

Darren Funster

Looking at getting one of these automatic systems fitted. Anyone have any recommendations on which one to buy? I know the Teleco has auto skew and Gps which will cost £2200 fitted with a 85 cm dish not got a price for the oyster one yet.

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I've got an Alden AS4 system fitted by Vanbitz for a similar price, I think slightly less with Funster discount.

All I can really say is whenever we've used it it's worked perfectly. No complaints or negatives at all.

• Like Like x 1
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Also have an Alden AS4.. fitted myself.. bought from Eddie.. Vanbitz..

as Nick.. had it a year and works great.. no complaints.. it finds and locks on fast.. less than a minute form pressing the On button..

I believe it's the only auto dish with a
    • LIFETIME WARRANTY on satellite system
    more details.. http://www.vanbitz.com/mobile-installation/alden/

It's a breeze to fit.. the kit comes with everything you need, including the Sikaflex adhesive..

If you can drill a hole (for the cables) .. you can fit a sat dish.. it is simply glued to the roof.. no screws or fixings..

After fitting it is literally 'plug and play' it is already set up for Astra

• Like Like x 1
  4. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

ive got a 6 week old oyster sat/internet system ,it started playing up last week,ive now got it partially working by way of advice from Oyster,need to make another phone call tomorrow

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

I'v had an Oyster for 6 years never had a problem yet lol.

• Like Like x 1
  6. f6c

f6c Funster

Oyster 85cm for me(y)

• Like Like x 1
  7. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Just had a look at that. I'm particularly impressed with the electromagnetic feet that energise when driving ................. :whistle::whistle:

8. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

I had to keep the cost down ( TV to me has a price ceiling) so I got a Snipe 2.

9. seanoo

seanoo Funster

if you want a dish that will keep up with the constant changing of transponders and the best build quality on the market then the oyster is the best by far. also if you are heading to spain or portugal , and you have a oyster vision 3 autoskew then you can still get your bbc's and itv ch4 with the right receiver.

10. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Lol illegally and at risk of equipment confiscation! Attached to the van? They can have that too!

So be careful using illegal encryption decoders

11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Last summer I met a couple in France who had no end of trouble with a brand new Oyster system.. on a brand new Rapido , they were parked next to us on the air at Mimizan.. Got chatting and they couldn't get it to 'lock on' .. I had no problem with the Alden.

I went to see if I could help.. and suggested he move the van a few meters forward.. sorted... but they had no end of trouble with it every day ... in the end they stopped using it ..

Another couple in Spain.. same problem with an Oyster .. and again.. had to move the van to get locked on.. there were no trees or obstructions and both parked beside me..

They may be isolated incidents and there are no doubt many happy Oyster owners .. just as there are thousands of happy Alden owners.. but it can't be claimed to be the 'best by far'

Vanbitz wouldn't be the Alden UK agent if it were a second rate system.

Does the Oyster come with a lifetime warranty?

• Like Like x 1
  12. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Had an Oyster for six years, and apart from having to change the transponder settings, easy peasy, it has been faultless. I am sure there are loads of satisfied owners of both systems and inevitably those who have had problems. Like anything, you pays your money and takes you chance. Even the Queens Rolls Royce could break down at sometime. :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

I know it is illegal but.....
    Just wondering, do you have any numbers on the amount of times people have been caught? Or is it the same as gassing, hearsay.

14. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Had an Oyster on the last van, no problems for 6 years. The Oyster is fully auto the Telco is only semi auto, with the Telco you have to select the satellite where as with the Oyster you select the TV channel and it finds the satellite.
    Fitted a Snipe on the current van couldn't justify the cost of an Oyster and the Snipe can be left up in strong winds.

15. eddievanbitz

Gassing doesn't exist. illegally downloading encrypted material, is an offence and the equipment can be confiscated and destroyed. Stuck to a vehicle? they can take that as well.

As a business we wouldn't get involved in anything that could result in our customers being fined or having their equipment confiscated.

I know that people take the risk and I don't blame them, but, I think that people should always be aware that they are illegally receiving encrypted material designed for HM Forces overseas.

Not being a party pooper as on a personal level I may consider it if I were in Spain for a longer period, so long as I knew the risk, and I would keep very quiet about it ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. eddievanbitz

Gassing doesn't exist. illegally downloading encrypted material, is an offence and the equipment can be confiscated and destroyed. Stuck to a vehicle? they can take that as well.

As a business we wouldn't get involved in anything that could result in our customers being fined or having their equipment confiscated.

I know that people take the risk and I don't blame them, but, I think that people should always be aware that they are illegally receiving encrypted material designed for HM Forces overseas.

Not being a party pooper as on a personal level I may consider it if I were in Spain for a longer period, so long as I knew the risk, and I would keep very quiet about it ;)

17. Speve

Speve Funster

Gassing!!!:wasntme::giggler:
    Are we talking about the Icecrypt receivers?

18. eddievanbitz

Yes and what is connected to it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Can you program the Snipe 2 to Intelsat 907, the frequencies are too high for the Snipe 1 controller.

20. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

I don't know to be honest. Funny you should ask though because i am going to try tomorrow am. Just got to figure out how to impute the info.