Free Member
May 7, 2011
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi

We are off for another trip in the van this weekend but I have been getting grief from my beloved who wants to watch 'Strictly' on saturday evening.

Rather than having to buy a proper tele I bought a DVB-T tuner from ebay:

Link Removed

to use with my laptop.

Needing a better aerial than the one supplied I bought this one from Amazon:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Caravan-Camping-Overlander-Portable-Digital/dp/B000NVR7ZM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324030076&sr=8-2[/ame]

Although I haven't tried all the channels yet I can report that BBC1 at least works a treat and thats with no adjustment needed to the aerial.

Total cost - about £30, not bad.

Paul

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I bought one of those tuners a few years ago, the signal and supplied antenna were crap. My home set could receive even ch5 without an antenna plugged in as we can see the transmitter mast from the window but even with the dongle thingy plugged in and main ant attached could not get a single program. I sold it on and the buyer said it worked on his fine so do beware.

OP
OP
G

Globalempire

Free Member
May 7, 2011
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I've done a bit more testing now and so far I haven't found a channel that doesn't work perfectly. This is only at home mind you (south Norfolk) , things might change in a poorer signal area and in the van.

For the price (£9.49 including post) the tuner is obviously not a quality item and the software is a bit clunky but it works fine for me so far.

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Better makes sure it works.....I can imagine the grief I would get if the picture went wonky halfway though Harry's show dance !!!

Life as we know it would not continue!!!

barry:Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just looked at that.. Got a big union jack on the picture but when you click on the contact details it is all in chinese and the fone number is in canton !!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Remember that once an area moves over fully to digital only signal they increase the power a LOT..!! They use to have to keep it low power while the existing Analogue was still running, so small aerials were never very good but may now be better in stronger signal or digital only areas..

But a proper TV aerial outdoors will always perform better than those little "twig" things..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
This is the same piece of kit I've been using on my boat for six years now.

I only use the small antenna supplied but of course it is almost 30ft up, close to the top of the mast so superb reception.

Works a treat, but on each re-tune I pick up about 300 channels most of which are rubbish.

BBC ITV/Ch4/5 are all there along with Radio as well.

Griff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back