Sep 24, 2007
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
18 months
Hi everyone,
WE have just purchased our first RV after owning a european model, and although we are quite resourceful and have owned one or another caravan or MH for several years we are still green in the RV stakes!

Our Gulfstream (1995) has an Electrolux fridge which runs on 12v 240v or gas but only seems to maintain a reasonable temperature on gas or when running on 12V whilst travelling.
If we leave it on 240V it seems to gain several degrees even when set fairly high and will go up to 10 or 12 deg C but on gas it stays around 2-6 which is far better. Am I doing something wrong?

Also - I don't really want to complain ( Oh yes I do!) but the seller has removed every last stitch of equipment and we are therefore looking for several things to actually go anywhere.

E.g. We were told that we would have no problems filling with LPG ( for habitation tank) as the fitting was the english one and on visiting our local Shell garage found that it is the wrong one! Ours seems to be a screw fitting and the shell one is a bayonet type and the attendant didn't have a clue.

Also in need of sewer pipe.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

cheers lynne
Photo to be changed when I find the camera!

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I always thought the fridges work quite well on 240 volt as they use the thermostat & that when they are on 12 volts they are unregulated.
As for the gas I assume yours has the acme type fitting & as far as I am aware all the UK type are the bayonet fittng.
As for the seller removing 'every last stitch' didn't you agree with them what you were actually buying? When we sold our last van we made it clear what we were leaving & what we wanted to keep. We mutally agreed to this prior to the sale or any handover of cash. This was to save us having to buy all new equipment for our next van & the new owner having some things he already had.

OP
OP
dundreamin

dundreamin

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
18 months
Teething troubles

Hi Thanks for your answer.

I had thought the same about the fridge but doesn't appear so.

As for the LPG - as I said we were assured that his local shell garage had this fitting but this was not the case in another shell garage.
So we thought we were OK on that one and didn't realise as we had used bottles before. We knew we would need others for europe. Also this van was converted for UK onimporting in 1995 by Travelworld and so we also assumed they would have adapted this.
As for the other things - we had not had an RV before and probably assumed that - as with european the pipes were available underneath Somewhere - obviously with this being different we did not ask all the right questions although we did ask quite a few which we thought were relevant.
cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The fridge on 240v could possibly be the heater element, about £28, Sewer pipe, we do one but whether it will fit an RV dont know.

LindaC might be your best bet.

Flexible hose extendable to 75cm with two fittings.
One for connection to roll tank and one in stainless steel for an additional connection to the waste valve on your Motor Home.

OP
OP
dundreamin

dundreamin

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
18 months
fridge

thanks for that re the fridge - but if its the elemet would that not also affect the temp when on gas etc?

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Are you sure the fridge is 3-way? As I recall ours was mains or gas only - hence the need to turn the fridge off when entering a petrol station. The 12v is to light it.

I don't think converters change the LPG connector - its easy enough to get the adapter for UK (or Europe) and just screw it on when you refill.

:Smile:
Keith

Last edited:

brianju

Free Member
Sep 18, 2007
Hampshire Hogs now in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
A class 1991 Hymer B544
Exp
10yrs ish - US 5th Wheel/US RV/Eurovan
Hi Lynne

Congratulations on the purchase of your first RV :thumb:

Don't know how far you are from Pickering? But if you can make the journey to
The Northern Motorhome Show - you could look up Star Spangled Spanner's Stand, speak to Duncan and pick up your bits needed there .... also get advice from him about your fridge. If not you could always ring him < Link > or PM him, user name ... damondunc

Julia

OP
OP
dundreamin

dundreamin

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
18 months
Pickering.

We are definitely hoping to go to Pickering to pick up some of the things we need.
Looks like we are going to replace the battery management unit as the fan is a bit tempramental does anyone know where we can scource the right one for our RV. is it a Zig unit or do we need a classy battery managment unit?

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi
We have a class C Gulfstream and the fridge/freezer seems to be a bit spooky when on leccy so we just switch to gas and dont worry about it.

As for the gas adaptor you can get one from Gas Barbecue and Charcoal Barbecue online experts - Socal. This link wont work so type in the web adress from your browser, screw it into your tank nozzle, attach the pump and get a face full of gas :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

As said above either Linda at Stateside Tuning or Star Spangled for your sewer hose, in loo of sewer hose a Sainsbury's bag.:Eeek:

Cheers
Jim

Edit: The link does work
:thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
We are definitely hoping to go to Pickering to pick up some of the things we need.
Looks like we are going to replace the battery management unit as the fan is a bit tempramental does anyone know where we can scource the right one for our RV. is it a Zig unit or do we need a classy battery managment unit?

'Its not a "Zig" it will be an old fashioned linear type magnatek box' I quote from a reliable source!!!:thumb:

PS Linda at Stateside is to be recommended again for 'stuff' you may/will be needing.

OP
OP
dundreamin

dundreamin

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
18 months
Gas ------sewer pipe

Hi
We have a class C Gulfstream and the fridge/freezer seems to be a bit spooky when on leccy so we just switch to gas and dont worry about it.

As for the gas adaptor you can get one from Gas Barbecue and Charcoal Barbecue online experts - Socal. This link wont work so type in the web adress from your browser, screw it into your tank nozzle, attach the pump and get a face full of gas :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

As said above either Linda at Stateside Tuning or Star Spangled for your sewer hose, in loo of sewer hose a Sainsbury's bag.:Eeek:

Cheers
Jim

Edit: The link does work
:thumb:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the advice. I am under the assumption that the tank is a screw in nozzle (thats what it looks like) and the fillers at petrol stations in UK are a bayonet type - am I Right?

The fridge works great on gas - but we couldn't fill it up til we got an adapter!!:Doh
However the good news is that the gas lasted well while we were away so giving us more time to fill up.

In loo of the filler hose we found a low level black bucket in a cheap shop in Spalding which fitted well under the low level outlet and did the trick temporarily. We thought that there was a hose but alas on reading the manual " remove the sewer hose from its storage compartment" but first...... find the storage compartment!:RollEyes:
and so... the bucket it had to be:Eeek:

Other than our self imposed teething troubles we have had a good week getting to know the bus in a small camp site ( with fishing lake) and are looking forward to the show at pickering for the bits we haven't managed to get on EBAY or similar .

THanks again.

Lynne

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We thought that there was a hose but alas on reading the manual " remove the sewer hose from its storage compartment" but first...... find the storage compartment!:RollEyes:

have a look at your rear bumper....some RV's and a lot of 5ers utilise the hollow bumper bar to store the hose, or check under the bumper for an added tube about 4" across it.:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My fridge travels on gas only or static on 240volt or if no EHU then gas.

Been told by Duncan (RV Spares, Accessories, Parts and Servicing - Star Spangled Spanner) that fridges are more efficient on gas.

Preious owner has done nothing wrong as long has he made you aware he was taking the sewer hose and gas connection.

Happy RVing:thumb:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
OP
OP
dundreamin

dundreamin

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
18 months
sewer hose

No hose in any of the lockers .......... will check the bumper now though and have emailed previous owner.
A bit niaive of us but didn'e think about this on collection as used to a european with a cassette toilet!:Blush:

Lynne

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
In the past i have obtained lpg adaptors, sewer hoses etc from ABP-Accessories.co.uk or Mobilerv.co.uk
Both give a good service.
Hope you enjoy your RV

Larry

Campermad!

Free Member
Jun 30, 2009
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Gulfstream RV
Exp
Since 2000!
Hi, We have just bought our Rv and are learning about where to get parts etc. We found ebay quite useful and got our gas adaptor and some other parts from there at very reasonable prices! We have the two way fridge and we just keep ours on gas whenever we are travelling and it has been fine. We are off to Europe on our umpteenth journey in two weeks but it is the first time in our RV so will keep you posted on how it goes! And good luck with yours!:thumb:

Oh and we got our sewer pipe from the local caravan shop, they had some odd bits laying around so its always worth a try!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back