Technology! Which way? (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
:cool: Ipad or laptop or Google tablet ?

Which is best for travelling? Which s the best for wifi connectivity etc Windows or android or Os (Mac)

Kev ;)

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I have all three and use the tablets just for quick reference/quick internet browsing/short usage tasks and the laptop for longer use/lots of typing

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Again easy for me we all have Android phones, so Android tablets. Share apps between devices, choice of hardware form, chargers and cables are generally interchangeable which is important when travelling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
iPads are a pain in the ar*e basically an expensive browser not much good for anything else wifi not that good on them, if you want a tablet I would go for a Galaxy tab still one of the best.
Laptops are too big and bulky if you would rather have a computer a netbook is a lot smaller & lighter and will do everything a laptop will do except they won't have the faster processor in the world but I doubt if that would worry you, wifi tends to be better in laptops/netbooks.
We have an ipad, a 7" tablet & a netbook, take the netbook & ipad with us the 7"tablet we find too small.
If I were buying now I would go one of the duo PC's gives you a netbook and a tablet in one. I would never buy another ipad.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I'm no IT expert, but when away in the MH, I always used our power hungry laptop, with either the WiFi booster, or the MiFi.

Now, I am getting used to a 10.1" Android tablet, and I am finding it handier to use, especially in the MH with the MiFi. Unfortunately, it won't recognise our WiFi booster :( but does pick up well on WiFi router signals. Other than an iPod, I don't do anything else Apple.

HTH,

Jock.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
You have opened up Pandora's Box with your question :eek:

You will probably receive many answers......... the trouble is most answers will come with an acute personal bias which won't really help you :rolleyes:

Tablets are light, quick and easy and well suited to the 12volt environment of a motorhome but they are best suited to 'internet consumption' rather than full blown 'computing'. Their batteries tend to last for around 10 hours of use and are easily recharged from the cigar socket of the van.

Lap tops will do everything that a tablet will do or that a desk top will do, but they do require some form of 240 volt charge for the batteries (invertor or EHU)

As for Apple or Android........ you pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Me? Apple :D:D:D

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Have a laptop and an I Pad. The laptop has hardly ever been used since getting the I Pad. I am basically an IT numpty but can manage the Pad with ease, and I don't go anywhere without it. Mine accesses the web via MiFi as this is the only system I use - no fixed broadband line at home. Love it.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It is only really possible to answer that question if we know what you intend to use them for?
Due to the nature of my work, I have a netbook, windows tablet, android tablet and an iPad, all of which are carried in the van.
For simply checking emails, or browsing the internet a tablet is probably going to best suit your needs. If you are doing anything that requires a significant amount of typing, then something with a keyboard would probably best suit, ie netbook/laptop.
Don't forget you can purchase full sized bluetooth keyboards now to connect to a tablet, I use one of the and they are very good.
As for which brand, I personally feel that there is little to choose between the ipad and the android tablets. The ipad is very slick, but is it worth that price tag? I think a good quality android tablet will be just as good, and much cheaper. Also, most android tablets accept a memory card, the ipad does not.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Any Tablet is an ideal piece of kit for the motorhome.
You have a single, easy to carry devise that can be used for internet access, music and film player. maps, camping list /apps etc etc...
Personally I use ipad but the better quality Android are also very good, as said you pay your money and make your choice.
Laptop still useful depending on what intend to do BUt mine is back in it's box and not been used for at least 2 years....

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi guys. Thanks for the responses. I think what my 'good lady' was referring to ( She posted the question bless her!) was the best for overall use . Not having access to either a Ipad or tablet of any form , I think she is/was 'Fishing' for an early birthday present!:sneaky:
If ,like a lot of the responses , it points to having a tablet of sorts, I know what will be coming next! :censored:
We have a macbook at the moment which is a little 'tired' to say the least! Bought it new 2005! Still does the job well though, albeit...a little slow at times:sleep:
Looks like though I have no choice now but to invest in something newer :(
What is it with Ladies and forum sites ? There is just Too much information available for her to use to back her up! :LOL:
Oh well...time to dig deep again into the trouser pockets!

Kev

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back