Tec Tower not cooling (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If all seemed well before fitting covers... Try removing the top vent cover..
I had same scenario on Dometic AES 8555... Fridge now operating ok with only bottom cover on... Presently.

JT
I just tried this as we're on Gas again and it seems to help.
A temporary fix until we find and fit the missing parts - thank you!

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Update !

Here is a pic of the top of the gas chimney which I sent to the dealer

IMG_5908.JPG

Dealer is ordering a new baffle and t piece.
They asked for a pic of the serial number etc, so hopefully the correct parts will arrive.
They seemed to think I could fit the parts myself, leaving them to fit the missing screw at next service.

Will update again when the parts arrive

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just had an interesting email forwarded to me from Dometic, to my supplying dealer, regarding the parts that their fitter had left off when servicing the fridge.

"It's not actually (fitters name) fault - this model fridge is not fitted with a baffle, & the 'lazy tee' is now often left out, as it is not really required. You should find that this fridge has the new type burner."

Speaking with the dealer, he suggests NEVER using the external winter vent covers as this can cause heat build up, which prevents the fridge from working efficiently, despite what it says in the product handbook, which is to fit them below 10 deg.

The benefit of this, is that the fridge does not have to be moved forward for flue cleaning - which means I can do it myself from now on.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Interesting, did you get to use the fridge anymore off EHU on the last trip?

I lost my covers soon after getting the MH so have used mine down to -15C 2 years ago on my Durness trip, apart from my door issues and the stupid lock my Dometic has so far always got cold

That said I have never actually measured the temperature o_O

Oh and the internal light only works if the MH is parked at a random angle, when presumably the fridge wouldn't light on gas anyway o_O

Not my favourite piece of kit and ridiculously expensive :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015

Speaking with the dealer, he suggests NEVER using the external winter vent covers as this can cause heat build up, which prevents the fridge from working efficiently, despite what it says in the product handbook, which is to fit them below 10 deg.

The benefit of this, is that the fridge does not have to be moved forward for flue cleaning - which means I can do it myself from now on.

In your quest... any chance of finding out how peeps can determine the difference between "old and new" type?

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Interesting, did you get to use the fridge anymore off EHU on the last trip?

I lost my covers soon after getting the MH so have used mine down to -15C 2 years ago on my Durness trip, apart from my door issues and the stupid lock my Dometic has so far always got cold

That said I have never actually measured the temperature o_O

Oh and the internal light only works if the MH is parked at a random angle, when presumably the fridge wouldn't light on gas anyway o_O

Not my favourite piece of kit and ridiculously expensive :(

We found that the fridge cooled much better on gas after the winter covers were removed.

Am going away this weekend so will fire up the fridge on gas today and will report back on the temp achieved.

Apparently the evaporator pipe work gets so hot during normal operation, that without sufficient ventilation it overheats and stops working.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
In your quest... any chance of finding out how peeps can determine the difference between "old and new" type?

Mine is like this - the burner is like a sausage roll, with holes in it.
IMG_5974.JPG

This is a blown up drawing which shows the burner being round, like a pot.
IMG_5975.PNG

Hope this helps

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Interesting Robert, thanks for the update.

Hope you were not too hard on them:xdoh:

Martin

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Mine is like this - the burner is like a sausage roll, with holes in it.
View attachment 136255

This is a blown up drawing which shows the burner being round, like a pot.
View attachment 136256

Hope this helps

Right... i'm off for a gander....

Ps. Noticed freezer wasn't performing as it should... (but temp IS back in double figs outside).. so took opportunity to defrost and remove bottom cover first thing... freezer now back "on-song".. ;)

Edit:
Pics....

IMG_2901.JPG
IMG_2902.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Right... i'm off for a gander....

Ps. Noticed freezer wasn't performing as it should... (but temp IS back in double figs outside).. so took opportunity to defrost and remove bottom cover first thing... freezer now back "on-song".. ;)

Edit:
Pics....

View attachment 136259 View attachment 136260
Apparently it's the top vent cover that needs removing too as it causes the heat to build up the vent space behind the fridge
I've removed both of mine
Have just switched mine on and will report back tomorrow with temp readings

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Apparently it's the top vent cover that needs removing too as it causes the heat to build up the vent space behind the fridge

I hadn't fitted the top one ;) ...

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Don't think I've ever used the winter cover, except when the van is parked on the drive for a while in winter. That was only to keep the rain and bugs out.
Don't have a top cover as ours vents out through the roof.

Richard.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Don't think I've ever used the winter cover, except when the van is parked on the drive for a while in winter. That was only to keep the rain and bugs out.
Don't have a top cover as ours vents out through the roof.

Richard.
That's strange Richard cos the dealer said that some models do vent through the roof too.
I wonder why yours has a roof vent and mine doesn't ?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Have you got the t piece on top of the flue?
Can't see the top of the flue from the bottom vent so I have no idea.
Did take a pic of the burner though and it looks the same as the one on @Fletton photo.
IMG_2331.jpg

I have also wondered why you have two side grills on yours. I wonder if it's because we have Alde heating which is under the fridge? I think you may have Truma in your van?

Richard.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Interesting comment about the winter covers, I did put ours on when I thought it wasn't performing on gas but then I gave it a clean but left the covers on (it was cold) been on 240 volts for a week or so now at a steady -11.6, took the winter covers off when I read this post and already down to -12.7 (freezer not fridge of course) and it's set about midway.

Martin

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Interesting comment about the winter covers, I did put ours on when I thought it wasn't performing on gas but then I gave it a clean but left the covers on (it was cold) been on 240 volts for a week or so now at a steady -11.6, took the winter covers off when I read this post and already down to -12.7 (freezer not fridge of course) and it's set about midway.

Martin
I'm also going to give the flue a clean next week, as we run on gas almost all the time and Dometic state that the fridge should be serviced at least every 6 months if run on gas.
Not having the t piece and baffle is hopefully going to make this fairly easy.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm also going to give the flue a clean next week, as we run on gas almost all the time and Dometic state that the fridge should be serviced at least every 6 months if run on gas.
Not having the t piece and baffle is hopefully going to make this fairly easy.
Very easy, I did look at your photo of the top of the exhaust tube the other day and could not see the slots where the baffle hangs but thought it must be the photo resolution.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Fairly certain mine has the flue elbow not sure about the baffle can't check at moment ( in Thailand). With the flue venting into the space behind can't see the elbow makes any difference.
The baffle helps the flow of air up the chimney so why would they decide not to fit on what is areadt poorly performing fridge Domestic are unbelievable.
As for the vent covers lost count if the amount of times I've said on here they shouldn't be used on gas and constantly get shouted down. If l leave the top cover on gas the cover almost melts with the heat on my fridge.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I've said on here they shouldn't be used on gas and constantly get shouted down. If l leave the top cover on gas the cover almost melts with the heat on my fridge.

It's not unreasonable that people have disregarded your opinion on vent covers Lenny, because it goes against the advice given by Dometic themselves in their user manual.
Moving forward I for one will be the first to support and reinforce your opinion on the matter - then we can both be ignored
As an aside I was pleased to see that having turned my fridge on yesterday afternoon that the internal temperature was 2.6 deg - which is amazing when compared with my original reeding of 14 deg with the vent covers fitted.

IMG_5980.JPG

Enjoy Thailand!

Last edited by a moderator:

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
I'm glad we don't need covers, I enquired about ones for our 9 series dometic and after a lot of phone calls to identify which ones we needed the dealer said they are in stock at Dometic UK and they're £90 each :Eeek:. Needless to say we didn't buy them.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I'm glad we don't need covers, I enquired about ones for our 9 series dometic and after a lot of phone calls to identify which ones we needed the dealer said they are in stock at Dometic UK and they're £90 each :Eeek:. Needless to say we didn't buy them.

That would've been for whole units... frame, grill and cover... ;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's not unreasonable that people have disregarded your opinion on vent covers Lenny, because it goes against the advice given by Dometic themselves in their user manual.
Moving forward I for one will be the first to support and reinforce your opinion on the matter - then we can both be ignored
As an aside I was pleased to see that having turned my fridge on yesterday afternoon that the internal temperature was 2.6 deg - which is amazing when compared with my original reeding of 14 deg with the vent covers fitted.

View attachment 136358

Enjoy Thailand!
2.6 temperatures I dream of mines never been below 5deg.

Paid €22 each for mine in Belgium.

Often cheaper to buy the complete unit in Germany than just the covers just search German eBay.

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
N
No that was just the cover, they're an odd size and colour, they tried all the ones they had but they didn't fit ,so they got in touch with dometic UK who came back with the £90 ones. Apparently they had some on the shelf....... I'm not surprised at that price.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
N

No that was just the cover, they're an odd size and colour, they tried all the ones they had but they didn't fit ,so they got in touch with dometic UK who came back with the £90 ones. Apparently they had some on the shelf....... I'm not surprised at that price.

If that was the case.... Oh Please!... daylight comes to mind...
Two pieces of plastic... f'kall to produce... in relative terms...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back